5 diet foods that make you FAT

Options
The Sugar-Packed Snack: Yogurt
Brace yourself for culture shock. Plain yogurt naturally contains about 16 grams of sugar per cup. But if you eat flavored yogurt, you could be downing 15 or more additional grams of sugar, which is like shoveling in four extra teaspoonfuls.
The Tricky Treat: Sugar-Free Cookies and Candy
Don't fall for the no-sugar scam: When manufacturers remove the sweet stuff, they often add fat. One popular brand offers chocolate-chip cookies that each contain 160 calories and 9 grams of fat, so why not eat the real thing? You might save calories with sugar-free candy, but many contain sorbitol, which can cause bloating and diarrhea.

The Backpack Bad Guy: Trail Mix
Store-bought versions of this hiking staple should take a hike. A 1-ounce handful of banana chips packs 10 grams of fat (they're usually deep-fried), and yogurt-covered raisins are coated with partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, which contains saturated and trans fats.

The Mediocre Munchie: Veggie Chips
The rainbow-hued chips are no better than their potato counterparts. While both may boast a little vitamin A or C, your hips won't know the difference: The salty snacks have about 150 calories and 9 or 10 grams of fat per handful. And that bag may contain plain old chips in disguise; sometimes manufacturers simply add food coloring to potato flour.

The Cereal Saboteur: Granola
Pancakes drowned in syrup, eggs swimming in hollandaise sauce -- is there a healthy option on the brunch menu? Granola seems harmless, but it's no breakfast of champions. One cup contains up to 560 calories and 28 grams of fat before you add milk.

Replies

• lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You are so right!! Granola is soooooo loaded with calories!! And so are the other things...I do eat light yogurt....the fat free version, to get my calcium in. I mix it with fiber 1 cereal which is a better choice than granola.....Great post!
  • debgcook
    Options
    Agree with you on the cereals. I wish they would remove all sugar from cereals. And if people want sugar on their cereal put it on yourself.
  • YVL93
    YVL93 Posts: 121
    Options
    agree. but the sugar in plain non fat yogurt are good sugar from milk
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think I must have missed something. Trail mix is supposed to be packed with calories, it's meant to be high calorie, light to carry food you take on long hikes. I mean, 8 hour plus, not a 2 hour dawdle.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    agree. but the sugar in plain non fat yogurt are good sugar from milk

Indeed, this is where I get the basis of my sugars/carbohydrates on lower/moderate carb days and plain greek yogurt makes an excellent post workout food for this very reason, dairy induces a small insulin response and you actually want that post workout to help you grow/repair...
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    You can make your own trail mix and granola without all the extra added junk and sugar. You can get dried fruits sweetened with fruit juice instead of oil and sugar. And it's much better to eat whole foods than processed or sugar-free foods that your body doesn't know how to digest.

Also make your own veggie chips with kale - best thing EVER! :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ::sigh::

no single food or macro makes you fat, a consistent surplus of calories does
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have granola sweetened with agave nectar, no added fat. It's yummy.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ::sigh::

no single food or macro makes you fat, a consistent surplus of calories does

Yeah, I think she's just pointing out higher calorie foods that people have little to no discretion over portion size for calorie control, lol, nom nom nom nuts!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    ***Thanks*** Nice post. . thank you so much for sharing. @Live2Dream. . Awesome suggestions as usual. . .