In need of a little pick me up.....

Options
I recently started working out this past Monday. I must say I am proud of myself for going five days straight and doing about a hour and half on the elliptical. I know it is not much, but it is a start. Any who, today I was approached by one of the trainers at the gym while working out, explaining to me proper form on the elliptical, apparently I need to bend my knees and lean a bit forward vs. a straight posture, he said I was locking my knee. I did try the trainer's advice in proper form, and I definitely felt a difference, a bigger burn in my thighs, but I also felt pain in my knee by following the form he suggested (I have bad knees from 3yrs of drill team in HS). He also explained that I would lose more weight by strength training then cardio. I know this to very true because you are gaining muscle which burns fat faster, which I intend to add in time. He went on to explaining he can schedule an evaluation and go over some machines (I must admit I feel very uncomfortable going to the weight section where all the boys are working out). While I appreciated his advice about the elliptical, and realize as a trainer you are there to help people, and I told him i would think about it but there is no way I can splurge $35+ an hour each session. Now I feel really DISCOURAGE about heading to the gym and also embarrassed.
Well, thank you for reading and any motivation you may have for me. - Bernadette

Replies

• whisperingdragon
    Options
    I wouldn't feel bad. He most likely does this with every single person who enters the gym, it's probably his job. I would go in and if he approaches you again, smile really big and say "Thanks for your advice. I'll think about it, right now I like working out alone.. but I appreciate you!"

Keep going! Don't give up and don't give in!
  • becknorton68
    Options
    No need to feel discouraged! Heck, if we all went to the gym for some trainer advice, we might not be in the shape we are in! You showed courage in going and sticking it out and listening to the trainer, even if you can't spend the money they are asking for. The trainer gave you some good tips so use what works for you and don't worry about the rest. I also have bad knees (too much basketball in HS) so I can understand the frustration with some of the equipment and how it works different body parts. I have to be careful what kind of strain I put my knees through or else I just end up limping around for the next week or so...lol.

Good luck and stick with what you can do. Of course the trainers will always try to get you to spend extra money on their services, but stay firm with them and don't let them talk you into spending more than you can afford.

Feel free to add me as a friend. The more support we all have, the greater the motivation to stick together and whip ourselves into shape! Take care, Beck
  • Gonzoxx
    Gonzoxx Posts: 27
    Options
    hi bmstxcc, well let me say it's not new that this guys who seems very nice in the beggining turn into a great business man at the end. Don't let this people make you feel discouraged. Hear this, you just have to stay focus. It's true, you could burn more calories doing strength training and then doing cardio. Shure. But he wants to make you feel like you don't know anything (explaining all of these techniques). Guess what you want a good routine, you don't even have to be on a gym (i train daily at my home, of course i have weights and bars but it's cause i want more muscle, but i think you just want to get toned), you could buy a bicycle and you have all what you need to achieve yor goal. want a good routine? let me introduce "FINAL COUNTDOWN ROUTINE". Follow this (trust me you don't need other thing to get in shape and lose FAT) . You just have to do this 4 excercises but don't underestimate them, this routine is very very hard.

THE EXCERCISES

Push up

Crunches

Dips

Squats

You may start doing 15 reps of Push ups, then (no rest between) 15 Crunches, then (no rest between) 15 Dips, then 15 squats.
    Think you've finished? NO. Rest between 1 minute or 1.5 minutes.Then you will do the same circuit but with one less rep. I mean 14 Push ups, 14 crunches, 14 dips, 14 squat. then rest (1 minute or 1.5 minutes) and come back to do the same circuit (one less rep) till you have reached to get 1 rep(circuit 13 reps/ excercise , 12 reps/ excercise, 11 reps/ excercise...) then circuit for excercise. Got it? So your workout schedule would looks like this

MONDAY: FINAL COUNTDOWN ROUTINE + 30 MINUTES OF CARDIO

Tuesday: 45-60 cardio minutes

Wednesday: FINAL COUNTDOWN ROUTINE + 30 MINUTES OF CARDIO

Thursday: 45-60 cardio minutes

Friday : FINAL COUNTDOWN ROUTINE + 30 MINUTES OF CARDIO

Saturday: walk/bike riding for 20-30 minutes

Sunday : Rest (Watch out for the number of calories you eat on your rest day, you have to eat less than the rest of the week)

Well additional to that is to keep looking your progress, you must pay attention to your nutrition. Try to sleep 7-8 hours. drink a LOT of water (more than 10 glasses). Eat your last meal 3 hours before you go to bed. Follow this my friend and i guaranteed you will get great results.

See? You get a good routine according to your goal and for FREE!!!

If you have more questions feel free to mail me and add me as a friend. Hpe my answer might be helpfull :)
  • ejllshaw
    ejllshaw Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good for you for this week! I don't know what gym you go to but at my gym they do similar things. The trainer will come up to different people make suggestions offer one free session, all that being said not every trainer is qualified. You can always do your own research on different exercises you would like to incorporate or if you are bold ask one of the regulars you see lifting. I do a half hour to 45 minutes of cardio, do my abs then I head to weights. This week I focused on my legs so I did the circuit machines 3x each at 12 reps, next week I will add in arms. Everyone has a different comfort level at the gym but don't give up, you are doing what you feel is right for you!
  • bmstxcc
    bmstxcc Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks to each one of you for the lift me up and tips! It really made me feel better!