Menopause Hot Flashes question answered!

Options
I am 54, went through menopause about 2 years ago. I'd have some mild hot flashes mainly at night just being too hot in bed when I knew I shouldn't. Finally I had been done with that or so I thought! I just had a yearly check up and this is what happened:

I told my doc that I thought my hot flashes were over, but they have come back this year. I had gone for months without them bothering me at night. She told me it was because I was LOSING FAT! As my fat cells empty out and shrink, they release estrogen that is trapped there so I can use that as a gauge to know that my fat stores are decreasing! That never occured to me, although I have read that being overweight will somehow cause the fat to turn to or store estrogen in both men and women. I know I am not saying it right, but higher body fat = higher estrogen levels in both men and women. So when we lose weight the estrogen floods back into the bloodstream and gives us hot flashes once again!

Replies

• sheilarosella
    sheilarosella Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info..nice to know why all of a sudden day time hot flashes have increased
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You just made my day! I was just lamenting the fact that I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I had just climbed out of a swimming pool. Making me feel old, but after reading tat I feel so much BETTER!
  • jewls1969
    Options
    Hmmmm....could this be the reason for continued irritability too?
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,027 Member
    Options
    Wow! This explains a lot! Thanks for posting it.
  • geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Amazing, I thought that I was suffering perimenopause - maybe this is my answer! Great post!
  • KarinLSmith
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Mine have been unbearable lately.
    Gosh, your weight loss is EXACTLY what I hope to accomplish to the pound! Starting weight is the same as is end weight. How tall are you? Any suggestions as I start this journey. I'm on day 2?
  • kspirit
    kspirit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Oh beautiful. Wow, no wonder those flashes seem more intense! Thanks for the information.:ohwell:
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Maybe I do want my flashes to return after all :-)
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's why I've such bad night sweats!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    bump!