**CLOSED** New Year, New You Week 4 Mini-Challenge

Options
This week's mini challenge is courtesy of srandle175! We're going to go with another food challenge for this week. We all have our comfort foods and most of those are not so healthy. Your challenge this week is to take one or two of your comfort foods and give them up for the week replacing them with a healthier choice! Maybe skip the fast food and cook at home. Prepare a meal from scratch instead of pre-packaged foods. Make choices that you aren't afraid to log in your diary!!!

Have a great week!

xoxoxo

Replies

• Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    oo i already have plans to make lasagna from scratch instead of buying frozen premade! now even more reason to
  • srandle175
    Options
    I will give up high fat foods like regular mayo and ranch. I will switch to non-fat or lite. My weekness is mayo. It is going to be hard to say no. I love a lot of regular mayo on my sandwiches!!!
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    oo i already have plans to make lasagna from scratch instead of buying frozen premade! now even more reason to

I'll be over as soon as dinner is done! Sounds yummy!!!
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    I will give up high fat foods like regular mayo and ranch. I will switch to non-fat or lite. My weekness is mayo. It is going to be hard to say no. I love a lot of regular mayo on my sandwiches!!!

That's a tough one! I don't do ranch but I used to do mayo! We went to Subway a week ago and I got my turkey sandwich without any mayo at all. It was quite a new experience for me. I had never had a "dry" sandwich before. It takes some getting used to!
  • nileighttig
    nileighttig Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love carbs and definitely need to eat more vegetables so i'll nick Deathwithab's idea and make lasagne but without pasta - I'll replace the lasagne with slices of roasted butternut squash and sweet potato and make a yummy tomato sauce - i'll let you know how i get on!
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I will have to think on this one! I have cravings more than a norm, I think.
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My comfort is dairy and chocolate. (milk, icecream, cheese, and anything chocolate) Today going to buy unsweetened almond milk (for my special k cereal), giving up icecream and cheese completely for a week and limiting chocolate to only protein bars.

Great challenge!!
    xoxo
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    I love carbs and definitely need to eat more vegetables so i'll nick Deathwithab's idea and make lasagne but without pasta - I'll replace the lasagne with slices of roasted butternut squash and sweet potato and make a yummy tomato sauce - i'll let you know how i get on!

You'll definitely let us know how that turns out!!!
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    Hmmm, I will have to think on this one! I have cravings more than a norm, I think.

I'm the same way! I have tried to get rid of most of my comfort foods over the last month or two so now I have to tweak it. :-)
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    My comfort is dairy and chocolate. (milk, icecream, cheese, and anything chocolate) Today going to buy unsweetened almond milk (for my special k cereal), giving up icecream and cheese completely for a week and limiting chocolate to only protein bars.

Great challenge!!
    xoxo

Hmmmm maybe I could give up cheese...but then what would I do for lunch? I eat a few slices of ham and cheese sans bread for lunch during the week. My food list is very limited! LOL My only chocolate has been my fiber bars.
  • samantha0176
    samantha0176 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i guess i can forgo my popcorn snack...cant give up much...my menu is limited and i always cook dinner from scratch(stuffed zucchini and grape leaves this week yummmmy)...i'll have to hide the popcorn box from my 2.5yo son though..if he pops a bag in the microwave i am eating some..

sam
  • MrsSpratt
    MrsSpratt Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Bah! I just gave up frozen foods for my other challenge last week. Sadly, I cannot go two weeks without my convenience foods.
    I like to bake with my daughter but don't like having tempting baked goods in the house. For this challenge, I think I will seek out some healthier cookie/brownie recipes for our projects. Does anyone have a yummy light or low fat recipe you could recommend? Thanks.
  • brendacooks
    brendacooks Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - i don't think I really have a comfort food per se...Since deciding to get healthy and lose some weight I have been really just taking care to eat less - I measure everything. My road to obesity didn't involve fast food or junk food. i am a "foodie" in that I love to cook great food and I love to eat out but only quality stuff.I have been very into the locally grown, fresh and slow food movement. I love good food and I really don't like fast food of any kind. I have never cooked dinner from a package. I own a ridiculous number of cook books and cooking magazines and I get recipes sent to me everyday online. I am sharing this only so you can know a bit about me - not to sound "good" or anything. I am obese and I really want to change that. Oh - I really like wine too. Maybe that is my "comfort food". I have already cut that way back - too many calories! I guess my other comfort was buying my lunch. I have a few really great bistros near my work and I have been buying my lunches for years. I justified it by thinking I've been making lunches for my family for over 30 years and I deserve not to have to make my lunch. For the last month since joining MFP I have made a lunch at home every day! That's a big change for me. The other thing though is that I have really enjoyed my lunches... I keep my diary open. Feel free to look anytime. Good luck with the challenge!
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    i guess i can forgo my popcorn snack...cant give up much...my menu is limited and i always cook dinner from scratch(stuffed zucchini and grape leaves this week yummmmy)...i'll have to hide the popcorn box from my 2.5yo son though..if he pops a bag in the microwave i am eating some..

sam

Ohhhh my daughter loves popcorn too. I've been working hard to resist it when she wants it. It seems to be a huge toddler snack!
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    OK, I think I have this figured out! lol...I will have NO fast food this week...it's not a comfort food thing, it's a lack of preparation for 10 hours on the road 2 days a week thing. Soooo, preparation is key this week!!! Also, my comfort food is pizza. I've been craving pizza. I LOVE LOVE LOVE pizza. I don't even have it once a month anymore, bc of the calories, so, it's now my goal to figure out a lower calorie, healthier alternative to curb this pizza craving so it doesn't drive me crazy!!!
  • RocksFlower
    RocksFlower Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My comfort foods vary, but for this challenge I will give up my sweets of any kind. No chocolate, no nothing, no matter how small the portion is. This will be touch but I know I can do it!
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    OK, I think I have this figured out! lol...I will have NO fast food this week...it's not a comfort food thing, it's a lack of preparation for 10 hours on the road 2 days a week thing. Soooo, preparation is key this week!!! Also, my comfort food is pizza. I've been craving pizza. I LOVE LOVE LOVE pizza. I don't even have it once a month anymore, bc of the calories, so, it's now my goal to figure out a lower calorie, healthier alternative to curb this pizza craving so it doesn't drive me crazy!!!

I think I'm going to join the no fast food bandwagon with you! I ate pizza this weekend because I was sick and needed my comfort food. I paid for it this morning. Let me know if you find a healthier alternative!
  • GretchenReine
    Options
    My comfort foods vary, but for this challenge I will give up my sweets of any kind. No chocolate, no nothing, no matter how small the portion is. This will be touch but I know I can do it!

No chocolate is a tough one but you can do it!
  • skinee4life
    skinee4life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time with potato chips and the fact that it is Halloween and there is a bowl full of chocolate bars calling my name. My daughter evern hid them in the oven, but I can still hear them!!!

I am going to give up all junk food this week...no chips, no chocolate, no take out food!!! My will power is really going to be tested this week!!

Have a good one MFP friends!
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I tried a low fat chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe as well as a low fat pumpkin spice cupcake recipe. (We had a potuck at church and I had to bring desserts.) Both were courtesy of Skinnytaste and both were delicious!

Tomorrow I will be making Chicken Pot Pie courtesy of my Weight Watchers days...YUM!