Any Lacto-Ovo Vegetarians?

Options
Hi everyone, I personally am not a vegetarian of any sort, but my son refuses to eat meat. He's refused for pretty much his whole life and I want to start making more meat free meals. Aside from his refusal, I know it can be healthier if done correctly as well so I don't mind also straying from meats.

Anyway, I was wondering what your favorite recipes are? What does a typical day look like for you?

Thank you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a wanna be lol, try looking some recipes up online, allrecipes.com you can search by ingredients and stuff, lot's of rice,pasta,veggies, mmm sweet potatoes, squash, soups with lentils like meatless split pea is yummy or chili w/o the meat I liked.

Also wanna make sure he's getting enough calcium, I have sesame seed bars I found, and beans, walnuts.
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of pastas. Spaghetti with marinara sauce, rice and beans [which have a lot of iron which he'll typically need because of his lack of eating meat], Quinoa...

and you can also try fake meats, like Morning Star Farms, Yves, Tofu Pups [yes, they're awesome], etc.

And as always, there is the simple recipes. You can go to www.happycow. net to find some vegetarian recipes.

Good luck!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of pastas. Spaghetti with marinara sauce, rice and beans [which have a lot of iron which he'll typically need because of his lack of eating meat], Quinoa...

and you can also try fake meats, like Morning Star Farms, Yves, Tofu Pups [yes, they're awesome], etc.

And as always, there is the simple recipes. You can go to www.happycow. net to find some vegetarian recipes.

Good luck!

Yes, right now I buy him multi-vitamins that have iron in them for that reason. I've been afraid to try tofu! Lol, silly I know. Thanks for the link and ideas :smile:
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    Well I'm a wanna be lol, try looking some recipes up online, allrecipes.com you can search by ingredients and stuff, lot's of rice,pasta,veggies, mmm sweet potatoes, squash, soups with lentils like meatless split pea is yummy or chili w/o the meat I liked.

Also wanna make sure he's getting enough calcium, I have sesame seed bars I found, and beans, walnuts.

Sesame seed bars? Did you buy them or can you make them? I love sesame seeds!
  • cobblers88
    Options
    Are you in America or the Uk?
    There are SO many amazing recipes on the internet that are incredibly easy to find. I'm vegan, which is obviously more restrictive, and even I manage to find plenty. I have a few I can share with you now...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1364/spicy-root-and-lentil-casserole This is so, so easy to make. Perfect for winter, and full of lentils, which your son really needs to start eating if he's going to go veggie! It's also only 400 cals, so even if you're dieting you can enjoy a big portion too.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3982/tomato-squash-and-spinach-curry A really easy, healthy curry you. So simple. I usually add a tin of chickpeas to fill it out a little.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/477649/three-bean-mexican-chilli This isn't too spicey, although you can spice it up a little if you like. Three different types of beans, super healthy.

Also, if you are from the UK Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstale is doing a series entirely on veg! Some great recipes, you can watch the first two episodes here - http://www.channel4.com/programmes/river-cottage/4od and there's a book which accompanies the series.
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    Are you in America or the Uk?
    There are SO many amazing recipes on the internet that are incredibly easy to find. I'm vegan, which is obviously more restrictive, and even I manage to find plenty. I have a few I can share with you now...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1364/spicy-root-and-lentil-casserole This is so, so easy to make. Perfect for winter, and full of lentils, which your son really needs to start eating if he's going to go veggie! It's also only 400 cals, so even if you're dieting you can enjoy a big portion too.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3982/tomato-squash-and-spinach-curry A really easy, healthy curry you. So simple. I usually add a tin of chickpeas to fill it out a little.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/477649/three-bean-mexican-chilli This isn't too spicey, although you can spice it up a little if you like. Three different types of beans, super healthy.

Also, if you are from the UK Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstale is doing a series entirely on veg! Some great recipes, you can watch the first two episodes here - http://www.channel4.com/programmes/river-cottage/4od and there's a book which accompanies the series.

Thanks for the great recipes! I live in the US, but thank you for link for that show! :flowerforyou:
  • sorryteacups
    Options
    I just made the switch almost two months ago and honestly I love it. I try to avoid most processed foods as well and concentrate on fresh foods (frozen veggies are fine by me as well). When I make a meal I add as many veggies to it as I can. This week I made italian vegetable quinoa (1 cup quinoa, pack of frozen broccoli, garlic, diced onion, 28 oz can diced tomatoes, eggplant, zuchinni) and that lasted about 5-6 servings for me. For recipes, I look to cookinglight.com (I have their vegetarian cookbook and love it!), wholeliving.com (which just came out with some great recipes for those with special diets for Thanksgiving), dailygarnish.com, and I recently discovered kblog.lunchboxbunch.com, which has a bunch of kid-friendly recipes. You are more than welcome to add me if you have any questions! :)
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    I just made the switch almost two months ago and honestly I love it. I try to avoid most processed foods as well and concentrate on fresh foods (frozen veggies are fine by me as well). When I make a meal I add as many veggies to it as I can. This week I made italian vegetable quinoa (1 cup quinoa, pack of frozen broccoli, garlic, diced onion, 28 oz can diced tomatoes, eggplant, zuchinni) and that lasted about 5-6 servings for me. For recipes, I look to cookinglight.com (I have their vegetarian cookbook and love it!), wholeliving.com (which just came out with some great recipes for those with special diets for Thanksgiving), dailygarnish.com, and I recently discovered kblog.lunchboxbunch.com, which has a bunch of kid-friendly recipes. You are more than welcome to add me if you have any questions! :)

Wow, that quinoa recipe sounds really good! I too, don't want to eat processed foods, I try not to now! Thanks for all the links also. I love cooking light, I have a subscription to their magazine!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Dayquasar
    Options

I bought them at a Cub Foods in the organic/health foods area they are by all the other bars like larabars and stuff they are kinda in a green and beige package and say gluten free Cafe at the top , all natural cinnamon sesame bar, they are yummy I eat like half a day since I don't like vitamin ingredients, I found a pic-http://www.iherb.com/Health-Valley-Gluten-Free-Cafe-Chocolate-Sesame-Bar-95-oz-27-g/34965?at=0 looks like you can also buy them on amazon. Also I make granola bars and put sesame seeds in em :)
  • Healthyby30
    Options

I bought them at a Cub Foods in the organic/health foods area they are by all the other bars like larabars and stuff they are kinda in a green and beige package and say gluten free Cafe at the top , all natural cinnamon sesame bar, they are yummy I eat like half a day since I don't like vitamin ingredients, I found a pic-http://www.iherb.com/Health-Valley-Gluten-Free-Cafe-Chocolate-Sesame-Bar-95-oz-27-g/34965?at=0 looks like you can also buy them on amazon. Also I make granola bars and put sesame seeds in em :)

Thanks, those look really good! I will have to remember that. I never even thought to use sesame seeds!
  • Dayquasar
    Options
    I would actually recommend making him an account on here so you can keep track of his nutrients, protein, iron and calcium for sure! It sure helps me.
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    I would actually recommend making him an account on here so you can keep track of his nutrients, protein, iron and calcium for sure! It sure helps me.

That's not a bad idea! Only problem is, for lunch, I know what I send him, but I know sometimes he doesn't eat it all! I think he eats pretty well for the most part, but I really need to start making more dinners for him, b/c now he just eats what we eat w/o the meat.

A typical day for him looks like this:

Breakfast - scrambled eggs with a little cheese and some fruit/oatmeal and fruit/cereal with milk and fruit

Lunch - PB & J (or sometimes a drizzle of honey instead of jelly/jam) on whole grain bread, yogurt, fruit and some veggies like carrots

Dinner - whatever we eat minus meat...so sometimes pasta and veggies, sometimes just veggies and bread

Snacks - fruits, veggies, yogurt, homemade granola bars

He also drinks milk with lunch everyday, sometimes breakfast. At home my kids primarily drink water. I don't really make them fruit flavored drinks (Kool-aid) or give them much juice.
  • Dayquasar
    Options
    I don't eat eggs or dairy usually, but it doesn't sound bad, he might just need more, might not be enough cals, maybe add some nuts in there pistachios have alot of iron and nuts have alot of protien, Peanut butter is good I like mine :) It's good fats.
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    Yes, he does love nuts! I give him those for snacks at school actually b/c of the protein/calories/fat. He LOVES pistachios! I made pistachio butter....really yummy!
  • Dayquasar
    Options
    Yes, he does love nuts! I give him those for snacks at school actually b/c of the protein/calories/fat. He LOVES pistachios! I made pistachio butter....really yummy!

Oooo that sounds yummy :)
  • Red5446
    Red5446 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian, but mostly eat like a lacto-ova veg. I recommend the New Moosewood Cookbook to any new vegetarians or wannabes. It's a fabulous resource. My typical day is :
    Breakfast- cereal with almond milk
    Lunch- legumes of some sort- bean tacos, lentil salads, veggie chili, etc.
    Dinner- baked potato/sweet potato sticks, veggie burgers, tortilla pizzas, pasta, veggie casserole (arabian squash from the aforementioned cookbook is my absolute favorite), grilled cheese

I'm a student, so my meals are not always traditional, e.g. main dish with two sides. I've found since going mostly vegetarian that many of my meals are contained in one bowl instead of a plate with multiple dishes.
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian, but mostly eat like a lacto-ova veg. I recommend the New Moosewood Cookbook to any new vegetarians or wannabes. It's a fabulous resource. My typical day is :
    Breakfast- cereal with almond milk
    Lunch- legumes of some sort- bean tacos, lentil salads, veggie chili, etc.
    Dinner- baked potato/sweet potato sticks, veggie burgers, tortilla pizzas, pasta, veggie casserole (arabian squash from the aforementioned cookbook is my absolute favorite), grilled cheese

I'm a student, so my meals are not always traditional, e.g. main dish with two sides. I've found since going mostly vegetarian that many of my meals are contained in one bowl instead of a plate with multiple dishes.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely check that cookbook out :flowerforyou:
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I've been a lacto ovo vegetarian since I was 16. I learned how to cook as a vegetarian when I was 16, it was a great thing to do and I have never looked back. It's been nearly 16 years now I've been a vegetarian, and always been healthy and happy being one.

My favourite go to cookbook is Mark Bittman's 'How to Cook Everything Vegetarian' - it's a great basic cookbook and many of the recipes in there have entered my permanent meal rotation. I recently bought Jamie Oliver's 30 minute meals - I think he's the most vegetarian friendly celebrity chef, so his magazine and books are worth checking out (and you will get great ideas for the rest of the family too).

You can also friend me and check out what I eat - I love mexican, stir frys, a little pasta (too carby for me to eat all the time), some curries - I even do a meat substitute and 3 veg sometimes, how anglo australian is that!

I wish you and your son all the best, and don't be frightened to push some of the cooking back onto him - it's a great skill for him to learn.
  • Healthyby30
    Options
    I've been a lacto ovo vegetarian since I was 16. I learned how to cook as a vegetarian when I was 16, it was a great thing to do and I have never looked back. It's been nearly 16 years now I've been a vegetarian, and always been healthy and happy being one.

My favourite go to cookbook is Mark Bittman's 'How to Cook Everything Vegetarian' - it's a great basic cookbook and many of the recipes in there have entered my permanent meal rotation. I recently bought Jamie Oliver's 30 minute meals - I think he's the most vegetarian friendly celebrity chef, so his magazine and books are worth checking out (and you will get great ideas for the rest of the family too).

You can also friend me and check out what I eat - I love mexican, stir frys, a little pasta (too carby for me to eat all the time), some curries - I even do a meat substitute and 3 veg sometimes, how anglo australian is that!

I wish you and your son all the best, and don't be frightened to push some of the cooking back onto him - it's a great skill for him to learn.

Thank you, I will check those things out! :)
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hello, i am a lacto ovo vegetarian. I try to do without as much as possible. It is very easy to keep meat out of your meals. There are alot of options. Do not be afraid of tofu, just make sure you get it fresh and season it right and you'll be fine. Since he is eating cheese and eggs you don't have too many vitamins to worry about. If he ever starts to not eat those i would recommend either soy milk or another fortified "milk" drink for B12. Protein is easy with beans, lentils, seeds, nuts and whole grains. Best of luck to your son and thank you for taking the time to make him do this right.

vegweb.com and theveganzombie.com has alot of great recipies.