heart rate monitors

haeden
haeden Posts: 183 Member
edited October 4 in Fitness and Exercise
Im kind of confused about heart rate monitors so i looked them up on amazon. So, do u have to use the watch along with chest strap? I dont think i want the watch/ wrist part, so can i just buy the chest part? Any good ideas for good chest ones?

Replies

• Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    I have the polar FT4 and i love it, measures cals, heart rate and can use it in the pool. u need to chest strap and the watch as the display is on the watch (showing u heart rate etc), the strap doesnt show u anything at all.

Hope this helps
  • haeden
    I have the polar FT4 and i love it, measures cals, heart rate and can use it in the pool. u need to chest strap and the watch as the display is on the watch (showing u heart rate etc), the strap doesnt show u anything at all.

Hope this helps

Oh ok! now i get it. now does the watch do anything else? i mean, like show time :)
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    yeah it does, I use mine as a regular watch too :smile:
  • haeden
    yeah it does, I use mine as a regular watch too :smile:
    great! thanks so much! I think i may buy one!
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Yes, it shows time. After your workout, it shows duration and average HR. If you go with one that is more than basic (I have the FT7), you can set zones (fat burn and cardio), and the display will show how much time in each zone, average HR and max HR. You can set it to beep when your HR is below or above your set zone, it tells you calorie burn (based on your weight) - I would be LOST without my HRM! I know I would have worked far too hard and lost my enthusiasm. Now I know what zones I need to work in and how to bump them up, and I also know exactly how many calories I burn based upon my actual effort rather than some chart that is "one-size-fits-all".

p.s. - they sell the straps only because people like me have a habit of misplacing them... LOL
This discussion has been closed.