Running advice...

Options
How do I start? I suck at running and always have. I carry lots of weight and wonder if it would be easier to do once I start to lose weight... but I also heard that you lose weight at a more rapid rate if you run. I have been walking every day (during the week) for the past 5 weeks and have moved from 20 min walks up to 45 mins....and I feel like I could go further :) So, I am building up my endurance in that area but still am unable to just take off and run!

Any others that were fat when they started running who really sucked at it at first, who now do it on a regular basis? Is it bad for your knees being overweight?

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I recommend the C25K program.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There are a ton of apps and podcasts you can download to guide you through it. I just got to week nine myself and I can now run for half an hour without dying.
  • Lesley2800
    Options
    I agree with the C25K program. I'm on Week 4 and I love it and I started right away with all my extra weight. Best of luck to you!
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    Ditto on the C25K!
    I am on week two right now and I feel like a million bucks!
    I can't wait to finish the program. It takes about 8 weeks.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes, C25K. I weighed 224 lbs when I started it, so yes you can do it even if you are fat when you start. :-)

I was dying doing just 60 seconds at a time in week 1, but now I am running my first 5K this Saturday. It works!
  • missamielou
    Options
    Hi!

I used to be a lot bigger than I am now and running was torture!! Stick with it, just try and push yourself a little further each time. Always stop if you experience chest pains or anything like that, but I found that just pushing myself a little faster, or a little longer builds up. I don't know what the C25K program is but it sounds good, try and follow a program design. I always try and remember that my body is capable of more than I think and doing better than you did before is a case of mind over matter!

I used to have to stop after jogging 300 metres but now I can run 10 miles at a time. I really do fine that it makes the weight drop off me when I really go for it.

Just try and build up from what you can manage to what pushes you a little bit more each time.

Good luck!
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    yes c25k. I just finished it. I would also read about different running techniques. Also don't worry about the distance or speed until you are ready for those to increase. Just follow the program. I use the smart phone app c25k lite.
  • piratepiet
    piratepiet Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started walking 5 weeks ago. Now I go every day for about 60 minutes at a speed of 4 mph. It gets easier every day and burns alot of calories if you are heavy. I burn always around 950 calories when I walk 60 minutes. It's a great workout and it doesn't hurt your knees as running would. But you should really invest in running shoes if you want to start walking, don't use your "normal" sport shoes, I did that one week and my feet were destroyed. I started with 35 minutes, then after day 3 i did 45 min and since week number 2 i was aiming for 60 minutes. If your body tells you it can't go on then stop.

Have fun!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Running is actually good for your joints as it gets more fluids moving - the C25K program is great - the best way to become a runner is with a walk/run program. Your ligaments & joints need time to adjust to running as well are your cardio system. The C25K program allows you to progress safely. You already have a great base with all your walking! Best of luck!

I've participated in a few races and you will see people of all shapes and sizes - here's a little inspiration:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--14084-0,00.html
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I recommend the C25K program.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There are a ton of apps and podcasts you can download to guide you through it. I just got to week nine myself and I can now run for half an hour without dying.

thanks for the link imma check this one out to
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I whatever the C25K program. I did it last spring, and have run in several 5Ks since then. I also run 3-4 miles a day, 4 or 5 days a week now. I love it.
    I did the running into shape mp3s. http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/ They were awesome at keeping me going.
    Get good running shoes. Don't be afraid to go for it even if you are nervous about what the next run holds for you, you are stronger than you think. That said, listen to your body and don't be afraid to repeat a week. I repeated a week from illness.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    When I started running I weighed 336 lbs. I did most of my running on a treadmill so that there was a little more support (you kinda bounce on the treadmill). I started really slow. I would run for 1 minute at 4.0 and then walk for 3 minutes at 3.0. I slowly increased my running so that I was able to run a half marathon and eventually a full marathon. I'm not gonna lie.....it hurts like hell when you first start but every week it gets a little easier. I'm not running right now because I have tendonitis and a heel spur but I can't wait to get back to it. I did not like c25k because I need to be little slower than what it suggested when I first started. The moat important thing is to do it. Find a way that workable and stick with it.
  • bitzee
    bitzee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I completed the c25k programme and started the bridge to10k programme. It is an effective way to lose weight but fast walking the same distance burns around the same calories, its just that it takes a longer time to do it. I always wear a heart rate monitor during exercise and i burn around 100cals per mile whether walking or running. If running is not for you then dont worry if you prefer walking, just speed it up to the fastest walk you can manage :)
  • ChubbyMIgurl
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice and feedback. I am going to look into the suggestions that were given to me. I alway thought I "just am not a runner", but maybe I need to give myself a little bit more credit and a challenge. The walking is getting easier and easier so I think I am ready for the next step!! I just want to be healthy, wear cute clothes and be sexy darn it!! Thanks again all!!
  • bitzee
    bitzee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    lol! thats all I want, its not too much to ask is it? hehehe