MFP or exercise machine calories burned...

Options
Hey all

Just wondering what calories you put in to your diary when doing exercise? I go by what MFP tells me I have burned, however that is usually considerably less than what the cross trainer/running machine tells me etc.

Any thoughts much appreciated. :)

Replies

• 623Hernandez
    Options
    I am in the same boat with my elliptical. I add the two and use the average. I would love a HRM but $$$$.
  • sabcooke
    sabcooke Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i usually find mfp awards too much it doesn't tally with what my machines in gym say:(
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    if the machine is one of the fancy ones that you input your weight etc. into, and which monitors your heart rate, then I'd go for the machine reading - otherwise stick with MFP's as it will at least take your weight into consideration.

If you want to be doubly sure about it, get yourself a HRM, and use the figures from that. The Polar one's are generally well thought of - i've got one from years ago, and it's still working well, so I've not looked into the new models, but I'm sure a forum search will bring up no end of recommendations.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I use what the machine says, for me it's always lower than what MFP says. On the machines I do put in my weight, same with runkeeper. I figure I'd rather under estimate my calories burned than be over.
  • InTenn
    InTenn Posts: 99
    Options
    MFP also takes sex into account, which from what I have read, is a big factor in the algorithms. But when in doubt, pick one to use and if the desired results on your weight go the way you want, you picked right. If not, adjust. It is all just a probability curve that isn't exactly right for any of us. That said, the MFP numbers won't vary like different machines at the gym will do. I change models, or go from elliptical to treadmill to stationary bike and the numbers change in ways inconsistent with my inexpensive HRM.