Now I'm really confused. Any ideas?

Options
I just calculated my BMR, in order to stay alive, basically, I need 1740 calories.
So how come I am supposed to eat 1680?? That's only a 60 calorie deficit per day, no wonder I'm not losing!!!

Could MFP really be this wrong? I'd rather be wrong, but it doesnt make sense.
In order to lose 1 lb/week, I need a deficit of 3500 calories- with the way I'm going now, its only 420 calorie deficit per week.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I just calculated my BMR, in order to stay alive, basically, I need 1740 calories.
    So how come I am supposed to eat 1680?? That's only a 60 calorie deficit per day, no wonder I'm not losing!!!

Could MFP really be this wrong? I'd rather be wrong, but it doesnt make sense.
    In order to lose 1 lb/week, I need a deficit of 3500 calories- with the way I'm going now, its only 420 calorie deficit per week.

Any thoughts?
  • reallysteve
    Options
    I would make sure you have all of your info added in correctly. Height, Weight, Age, Check that our it should be between 3-500 difference between the two check that out.
    stevo
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    bmr is the amount of calories you body uses if it was to stay inactive all day. in other words, its the calories your body needs to breath, beat your heart, keep warm ect..

now unless your in the coma, your most likely to go around the house, brush your teeth, and all the rest of the things a normal person do and you need calories for that as well.. depending on your activity level you will burn more calories. even more if you work out ect...

mfp will add the calories you need to go thorugh your day on top of your bmr and substract some to make a deficit. and that is how you get the amount of calories you should eat.

hope that helps
    may
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I personally don't trust BMR readings because they are so different from site to site. Whenever I entered the details about myself and my daily activities I'm told that to maintain my weight I need to eat nearly 3,000 calories a day. I can tell you that I was eating that and I put on a lot of weight. Today I eat 1450 a day and work out 7 days a week and I've shed the pounds off and I've been eating very healthy.

I do trust the mechanism that's in place on MFP to set yourself up for a healthy eating plan because there you can see what you should be eating based on your level of daily activity and your weight loss goals. Working out and burning more calories while eating the initial goal amount equals weight loss - at least that's what's working for me at this point.

In previous posts I believe I've seen that people have gone to a number of BMR calculators on the web and have come up with really big differences, like I have, in what a person should be eating even after entering the same details on each site.
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    I personally don't trust BMR readings because they are so different from site to site. Whenever I entered the details about myself and my daily activities I'm told that to maintain my weight I need to eat nearly 3,000 calories a day. I can tell you that I was eating that and I put on a lot of weight. Today I eat 1450 a day and work out 7 days a week and I've shed the pounds off and I've been eating very healthy.

I do trust the mechanism that's in place on MFP to set yourself up for a healthy eating plan because there you can see what you should be eating based on your level of daily activity and your weight loss goals. Working out and burning more calories while eating the initial goal amount equals weight loss - at least that's what's working for me at this point.

In previous posts I believe I've seen that people have gone to a number of BMR calculators on the web and have come up with really big differences, like I have, in what a person should be eating even after entering the same details on each site.

BINGO......What he said. :flowerforyou:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

How did you know how to adjust your calorie intake if the BMR on here may be incorrect? As with me it shows for me to eat 1290calories to loose 2 pounds a week. How would I figure it, if it should be 1000 calories to loose 2 pounds a week instead of the 1290?:smile: