Food Diary

Options
jakejacobsen
jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
It amazes me how many people ask for help with what they are loosing or gaining yet provide no information. I understand that some people keep their diary private as they are embarrassed at what they eat or drink. I was one of them. I opened my diary and have revived great advice. I would encourage everyone to make their diary public. If your embarrassed don't eat it but if you do log it.

Just this Week:

I was eating under my calories because it made good sense to me I sent my body into starvation mode and am happy that I got some advice that has restarted my weight loss. I am looking at a bigger loss this next week and have been eating more.

I have friend who was unaware that she was consuming to much sodium and some one saw their diary and pointed it out, Its my understanding she is back to losing.

Its hard to advise someone with good advice if a HUGE part of puzzle is hidden from us.

Open your diary its ok DON"T be ashamed or embarrassed most all of us are here for help and support. Just my thought, if you want good advice give as much info as possible. If you want some guesses at whats wrong keep your info to a minimum but understand that you won't receive the best advice. I have seen a post earlier today some said eat more, some said cut the calories, nobody has any idea what or where or what they are currently eating or burning as the info is not public.

Replies

• karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    but i also dislike it when someone asks for help and everyone automatically tells them to slash their calories when the person asking for advice is already only taking in about 1400/day. terrible idea? i think yes
  • soniathekitty
    soniathekitty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I made mine public right off the bat. That's a huge tool that I use on here, and when I started paying better attention, was when I noticed the amt of sodium and sugar. Yikes!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you and I make it a point to not comment on anyone staying under their calories if I can't see that they did and did it in a healthy way.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    it's good that you've received some good advice, but not everyone is asking for advice, nor are they ashamed. Different people make decisions based on what is best for them, not everyone else.
  • stampede55
    Options
    I had my diary public from day one, until recently when I decided that I needed a break from logging. Currently I'm not trying to lose weight, but trying to recover from a stressful year of softball and maintain my current weight. Plus, it was getting tiresome changing the quantities of my alcoholic beverages every 15 minutes. I plan to pick back up in January, maybe sooner. When I do I'll go public again.
  • _Buttercup_
    Options
    My diary is closed. This is not because I am ashamed of anything, but rather, because I am a private person and what I put into my body is my business.

Having said that, if I felt I wanted/needed advice, I would open it for my friends to see. Until that happens, I will leave it closed.

I understand what you're saying, though. For people who do not know how to eat in a healthy way, feedback, when requested, can be extremely helpful.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I appreciate some feedback, but, for the most part, recording the information forces me to evaluate my intake. I don't necessarily need advice, but I appreciate that which is given with good intentions.

But...I know 8 shots of Jack Daniels is counterproductive. I know 1/2 gallons of Chocolate Chip ice cream is not the smartest move.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Amen! I am so honest with everyone on here. if you ate like crap but still were under calories, I'll let you in a nice way. I'm not rude about it, I just say something like um did you forget to log your water?? Nice drinking but less sodium, or something like that. I always end with a positive note. My diary is so public for everyone to see. Even the ice cream I really didn't want to log gets added.

I also agree with Swiss. I usually don't comment unless I really LOOKED at your diary for that day.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    It is good to hear that opening your diary has revived great advice. :flowerforyou:
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    My diary is closed. This is not because I am ashamed of anything, but rather, because I am a private person and what I put into my body is my business.

Having said that, if I felt I wanted/needed advice, I would open it for my friends to see. Until that happens, I will leave it closed.

I understand what you're saying, though. For people who do not know how to eat in a healthy way, feedback, when requested, can be extremely helpful.

Amen to that! :flowerforyou:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have a closed diary. I always have. It works for me, but I don't discriminate against my open-diaried friends. :wink:
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    it's good that you've received some good advice, but not everyone is asking for advice, nor are they ashamed. Different people make decisions based on what is best for them, not everyone else.

Ditto.:-)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't ask for advice...and my diary is private.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP..

If one is asking for advice..than yes, you need to open your food diary otherwise don't ask..we are not mind readers..:laugh:

That being said..for those that don't want information given out..is fine...just your own battle and we are here if you need advice..no worries..but you know what to do..if its regarding food..lol
  • MrsBrit2007
    Options
    My diary has been public since day one, but I recently took a break from logging because I eat pretty much the same thing every day. If I eat something different, or I think I might be over for calories, I'll log it.

I don't think that any of my friends really read my diary anyway, haha.
  • Fitmomtink
    Fitmomtink Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like to look at others diaries for meal/snack ideas especially if they are under goal as sometimes I get so tired of eating the same foods & just need ideas on what else to eat. I love all MFP friends the same...wether I can see thier diary or not.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

This!!! I am so sick and tired of people thinking the worst of me because I choose to keep my diary private. I do it because I am MORE inclined to lie about what i eat if people are seeing it. And I made that decision based on what is best for ME and not so some random dude on the internet won't think it's "shameful."