Negative Calorie Intake

Options
Is it okay to burn more calories than you eat in a day?
[i.e. Say you ate 1,200 calories, then you worked out for 2 hours and burned 1,200 calories.]
:embarassed:

Replies

• FuXiaxue
    FuXiaxue Posts: 18
    Options
    [i.e. Say you ate 1,200 calories, then you worked out for 2 hours and burned 1,200 calories.]
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Of course! But according to my fitness pal you are supposed to be eating those exercise calories, so you should eat 2400 calories on that day. I usually eat around half of my exercise calories, it just depends on the person. Great job and burning so many calories!

~Leash
  • lauri007
    lauri007 Posts: 16
    Options
    yeah i guess thats fine, i burnt 1,333 calories yesterday there was no way i could eat them on top of the 4,000 i have a day even the chcolate didn't cover half of it!
  • greeneggsam
    greeneggsam Posts: 121
    Options
    That's a good way to throw your body into starvation mode. BAD IDEA!
  • greeneggsam
    greeneggsam Posts: 121
    Options
    yeah i guess thats fine, i burnt 1,333 calories yesterday there was no way i could eat them on top of the 4,000 i have a day even the chcolate didn't cover half of it!

4000 calories??? That will make most people GAIN big time. Make sure you entered your information correctly.
  • gregoryk
    gregoryk Posts: 10
    Options
    It is not a good habit to get in to. If you do it once or twice a month no big deal. If you do it every day your body will quit burning calories and you could even gain weight. You will also get no benifit from the excerise if your body does not have carbs and protien to heal and fuel. If you are trying to lose weight you should take in about 500 calories less than you burn during the day. If your rest BMR is 1600 and you burn 1200 excerising you need to eat 2200-2400 calories to keep your metabolism up. even less for more than a day or two and your metabism will slow way down.
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    so, then you are supposed to eat ALL of your calories? no matter what you do? I thought that as long as you ate at least your minimum amount (1200-1700 calories, depending on what your gender is), that anything over that that was burned would help to lose weight. Why else would Biggest Loser have a "last chance workout"? They workout in the gym for hours, and cannot be expected to eat all the calories that they consumed? I have been trying to find out an answer to this, as I regularly burn 600-800 extra calories a day in the morning, and then just eat my 1200 calories to help affect my weight in a positive manner for the next weigh-in. AM I DOING THIS WRONG? I can hardly EVER eat all the calories that I am supposed to (1310) unless I go out and eat wrong for dinner, and even then, I have extra calories left most nights that I need to consume to reach my mininum calorie (1200 a day)?
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

No it is not ok to burn more calories than you eat. Your body needs calories/fuel to survive. If you burn them all off exercising you are not leaving anything for your body to function.
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    so, then you are supposed to eat ALL of your calories? no matter what you do? I thought that as long as you ate at least your minimum amount (1200-1700 calories, depending on what your gender is), that anything over that that was burned would help to lose weight. Why else would Biggest Loser have a "last chance workout"? They workout in the gym for hours, and cannot be expected to eat all the calories that they consumed? I have been trying to find out an answer to this, as I regularly burn 600-800 extra calories a day in the morning, and then just eat my 1200 calories to help affect my weight in a positive manner for the next weigh-in. AM I DOING THIS WRONG? I can hardly EVER eat all the calories that I am supposed to (1310) unless I go out and eat wrong for dinner, and even then, I have extra calories left most nights that I need to consume to reach my mininum calorie (1200 a day)?

I don't know about you but do you have hours to spend in the gym like the contestants from biggest loser? They don't eat their calories because what kind of reality show would that be if they had so and so lost nothing and this person only lost 1 pound. That doesn't make for good reality. Common sense says you have to have something in your body and if you only eat 1200 and you burn 1200 you have nothing in your body to keep it moving.

If you don't want to eat all of them eat half. I don't eat all of mine most of the time. But then again I haven't been here that long.

Read up on the FAQ thread about eating your calories!
  • keiko
    Options

Biggest Loser contestants are under the care of a DR and others who help them know how many calories to eat.
  • FuXiaxue
    Options
    It is not a good habit to get in to. If you do it once or twice a month no big deal. If you do it every day your body will quit burning calories and you could even gain weight. You will also get no benifit from the excerise if your body does not have carbs and protien to heal and fuel. If you are trying to lose weight you should take in about 500 calories less than you burn during the day. If your rest BMR is 1600 and you burn 1200 excerising you need to eat 2200-2400 calories to keep your metabolism up. even less for more than a day or two and your metabism will slow way down.

I used to do this before I changed my eating habits and I lost 15 lbs and have not gained ANY of it back. Just so you know.

But I'll start to eat more calories than I work off then.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options

So my rest BMR is 1400. I always eat at least 1200, but if I work out and burn 400, is it ok to just eat like 1300 (1400+400-500=1300)? It sounds right to me, at least...
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    This thread below did a very comprehensive discussion about this topic on MFP.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude, but your profile says you are pro-anorexia/bulimia and what you are doing is pretty much that.
  • GaPeach1473
    GaPeach1473 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My only concern is I have a hard time even eating 1200 a day, I eat 3 meals and 2-3 healthy snacks a day, and still end up 50-60 calories short for the day. I work out 1 1/2 hours 5 days a week, and burn in the neighborhood of 600-800 extra calories.

My thing is, if you are not hungry, why should you eat?
    I do drink 1/2 gallon of water minumum a day to keep myself hydrated, so should I cut that out so I will be "more hungry"?
  • Valqis
    Options
    Not to be rude, but your profile says you are pro-anorexia/bulimia and what you are doing is pretty much that.

Who is that directed to?
  • keiko
    Options

Who is that directed to?

to the original poster. You can read her profile.

I am concerned over the reason to want to lose. Are you overweight? or are you struggling with the ana/bulemia?
  • FuXiaxue
    Options

Who is that directed to?

Directed to me, and not to be rude it doesn't say i'm 'pro ana/mia'. It says I live my life somewhat around that. You need to read closer.

After recovering, you can never really be 100% 'normal' again. By saying I live SOMEWHAT pro-ana/mia it means that I still pay far too much attention to labeled food and carefully watch my intake of food so I eat EXACTLY what I'm recommended.
    Don't try to act smart. :]
  • FuXiaxue
    Options
    Not struggling with ana/mia anymore.

I gained some weight after recovery. Trying to lose it healthy this time.
    I used to eat about 500 or less calories a day, so now I'm wondering how to lose weight a normal way.
    So this was just a simple question if I'm supposed to burn as much as I eat or not.
  • Valqis
    Options
    Both myself and my better half are overweight, so we are trying to lose weight for health reasons, among other reasons. I am almost to my goal weight, but am starting to plateau and am trying to figure out the reason why.

If it is because I do not eat enough calories due to working out and not being hungry, with my eating healthy 6 times a day, why would I not lose weight due to burning more calories than I consume. I am nibbling all day, but still only get to 1150 calories at the end of the day? The last 2 weeks I have lost a combined 3 pounds, and those have been after days that I have had EXTREMELY HEAVY (800+ calorie) EMPTY STOMACH CARDIO WORKOUTS followed by eating sensibly all day, and only having 1200-1250 calories. I have been eating that many calories regularly (9 weeks so far) and saw extremely good results (IMHO: dropped 17 pounds in the first 7 weeks) and started the 5 day workouts 3 weeks ago (which was about the time that I started to plateau). On another post, the members were advising that I needed to change up my workouts (I was working out 3 times prior with no strength training, started 5 days a week w/3 of strength and all 5 doing at least an hour of cardio when I bumped myself to 5x 3 weeks ago).

I have always been under the impression that in order to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you take in, which is why I am trying to push my body with the 600-800 calorie workouts and only eating 1200 a day, which is almost always healthy with relatively low sodium (1800 mg a day) and hi fiber and good protein amounts.

So what am I doing wrong to have me plateau like this now?