calculating calories burned in exercise

Options
I am just wondering how accurate the MFP database is, in your opinion, for calories burned? The reason why I ask is because I keep reading posts where people are saying they've burned 800, or 1,000 calories exercising... I can't imagine that, unless I am figuring something wrong. I jogged three miles today at about 12 minutes per mile, and MFP says I burned about 350 calories (can't remember exact number). I was completely spent when finished - it felt like I burned every calorie I had in my body! I know the best way to answer this question is to get a HRM, but I don't have money to invest in gadgets right now!

Replies

• writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering how accurate the MFP database is, in your opinion, for calories burned? The reason why I ask is because I keep reading posts where people are saying they've burned 800, or 1,000 calories exercising... I can't imagine that, unless I am figuring something wrong. I jogged three miles today at about 12 minutes per mile, and MFP says I burned about 350 calories (can't remember exact number). I was completely spent when finished - it felt like I burned every calorie I had in my body! I know the best way to answer this question is to get a HRM, but I don't have money to invest in gadgets right now!
  • plussized
    plussized Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    MFP database sometimes can under estimate, but I've found, for me, its more likely to over estimate calories burned.

When reading someone saying how many calories they burned, make sure to ask about time frame. Some people may burn 1000 calories in a week. However, burning that many calories is totally possible for a workout. It depends on the intensity of the workout. While running is great, the more your body is used to it, the less intensity you are experiencing (unless you switch it up with hills, trails, etc.)

A HRM would definitely do the trick, but I am in the same boat as you are. I don't have extra money to spend $100 on one.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I find that it over estimates. The formula is based off of the average calories burned for your sex, height, weight and age.

A lot of people use other tools to help with actual calories since we are all different. I use a body bugg, others use heart rate monitors, some take the MFP info and the cardio machine info and average it out, some take MFP and reduce it by 20% or so.

But, the tool is good for starting out, at least it gives you a better idea whats doin :wink:
  • Robin_
    Robin_ Posts: 105
    Options
    It is so difficult to accurately know your number of calories burned, plus, technically, you should be deducting for your BMR calories burned per hour, as you would burn those, just sitting on the couch. For example...my BMR is approx 1400/cal/day. I am not very active, and MFP comes up with a approx daily caloric burn of 1700. ~So if I burned 600 calories through two hours of exercise, I should deduct 142 calories from that 600. (1700 divided by 24 hrs = an average calorie burn of 71 calories per hour.)
    I have yet to do a 24hr test with my HRM to see what it says I burn in a 24hr period, but I plan to! Knowledge is power!!

Now save your pennies for that heart rate monitor! :tongue: