Type 1 Diabetes

Options
I'm new here and would like to know if there is anyone out there with Type 1 Diabetes just trying to stay healthy?

Replies

• boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    welcome
  • BigMamaDiva
    Options
    I am type 2. Losing weight to reverse it!
  • stevierar
    Options
    One of my friends has Type 1 and doesn't want to join here because she doesn't feel it'd work with her diabetes. How do you find it? As she'd like to join otherwise.
  • boggyman
    Options
    Just started today. Have been type 1 over 40 years and just want to maintain good habits and control. So far, the site seems very easy and motivating.
  • donne103
    donne103 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm a Type 1, have been for 15 years now (I'm 28). I've been here for about 8 weeks and have lost 11lbs so far (more, but I don't weigh in until Friday!). Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • EmilyV80
    EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been a type 1 diabetic for 15 years. (I'm 30) Welcome!
  • deedee6464
    Options
    Hi im new and i have type 2. Had it for 4years that i know of.
  • jLAVA82
    jLAVA82 Posts: 17
    Options
    HI! I am 29 years old and a type 1 diabetic. I wear an insulin pump and have been diabetic for 8 years. I have 2 beautiful little girls and a very supportive husband (very important when trying to lose weight). I LOVE MFP and have lost almost 15 pounds in just under 45 days! THis program definitely works for diabetics, there's just some things you have to keep in mind when you're selecting your foods.

I would love to follow anyone else with type 1...there are so many frustrations that come along with diabetes and it's so nice to share and support with people who literally know what you are going through!!!

Good luck all! :0)
  • Devonanne
    Devonanne Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just joined and am type 1 also - have been since I was 18 months old, so for me there has never been any other way of life (probably the easiest way to go if you have to be diabetic, haha). Feel free to add me!
  • Kelene616
    Kelene616 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 28in and have been diabetic for 25 years. This site helps a lot! Add me if you'd like. I'm here everyday and welcome new friends :-)
  • alex75man
    alex75man Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am type 1 and on a medtronic pump. I have 5 daughters ages 27 to 18
  • subzerolv
    subzerolv Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed T2 in 2009. Great community here!

Welcome aboard.
  • mmcwilliams11
    Options
    Hi all...I am a newly diagnosed type 1 here at age 28. I am trying to start off on the right foot and have found MFP to be very helpful with counting carbs and with weight loss. Any tips for someone new to dealing with type 1 diabetes especially with dieting, exercising and normal life stuff? I think I am the honeymoon phase and have been riding pretty low but I don't want to slow down the diet/exercise....thanks all in advance!
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Type 1 here also for the past 15 years. I have been using an insulin pump the last 6 years and love. Even though I have "only" loss 15 pounds since last Oct my insulin sensitivity has increased. Meaning I take less insulin for the amount of carbohydrates I would have this time last year.

Once you figure you how many carbs your body needs pre/post workout it will be easier but its a constant change. Being the Big D isn't any different in the way of how your supposed to eat healthy and exercise.

The best thing for blood sugars 55-70 is a 8 or 10 ounce bottle of juice. The calories are only 130-140 depending on the juice. Just make sure not to freak out when low and over eat. I know sometimes that is IMPOSSIBLE but it IS OK!!! Just eat less the next day or workout harder.
  • fatty2fit88
    fatty2fit88 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Battles for type 1 insulin deficient diabetics are definitely much greater than type 2 insulin resistant diabetics; as you guys are on insulin and need to make sure you do not have hypoglycemic episodes!!

If you are exercising, PLEASE talk to your clinician because you need to be adjusting your insulin/snacks accordingly.

I appreciate that it is a challenge losing weight with this condition....but remember in type 1 DM patients...hypoglycemic episodes are FAR MORE dangerous than diabetic ketoacidosis...so please please be careful and do not do any diet/exercise without doctors supervision!
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Me! =)
  • baybear14
    baybear14 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic, but my son was diagnosed last year. Still trying to learn about this disease. Please feel free to add me as a friend, as I still have lots of questions.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Type 1 here since 1990 and MDI. I am almost to "goal weight" but the food logging is handy for carb counting and such and it's nice to have the option to look back and see patterns with blood sugar and different types of food I've eaten..
  • rukia30
    rukia30 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi all I am also a type1 diabetic, newly diagnosed at age 32. I am on a insulin pump and i also have Hypothyroidism. I don't know if any of you have heard about http://www.tudiabetes.org/ It is a great community for type 1 and type 2. At any rate I have gained all the weight I had lost due to high sugars once I was put on insulin, I am now in the try not and give up part of my life. This was truely a life altering event, I was diagnosed with type2 and then the anti-body test was done and I had 2 of the 3 antibodies present, so my world got flipped upside down. I would love to converse with you all on this journey!
  • tori12308
    Options
    Hi , new to MFP , and I've had type 1 diabetes for 30 yrs now . Seems this site would be a great tool to help get health and stay that way . Please feel free to add me as a friend , the support would be great .