protein gold mines

Options
I've been on herbalife for a little over a week and I can only have 1300 calories a day and I need to take in 102 grams of protein per day. So its really been a puzzle trying to find the best foods to snack on to get my protein up and keep my calories down, without breaking the bank and buying protein powers. Here are some great protein sources I have found:

Plain greek yogurt fat free (I've been using lucerne cause its cheap): per ounce: 15 calories, 2 grams of protein (I like to add 4 ounces to my herbalife shakes)

1 percent cottage cheese (cause fat free is mcnasty): 1/2 cup- 90 calories and 13 grams of protein

Canned tuna fish: 1 cup= 179 calories 39 grams of protein!!!!! awesome (just curious to those reading this, should I be worried about mercury poisoning with eating tuna everyday) a half cup would be about 20 grams of protein and about 90 calories, still great!

4 oz chicken breast baked: 90 calories 22 grams protein

morning star sausage patty: 80 calories 10 grams of protein

anyone else have any suggestions. It would be helpful if you would take the time to post serving sizes w/ calories and protein grams.

Replies

• meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms! 1 mushroom sautéed = 6cals 1g of protein
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms! 1 mushroom sautéed = 6cals 1g of protein
    I had no idea! yum!
  • theboxer
    Options
    I know speaking with a Dietician/Nutritionist is not always available or feasible but there are some great websites that can point you in the right direction if you look. My first thing I wanted to ask is who told you to eat that much protien? Protien powders can be added to an already balanced diet but why? Even athletes dont 'load-up' on Protien powders, they load up on (good) Carboyhdrates because that is what provides both short and long term energy to your body, and its a myth that eating more protein powder is going to get you bigger and stonger. Training gets you bigger. Eating balanced meals will do more for you than just eating powder alone :)

A proper assessment cant be done online without getting more information but I hope that will at least peak your interest. Everyone, everywhere has a 'diet' plan and it gets confusing. I know. Tell me what your goals are and maybe I can help. :)
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    Switch up the tuna with salmon (tilapia, cod, any other fish) once in a while. I get mine from costco....6oz packs in 37 grams of protein! Eggs...also awesome. Def a great b-fast, snack once or twice a week; 2 eggs ~ 12 grams of protein. Cheese also...an ounce of sharp cheddar will run 110 cals & 7g of protein. Quaker's weight control is also a favorite of mine, 160 cals & 7 g of protein & 6 g of fiber!
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I know speaking with a Dietician/Nutritionist is not always available or feasible but there are some great websites that can point you in the right direction if you look. My first thing I wanted to ask is who told you to eat that much protien? Protien powders can be added to an already balanced diet but why?

I'm on herbalife and based on my body stats thats what was recommended to me by my weight loss coach to help me lose body fat while not losing my muscles.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Like theboxer said, everyone is going to have their nutrition suited to how they see fit. Here are the numbers I use for determining my macro ratios.

1. Protein: A minimum of 1g per lb of body weight
    2. Fat: A minimum of .4g per lb of body weight
    3. Carbohydrates: The remainder of my calories, usually in complex forms.

Whole food choices are going to be your best options but it's fact that some just cant seem to get enough protein from whole food (?boggle?) which is where the protein powder can assist with picking up the slack as a 'supplement.' You mentioned it was expensive to buy protein. $0.71 per serving is cheap if you ask me. 5lbs of protein lasts my wife 3 to 4 months. At $55 per 5lbs, it's a minimal expense when you compare it to buying food, some of which could go bad and end up in the trash.

I'm not sure if your bodycoach costs you anything but if it is, you can absolutely learn to do everything they are telling you, yourself. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here willing to help as well.

Email me your height, weight, age, every day activity level, workout routines and what your goal is and I'll send you some info.
  • mmleclerc
    Options
    Egg Whites only - 17 calories for 3.6 grams of protein.