I want to improve my health and lose weight

Hi, I joined on the April 4th and have been looking through many of the posts for encouragement and healthy food ideas. Usually I lurk instead of posting, which has not helped me, so it is time to change that along with my lack of exercise and poor eating habits.

When I logged in my weight for the first time, I used my scale which is old and seems to be off since I weighed in today with a digital scale and it is a 5 lb difference. Now, I know with what I have logged for food and exercise makes a 5 lb loss impossible to ignore the loss that will probably show up on my tracker.

Here is a little about myself, I am 5'1", 155 lbs. and I hope to lose around 40 lbs. I enjoy fruits and vegetables but I can't seem to find the right dressing so I can enjoy salads, the only one I love is ranch and I'm not going that route again. My husband is the cook so we are working on healthy meals I can take to work during the week.

Thanks for reading about me, let me know if there is anything that helped you when starting out or quotes that help you keep going. :wink:

Replies

• BGent
    BGent Posts: 112
    Hi, I joined on the April 4th and have been looking through many of the posts for encouragement and healthy food ideas. Usually I lurk instead of posting, which has not helped me, so it is time to change that along with my lack of exercise and poor eating habits.

When I logged in my weight for the first time, I used my scale which is old and seems to be off since I weighed in today with a digital scale and it is a 5 lb difference. Now, I know with what I have logged for food and exercise makes a 5 lb loss impossible to ignore the loss that will probably show up on my tracker.

Here is a little about myself, I am 5'1", 155 lbs. and I hope to lose around 40 lbs. I enjoy fruits and vegetables but I can't seem to find the right dressing so I can enjoy salads, the only one I love is ranch and I'm not going that route again. My husband is the cook so we are working on healthy meals I can take to work during the week.

Thanks for reading about me, let me know if there is anything that helped you when starting out or quotes that help you keep going. :wink:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Hi B and welcome to the great discussions on MFP

I've learned a lot from all the great people on this site.

have you tried Newman's Own Natural Salad Mist---they are one or two calories per spray and have some great flavors. I used 7 sprays of Asian Sesame. We've been using them for a couple of months----we have salad at least one meal a day and we love them and will never go back to fat filled calorie filled sodium filled other stuff.

good luck on your journey----take it one day at a time and take baby steps.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • lreilly16
    lreilly16 Posts: 26 Member
    Welcome to the site! I too am new on here and will second that I have always been a lurker and never a poster. I am hoping you change that too. However, can I ask a stupid question? How did you start your own thread? I can't seem to figure that part out...I can only figure out how to reply? Good Luck to you!!

Thanks
    L
  • chunkabutt25
    chunkabutt25 Posts: 277 Member
    Welcome! I know how you feel about ranch, i used to dip anthing possible in it lol, I just steer clear of it totally now but I hear that Kraft has a good low cal ranch, i just havent looked! Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • try the Wish Bone Salad Spritzers. They are low in fat and low in calories, and tasty too. :smile: They have several varieties but I love the Caesars and Asian Sesame.
    Your taste buds will soon get used to the healthier choices. Just keep on keeping on.....:happy:
  • BGent
    Thanks barbiecat! This may make you a little sad and maybe laugh. I was reading your post to my husband and said, "we have Asian Sesame...it is on the bottom shelf." I quickly walked in there and sure enough it was there, unopened and expired. I will go buy more and actually try it this time. Whoops! :ohwell:

Ireilly16, good luck to you too! There is a button like the one you see for post reply that says new topic, it is at the top of screen and I believe also the bottom.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    However, can I ask a stupid question? How did you start your own thread? I can't seem to figure that part out...I can only figure out how to reply? Good Luck to you!!

Thanks
    L

go to "community" then choose a category (like introduce yourself or motivation, etc}
    at the top there is a box that says "new topic"

good luck
  • BGent
    Hi, chunkabutt25 and pinky0519! I have tried low fat ranch a few times, some can look past the difference but I just can't do it. I figured with all the stuff they put in there it is probably better for me to just stay away from it. :happy:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member

Welcome to MFP!!! The thing that helped me the most when I started is logging all meals BEFORE you eat them. Good luck to you!!!:flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love it here. I :heart: this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.:smile::flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: