Just starting

Options
rower45
rower45 Posts: 36 Member
Hi everyone. I logged on about a month ago and then went on vacation for two weeks but I am back and ready to lose weight for my health and for summer.

I was pretty discouraged when I saw that I can only eat 1200 calories a day. How am I going to be able to do that? I'll bet with portions and with snacking, I am eating double that now! No wonder I have 14 pounds to lose.

Any suggestions for me??? Any one have an encouraging comments?

Thanks so much.

Nancy :sad:

Replies

• rower45
    Options
    Hi everyone. I logged on about a month ago and then went on vacation for two weeks but I am back and ready to lose weight for my health and for summer.

I was pretty discouraged when I saw that I can only eat 1200 calories a day. How am I going to be able to do that? I'll bet with portions and with snacking, I am eating double that now! No wonder I have 14 pounds to lose.

Any suggestions for me??? Any one have an encouraging comments?

Thanks so much.

Nancy :sad:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Hi Nancy!
    Don't forget you get to eat all your exercise calories too!!! :wink: Talk about motivation to work out!
  • lauri007
    lauri007 Posts: 16
    Options
    the excercise calories are good! i tend to have a big bowl of yoghurt with friut for breakfast and if i still need a little extra have a bit of toast, remember to have some water before you eat or if your hungry, dehydration makes you feel hungry too! goodluck
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    learn more about "clean eating"
    find foods that are nutrition dense and light on calories (lean meat, non fat yogurt, veggies like salad, green beans, broccoli, asparagus, )

increase fiber---cereals that are high fiber, low sugar

and get lots of exercise so you can eat more

good luck you can do it:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Oh girl, you only have to exercise! It will earn you more calories AND your weightloss will go faster!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love it here. I :heart: this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • rower45
    Options
    Thanks you guys! WOW. What support.

Great ideas. I checked out the exercise and when I run for 35 minutes I get a little over 300 more calories so I put the shoes on and grabbed the dog. It was like a 30 minute mile but a start. That makes it a lot more palatable. I remember doing a Scarsdale diet as a teenager and feeling really weak.

I'll check out the dense food. Already I have switched from chips to an apple at lunch.
    I want to make these calories count.

and make sure I can fit in a glass of red wine :)
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I actually get 1230 calories and I went way over that on Saturday just hanging with my husband and the kids. But I knew it in advance and did some major working out and I got and extra 500 in exercise points and believe me I needed them.

But welcome back and you will be able to do it.
  • cegibson
    cegibson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello

My name is Carolyn today I just started.:smile:
  • jomane81
    jomane81 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi! The 1200 calories is a hard thing to get used to. On the bright side, I've only been on here for about 2 weeks, and I already pretty frequently eat less than my allotted (not MUCH less, but I'm usually in the black) without feeling horribly deprived! The real eye-opener for me was my first day of MFP, when I decided to have a "light" lunch at Panera of a classic salad, mountain dew, and a cookie. It was a 1145 CALORIE MEAL!!! I just hadn't admitted to myself before then how much those cookies and sodas were costing me.

I've heard other people on here comment that they log their food BEFORE they eat. I've found that pretty helpful. Also, I try to look at my week as a whole, or at least group a few days together, rather than nit-picking over each and every day. Then, if I go over one day, I can make up for it without feeling too awful. Plus, I try to eat light and eat often. Keeps me from the hunger monster...

Good luck! :bigsmile:
    Jo
  • rower45
    Options
    thanks. I like the idea of posting before the meal because then it limits your choices at the meal. My goal this week is to post my calories every day... I figure if I do that and get in the habit, I'll make my long term goals. So far it hasn't been hard to do but on days when i am not at the computer it may be harder.

I guess I'll just keep a note book with me or write them in my palm pilot to enter later!
    See I figured that out on my own.

This is my third day and I am already thinking about how I can get some exercise in today so I can make my calorie allotment. Gotta have my glass of wine!

Yesterday a peanut butter cup put me over by 37 calories!

By the way, how do I move those little happy, sad and mad faces over into my post?
    Help. Need tech support.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    It's really easy:bigsmile: to put the little faces on your post:bigsmile: :bigsmile: while you're writing when you get to a place:heart: where you want one:heart: just click on it and some words appear (like big smile or explode or whatever the face is) and when you post your reply:embarassed: :frown: :smokin: :devil: :sick: they appear in the post

try it----its easy:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rower45
    Options
    Ok here we go.

:noway:

:huh:

:drinker: this is coffee and it's not spiked!
  • rower45
    Options
    By the way....

I LOST TWO POUNDS ALREADY!!!

YEAH.....:love:

:noway:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Chele36
    Chele36 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi MFP friends!!

Tomorrow will make 1 week since I;ve started my journey to a healthier life. And I am proud to say I've overcome some challenges as far as my eating habits , it's been hard but this site has really motivated me to keep pushing. This mornig I weighed myself and I lost 1lb. which I was very happy with. I plan to raise the bar for myself .

:happy: :laugh: :happy: :laugh: :drinker:

Thanks MFP!!
  • rower45
    Options
    I hear you Chele36,
    I think posting my food each day has made all the difference in the world. It helps me to think of what I am eating and make the best choices. I have had more fruit this week than I have in a month. Why eat Doritos when its just going to rack up the calories and I'll be hungry again.

My goal is simply to post every day and I think by staying conscious of what I am doing it motivates me to eat well and exercise. I jsut got back from a lunch time run with the dog!

Take care and hope to see more posts from you.

Nancy