need christmas suggestions for dating my kiddos

Options
godblessourhome
godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
i love spending time with my sons individually. while i am spending time with one son, hubby is spending time with the other. each date is customized to their interests. my oldest son likes to read so we will grab a starbucks and go to barnes and noble or grab a hotdog at lowe's and hit the batting cages. my youngest son likes movies with popcorn or dinner and miniature golf. both boys love go-carts. :) we buy our boys gift cards for christmas and birthdays so our boys can 'pay' for the evening (something they begged for). i need a couple suggestions for some unique dating venues to take the boys next year so i can finish buying stocking stuffers for them. we try to do 4-5 dates during the year with each boy.

Replies

• jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    rock climbing parks are popping up all over my boys love it
  • Expatgirl
    Expatgirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bowling
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I'm just totally thrown off by he whole dating your kids thing. It's an odd term no?
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    awwwwa.....i have no suggestions...i just love what you do with them :) how sweet.
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm just totally thrown off by he whole dating your kids thing. It's an odd term no?

I thought so, too.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    rock-climbing and bowling are great ideas!
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have lots of friends who have multiple kids and the call their one-on-one time with each kid a "date." Maybe its a new thing with my generation, but its a way to give your kids some individual attention. Anyway, the word "date" originated from establishing a meeting time/place on a specific date. But my friends who do it say their kids love their Mommy dates or Daddy dates. Some churches in our area even have Father/daughter dances. Its really precious to see the girls get their Daddys all to themselves for the night. My kids are too young, but it is definitely something we might do in the future.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

I know a few people who use this term. A female friend of mine will say "Going on a date with my daughter"...and it just means she's spending one-on-one time with her daughter, sans her other kids and husband. Sometimes I actually use the term for friends. "I have a date with [insert friend's name here]"...I've had people say "You and your boyfriend broke up?" or "You're a lesbian now?" it's crazy. To me, the term just means, I have plans with someone, or a group of people. Not that I'm actually seeing this person in a romantic way. :tongue:

As for ideas....hmmm...maybe switch it up and agree to try something they've never done before? If they've never been, say, hiking...take them hiking. :smile:
  • blacktallon
    Options
    Any local zoos or museums?

Lol the word "dating" here is obviously not being used literaly. People need to stop being so uptight.
  • BondBomb
    Options
    I have lots of friends who have multiple kids and the call their one-on-one time with each kid a "date." Maybe its a new thing with my generation, but its a way to give your kids some individual attention. Anyway, the word "date" originated from establishing a meeting time/place on a specific date. But my friends who do it say their kids love their Mommy dates or Daddy dates. Some churches in our area even have Father/daughter dances. Its really precious to see the girls get their Daddys all to themselves for the night. My kids are too young, but it is definitely something we might do in the future.
    Yeah I guess. My kid does go on play dates. Just never heard it used by a parent to a kid. I will admit it creeps me out just a little. I picture some poor kid going to the prom with his mother. Just don't make your poor kids take you to prom. The other stuff you are doing with them sounds great. Unfortunately my guy is only 15 months so our 'dates' aren't very extensive.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

It's an odd term, yes.
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    How old are they? How about laser tag (or paint ball if they are older?) College basketball or football game (or professional if in the area...and you can get the tickets cheap.) Amusement parks, water parks, hiking,
  • BondBomb
    Options

Lol the word "dating" here is obviously not being used literaly. People need to stop being so uptight.
    Some people need to stop reading so much into simple comments.
  • blacktallon
    Options
    To me, the term just means, I have plans with someone, or a group of people. Not that I'm actually seeing this person in a romantic way. :tongue:

AGREED
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Which one is the favourite?
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I dislike the word dating. That's a bad way to put it. Seriously thatd screw me up even.more then I already am. Telling someone I'm going on a date with my mom! Others could take it wrong.

As for fun things, musuems, science cities, a neat off the beaten path resturaunt, cooking classes or pottery class.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    younger son would love a date at the art museum! good idea. i also think they'd both love laser tag. thanks!
  • blacktallon
    Options

Some people need to stop reading so much into simple comments.

Lol I apologise if you think I was refering to you derectly.. but I was not. :) so there is no need to be offended.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

Obviously the one who like movies, she feeds the other kid Starbucks.
  • godblessourhome
    Options

Obviously the one who like movies, she feeds the other kid Starbucks.

lol. you got me.