Battling PMS (Please, More Snacks)

Options
Hey everyone. Well, ladies, really.

Totally PMSing right now, and when that's the case, I always am craving food. I just want to eat everything under the sun! Cheese, bread, etc.

Any tips for some filing snacks or thing I can eat throughout the day that are low-cal and will help curb my appetite during that time of the month?

Oh, and of course I'm retaining a lot of water....should make for an interesting Halloween costume. So any advice on that would be great too.

Replies

• jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    popcorn
  • drpurl
    drpurl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Jake is right popcorn I use an airpopper & little bit of melted butter with seasoning salt. YUMMY!
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Options
    During my last bout of PMS, I was ravenously hungry, too.

Almonds are usually my go-to food for taking the edge off of hunger. But after I thought I would kill for a can of Pringles, I searched these forums for snack ideas. One that jumped out at me was PopChips. So, I've bought a couple of bags of those for when I need to curb the potato chip craving. They satisfy the craving and there are approximately 22 chips in a serving. I'm usually perfectly satisfied with half a serving. Since they are salty, they won't help with the water retention, but drinking extra water might.

Popcorn could be another option.

I also try to keep my favorite brand of gummy bears on hand for the candy cravings. Since they're chewy then I feel like I get more satisfaction out of them than any kind of candy bar. I just count out my serving of them (or half serving if I can be satisfied with fewer) and put the bag away out of easy sight/reach.

Another suggestion would be a low-calorie popsicle/ice cream bar like the 40-calorie Fudgsicles or the Mayfield Snow Creme Stix.

But probably the best advice I read on here is to just know you're going to be hungrier, indulge it some, and get back on track when you're back to normal again.
  • crankyrobot
    crankyrobot Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    These are some great ideas. Thanks Mom2M, I love those ideas (and gummy bears :) )
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    An entire can of Fat Free Redi Whip is only 185 calories. (5 calories per serving, 37 servings - make sure it's the fat free kind) Shake it up and enjoy yourself, just remember to account for the 185 calories. LOL If you want to make it less not-healthy, put it on top of fruit or yogurt to actually get some nutrition along with your sinful PMS craving fix. ;) Whipped cream is not exactly filling LOL but it works great for when I'm craving something sweet.

You could also get a couple of different types of the 100 calorie snacks that are pre-portioned for you. Pretzels, cookie-crisps, etc. A few different types to fulfill different cravings.

For the water retention, make sure you're drinking plenty. Also, canteloupe and watermelon help out with that and are great healthy snacks, too.
  • yellodaysee
    yellodaysee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    popcorn

Said it best with this one! I love getting the mini bags of popcorn that are 100 calories. My problem with snacking is that I want more than 2 bites of something. With the popcorn I feel I'm able to do a good amount of snacking but it's still only 100 calories! Love my popcorn!! :-)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Nestle chocolate smarties. 16 -20 Smarties 100 cals I put them on a plate and eat them one at a time it really satisfies the chocolate/ sugar craving.
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    how bout baby carrots? sweet, crunchy, good for you...

my late afternoon snack pretty much every day is baby carrots, an apple, and some almonds. Fills me up, satisfies my need to crunch, and makes me happy!