Calories burned and weightlifting

Options
Hey all,

This may seem like a dumb question but do u burn calories when strength training. I lift 3-4 times a week and I used to log it but mfp never gave a value for weightlifting. So I stopped logging it.

I do triceps and chest, lats and biceps, and legs with shoulders.

I reached my goal of 155, but I'm still losing despite eating all my calories and often times going over. I limit cardio to 10 minutes on the stair master and log it as 20 minutes but I'm still losing!! I'm 5'6 btw.

Ne help would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Enter your time in cardio under strenth training.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I am not sure, do you burn calories when you're alive? Been picking my brain all day on that one...
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    You burn while lifting but how much would be the question. If you do one set, sit there for 10 min before doing another, that won't burn as much as doing 3 lifts back to back (ie.. bench, pullups, lunges)
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Absolutely you do weight lifting is an incredible way to burn calories. I mean to be honest your body burns calories by just sitting there doing nothing. Therefore anything that requires you to move will burn calories, meaning weightlifting burns a significant amount!
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    That I guess my question , how much? Should I be logging it?

I'm well aware I'm burning calories as I type this but that is not log worthy and I'm not going to eat back those calories.

I will log my weightlifting under cardio. I lift for an hour doing between 5 and 6 different exercises with 3 sets with 10 reps.
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    That I guess my question , how much? Should I be logging it?

I'm well aware I'm burning calories as I type this but that is not log worthy and I'm not going to eat back those calories.

I will log my weightlifting under cardio. I lift for an hour doing between 5 and 6 different exercises with 3 sets with 10 reps.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    There is a weight lifting category in the cardio exercise section. For the way I lift, hitt style, I think it's conservative but it's there for you. If you're losing weight in amounts that aren't consistent with your calorie counts, I bet the lifting calories are the cause.
  • montyreher
    Options
    You will burn calories weight lifting but you should also gain weight as muscle weighs more than fat therefore if you are replacing building muscle the weight should remain constant with your reduced calories unless you are not getting enough protein then that would cause the muscles to slow down in growth.
  • Jacksheadache
    Jacksheadache Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Linking to another forum here, but it's a very informative post, more specifically to what you're asking, the first section on nutrition terminology.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981