Help I can't eat my calories!

Options
First of all, my husband and I started my fitness pal a week ago today. We decided it was time to get healthy and in shape. Well, I am having a difficult time eating my calories. I am at 1200 a day and I exercise about an hour a day 6 days a week so I am given more calories to eat. But I have yet to achieve the 1200 mark. I know my body is in starvation mode so the effort I'm putting in by eating healthy and exercising is null and void. What can I do different? Would I loose weight faster if I were eating the calories?

Prob is I've never been a big eater, just have always eaten junk. Now I'm eating healthy and really watching what I eat, l can't get the calories in. I have this vision in my head that if I give in and eat more that I will not stop and I want so bad to loose the weight and get in shape. Any advice??

Replies

• magnolia1077
    Options
    First of all, my husband and I started my fitness pal a week ago today. We decided it was time to get healthy and in shape. Well, I am having a difficult time eating my calories. I am at 1200 a day and I exercise about an hour a day 6 days a week so I am given more calories to eat. But I have yet to achieve the 1200 mark. I know my body is in starvation mode so the effort I'm putting in by eating healthy and exercising is null and void. What can I do different? Would I loose weight faster if I were eating the calories?

Prob is I've never been a big eater, just have always eaten junk. Now I'm eating healthy and really watching what I eat, l can't get the calories in. I have this vision in my head that if I give in and eat more that I will not stop and I want so bad to loose the weight and get in shape. Any advice??
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Just eat larger portions of the same healthy food. Plan your meals and stop when your plate is clean. Don't go back for seconds if you can't afford it. But don't starve yourself out of fear, either.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    supplement your snacks with higher calorie, still good for you foods like almonds, peanut butter, etc... that will boost calorie count without being a ton more food, and still healthy choices.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    my secret weapon for those days when it seems like you just cant eat those calories : Natural peanut butter... seriously 1 Tablespoon is 100 calories on average... you do the math. Even if you eat it straight up.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    my secret weapon for those days when it seems like you just cant eat those calories : Natural peanut butter... seriously 1 Tablespoon is 100 calories on average... you do the math. Even if you eat it straight up.

I have never had a day in my life when I could not eat 1200 calories I dont get it at all
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

I have never had a day in my life when I could not eat 1200 calories I dont get it at all

Nope-- me neither.:ohwell:
  • swiftyoung
    swiftyoung Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try snacking with nuts (almonds) 1/4 cup 170 cals.
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    Hopefully one day I can have the problem of not being able to eat my calories. Sorry I can't help, right now I am struggling to stay at the 1200 level.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options

Nope-- me neither.:ohwell:

Add me too. I wish i had this problem. :laugh:
  • magnolia1077
    Options
    This is new to me too! I didn't get to be 200 lbs by NOT eating. :drinker:
  • chunkabutt25
    chunkabutt25 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This is a big issue for me too! im busy and not home a lot so my meals arent usually meals. Its 7:15 pm right now and Ive only ate 500 calories! I feel as long as your not hungry, theirs no need to force feed yourself, listen to your body! My calorie intake fluxuates a lot and im consistantly losing weight. Good luck!!!
  • amyslaunwhite80
    amyslaunwhite80 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your body needs at least 1200 calories to function properly. You will find it harder to lose weight if your not eating enough. I find it hard sometimes too to get 1200 when your not eating junk food. I eat nuts or natural peanut butter or if I don't feel like eating any more or if I have already had all my fat for the day I'll have a glass or orange juice for some extra calories. Good luck!
  • fortyandfab
    Options
    The problem is that you are trying too hard to "DIET" You need to make sensible choices with everyday normal food and then you will be able to get the calories in. Don't try to live off of veggies and fruit. You still need your protein and some carbs. If you continue to eat this way, It will become a lifestyle change and you will be much more successful - try the Acai Berry Supplements too - they are awesome (if you get the right one!) Good Luck!
  • MattySparky
    Options
    edit
  • MattySparky
    Options

I know its hard to imagine a world where everyone is different, but just try LOL. I guess some people dont have big appetites like us.
  • Shadowpaws
    Shadowpaws Posts: 109
    Options
    I have the problem where I'm just afraid of eating the calories I'm alotted by MFP. :frown:

It just seems like too much! I had to force myself to eat 1,200 calories today :sad:
  • MattySparky
    Options
    well if it helps I was stuck on a "plateau" for over a week and a half when I decided to actually up my calorie intake. I didn't keep them up, only for a few days, but it was enough to make me start losing again. Eat the calories!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I know its hard to imagine a world where everyone is different, but just try LOL. I guess some people dont have big appetites like us.

ok...I tried it and still cannot imagine it.....sorry...not buying it...1200 cals is not a big appetite,,,I eat 2400 (with my exercise cals) and could still eat more easily...I think not being able to hit 1200 is a diet mentality and not a body function
  • Shadowpaws
    Shadowpaws Posts: 109
    Options

ok...I tried it and still cannot imagine it.....sorry...not buying it...1200 cals is not a big appetite,,,I eat 2400 (with my exercise cals) and could still eat more easily...I think not being able to hit 1200 is a diet mentality and not a body function
    Not necessarily. I tend to eat when I'm hungry. Cutting down my calories has taught me how to eat when I'm hungry; and don't eat when I'm not.

I can eat 800-900 calories no problem; it covers breakfast, lunch, and dinner... along with a snack or two. Two months ago, I could eat everything in the house; but that was habit, not for hunger. The problem is going past 900 calories. I'm not hungry, so my mind tells me not to eat I guess. So, when that happens... I have to force down the calories that'll get me to 1,200
  • irreligiouspiety07
    Options
    You'll be fine!

But if you REALLY cannot eat your extra calorie.

* takes out a plate* you can donate them to me! hehehe
    :)