Smokers

Options
jakejacobsen
jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
Ok I know its not wise to try to change your whole life at one time as it often fails. So I have set my goal of quitting smoking to after I lost my first 50 pounds. I am some what optimistic that this should come Tuesday when I weigh in. Anyway I am a bit nervous that I will stop losing.

1) I wouldn't mind a friend to quite with if any ones interested.

2) I would love to here some successes of people who quite.

Replies

• deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Sorry this is bothering me

IT'S QUIT. NO E.

AS IN, YOU'RE CUTE WITHOUT THE E (CUT FROM THE TEAM)
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Your lipstick his collar don't bother Angel I know exactly what goes onnnnnnn
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Smokers gain weight after quitting because they eat instead of smoke. But thanks to MFP, you will keep your calories under control.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    quit cold turkey over 2 years ago. You can do this, just remember the end that you are striving for, a new healthy you that is able to freely move and breath or....
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I quit at the same time that I started to lose weight. I know, I know...taking on both at the same time seemed like a really bad idea but I guess I couldn't complain about gaining weight after I quit. I smoked my last one on July 4th and have been smoke free since. It is hard but you can do it. My motto used to be, "if i quit today, someone will be dead by tomorrow." I am happy to report that I have NOT had to hide any bodies...yet...
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I dont smoke, but I lost my mom to it 4 years ago. She finally quit, but it was too late. She was successful in quitting using the patch. She didnt have any cravings. I wish you the best of luck. I really hope you do it!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i need to quit too..im going to try this weekend, only because i have no money for more, but i do have my quit aids ( i need to because i gotta get prepared for the mudrun in 6 months too )..i hear people reach for food instead, and thats what im afraid of, but i hope fitness pal will help with that..add me if you like, and very best of luck
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I quit in January. It was the best and hardest thing I have ever done. I did it "cold turkey" since every other time i attempted to quit with the nicotine patch or gum it just felt like it extended the withdrawal. I wanted it out of my system as quickly as possible. Its crazy hard but you wont believe how much better you will feel after a few months. I did gain about 15 lbs from quitting which isnt too bad. Good luck to you and if you need support feel free to add me as a friend.
  • KathyWel
    KathyWel Posts: 140
    Options
    I have lost 84 pounds using MFP. I have been dieting since January of this year and May of this year I quit smoking. I have successfully quit smoking and continue to lose weight, although the weight loss has slowed down for me because it is very hard to do both, quit smoking and continue to diet, BUT it can be done, while I may not be losing as much weight, I am still losing. Good luck on your journey and if you ever need anyone to talk to please feel free to send me a message and/or friend me. We CAN do this!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You can do it. My husband quite 6 weeks ago and is still losing weight. One thing to note he also quit caffeine a couple of days later. He found that without the nicotine he was up all night. Per his research online he found that nicotine helps metabolize caffeine much quicker in your body (approx 2-3 times faster). This time he's been successful with no weight gain because he exercises every day.

Good luck!
  • timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The first 72 hours (3 days) are a *****. Your body cleanses itself of the nicotine during this time. The cravings are the worse because the body wants to replace the nicotine. I quite cold turkey about 2 years ago. It is tough. It is a lot like cutting back your food intake...deep breaths during the cravings and maybe a straw or toothpick to satisfy the oral fixation too. People gain weight cause they eat crazily during cravings. Plus metabolisms will change, but since you are already adjusting your metabolism through this program...shouldn't be an issue. You will see and hear people speak of the smokeless inhalers...I wouldn't recommend them. Your body will still depend on the nicotine. So if you want to free yourself from nicotine (not just the "smoking" part), then stay away from them!

GOOD LUCK...YOU CAN DO IT ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU HAVE SHOW THE WILL TO LOSE NEARLY 50 POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    Sorry this is bothering me

IT'S QUIT. NO E.

AS IN, YOU'RE CUTE WITHOUT THE E (CUT FROM THE TEAM)
    maybe it was an accident..sometimes its a habit to type an extra letter..i do it too sometimes
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I quit almost a year ago. When ya know, ya know!!! You can do it if you really want it!!! try not to snack in replacement of smoking, thats why smokers gain!! :p

p.s. I call myself a smoker, who has stopped smoking. . . something about non-smoker sounds so abrassive. .
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Ok I know its not wise to try to change your whole life at one time as it often fails. So I have set my goal of quitting smoking to after I lost my first 50 pounds. I am some what optimistic that this should come Tuesday when I weigh in. Anyway I am a bit nervous that I will stop losing.

1) I wouldn't mind a friend to quite with if any ones interested.

2) I would love to here some successes of people who quite.

I said for a few years that I'd quit after I ___________ (fill in the blank with excuse). I smoked for 10 years (only ever quit for 9 months when I was pregnant). My mom was diagnosed with lung cancer in May. I said I'd quit when she got through her surgery (to remove the upper lobe of her right lung). She came home from surgery 3 weeks later, I said I'd quit once I got home. Finally, I realized I didn't want my son to see me fat & smoking & worry about my health & the longevity of my life when he was my age (I'm only 24 and my mom is only 42). On July 29th, I smoked my last cigarette & started my healthy lifestyle change. I have not smoked another cigarette since & I hate the smell of them now. I have also lost 30 pounds since then. It's totally possible to lose weight AND quit. Just decide to do it and you can do it. I believe quitting smoking is the same as losing weight - you have to really want it & just choose to do it & you can do it. No excuses.
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Also, I did it cold turkey (no aids at all). I would go brush my teeth if I was home & had a craving. If I wasn't home, I'd chew regular, sugar-free minty gum (I smoked menthol). It was surprisingly easy for me though... *shrugs*

ETA - I am now addicted to sugar-free minty gum though. But I'd rather have that addiction than anything.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    quit cold turkey over 2 years ago.

I quit cold turkey also...wasn't cigarettes but hard nonetheless
  • Mels27
    Mels27 Posts: 2
    Options
    you can add me if you want. am smoking my last pack tonight, due to lack of money. lol no time like the present
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It sounds ludicrous to think that a book could have such a powerful impact on someone's life enough to make them quit smoking cold turkey but Allan Carr's The Easy Way to Quit Smoking did just that for me.

I smoked a pack a day for 13 years. I'd tried the patch, hypnosis, Zyban, etc. and none of them worked. i haven't had a cigarette in two years. Google the book and people's reviews of it. Read it and see if it works. If I still had my copy I'd mail it to you but I lent it to a friend.

Anyhow, good luck with quiting! You can do it.
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    agree with Cbear017. That book changed my life. Stop thinking of it as quitting...for one thing. You'll stop smoking. Quitting implies you are missing out on something and you aren't! Seriously the book is amazing, if you really want to quit. Check out the reviews on Amazon if you have doubts. They are quite inspiring. Good luck, you can do it! :smokin:
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    on day 2 right now and i want to hit stuff. this sucks but i know in the end i will be glad i did it. just not today. my husband has been cig free for 4 days. my house is volatile (sp?) right now. :sad:

however, once we get over the DTs we will be fine. My husbands habit was approx. 2 packs per day. Sometimes 3. Mine was a pack at the most. I figured if my DH can do it, then i should have no problem.