Shin Splints

Options
Can anybody let me know if there is a way of getting past shin splints? I do karate & kickboxing training and have to do some running for the warm up plus star jumps etc. Would love to actually go out and job / run but the shin splints certainly put me off. I have invested in some good trainers with good innersoles but if there is anything else out there I could try please let me know.

Replies

• chef970
    chef970 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Extend leg out at a 45 ° angle and rotate foot in a circle...this helps with the splints :-)
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    I read in a health magazine that shin splints are more likely to occur when the levels of magnesium are low in the body. You could try supplements or add more magnesium food into your diet, such as spinach, almonds, peanut butter, Avocado and kidney beans. Those are just a few examples.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Have a look here some interesting reading
    http://www.shin-splints.co.uk/

I suffer myself if i go on a treadmill, x trainer im ok with
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I switched to barefoot running.

The shoe is Vibrams five fingers

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Komodo-Sport-LS-Womans.htm

It eliminated my soreness in the shins which were horrible. At first there was some soreness in the upper thigh and calves but it was muscular and over time went away. They're safe to use in the gym and on the road. Feels like you're really barefoot!
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've always thought you just had to work through them.
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what they are exactly. Only that when I get them, my shins swell and I feel completely crippled. They suck.
  • Sandie001
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback peeps, going to check out the websites suggested, I am just so envious of people who I see out running as it is something I really want to do and be good at. Will look at the magnesium levels too, haven't heard of that one before.......
    Any more suggestions greatly appreciated.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Good running shoes and/or decent insoles.. gets rid of mine