Designing a workout routine

Options
How do you all go about building a workout routine? Do you find a DVD and follow that a few times a week? Just do cardio? Yoga?

I have the desire to do something EVERY day, but I'm not sure if I should be following a program, a DVD series, following youtube videos? I need some help.

The equipment I have right now:

I set up equipment that I make-shifted out of things laying around:
-a wheelbarrow to push and pull with weight in it
-a block of wood to jump from a standstill over
-a sandbag tied to roped that I can run with and drag behind me
-I have fence rails I can use for modified push ups

I also have-
5lb, 15lb and 20lb KB's
8 and 15lb dumbells
a 10lb medicine ball
JM Yoga workout DVD
JM Shred it with Weights DVD
P90X set

Do I just pick one of these to do each day, or should I be using one in conjunction with another? Maybe I have TOO MUCH choice. Should I just choose to go for a walk daily and pick an activity from the list above to do? Or should I be working only legs once day, back one day, arms one day, etc?

What would you all do?
Thanks!!

Replies

• dannylives
    Options
    I have to request you.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    you are intense and scare the crap out of me.

i have no clue.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Do what you enjoy at a time each day you can eekk out a block and go for it. You will probably start to see a routine, so go with that. Easier it is to fit into your day, the more likely you are to stick with it. Work hard but don't overdo or burnout. Good luck!
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    bump (thanks for the replies thus far!)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goals are. I designed one based on the principles that are in Tom Venuto's e-book Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. I joined a gym so I do 3 days of weights per week. I do 2 cardio kickboxing classes a week, I also run on the treadmill, and use the step-mill. At home I do some cardio videos and PiYo videos (I am a non-practicing PiYo instructor, lol).

Whatever you do, I find it most helpful to write it down and stay on top of things. If it is not written down, I tend to make more excuses not to do anything at all. Also, with weight routines, make sure you are not working the same muscle groups on consecutive days. Other than that, the possibilities are endless depending on your goals.

Of course since you have P90X, you techincally could just do that program for the time being while you are concocting something new and different.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Lots going on here, I'll try and break it down.

How do you all go about building a workout routine? I train for specificity, first and foremost. Is your goal weight loss, weight gain, running a marathon, increasing cardiovascular endurance?

Do you find a DVD and follow that a few times a week? Just do cardio? Yoga? DVD's are pretty popular here, but I use them as a last resort. IMO it's more beneficial to get outside or be around likeminded people, if trapped inside. Just doing cardio is great if your goal is to improve your cardiovascular endurance or VO2 max. Yoga's great if you need to improve flexibility, de-stress, or if you enjoy it.

Don't work out hardcore every day. Give yourself at least one rest day per week. For me, rest day involves stretching or yoga or walking around without my HRM.

The tools you utilize and the program you design should have one very clear goal: to get you to YOUR goal. Don't do everything just because you can, incorporate the equipment when beneficial.

Your split routine (if you decide to do weight training splits) is primarily determined by your experience level and goals.

PM me with your goals and I can help create a routine.
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    Just get up and do something. My cardio sucked today but I am good with that because I did do the weights today. Did my curls, shoulder press, triceps etc. Tomorrow I will hit the cardio hard only because I did very little today. I walked 1/2 mile instead of 2 today. While I don't agree with MFP not giving credit for strength training, this is how you try and keep young.

I can't take my dumbells to central america but I will have resistance bands and will be walking, hiking lots. I am seriously hoping I come back no worse for wear. That being said a few mile walk everyday in Central America is easier said than done.

Up early and get out, swim then lay in the hammock. I am hoping clean eating principals can be applied but I will be relying on restaurant food. I will have a kitchen for 3 days so I am hoping I fair ok. I will be more active than usual so even with the straying I think all will be ok. I hate the pedometer but I will probably do more than 10K steps a day.

Start gradually and work up. Do 10 curls today for 1 set, 2 days later do 12. Find something that you will do.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Usually I just do a variety of exercise videos. I choose what I want to do the day of sometimes so that I don't have to dread the workout that I said I was going to do.

But currently I'm aiming to do Insanity 3x a week, abs 3x a week (Cardio abs from Insanity and Extreme Abs from ChaLEAN Xtreme) and yoga 2x a week (Yoga Meltdown). Next month I want to aim for Insanity 2x a week (or 3x a week, two full and 1 20 minute workout), Ripped in 30 or 30 Day Shred 3x a week (or 2 if I do 3 Insanity) and Abs 3x a week still. I download my workout videos (I know...I'm bad...). I always have a variety or else I get bored. I tried doing 30 Day Shred but only got just barely into Level 2 and I was sooooooo bored from doing the exact same thing every day.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of problems structuring something for myself. Partially because I just wasn't sure about the right mix and partially because I love running, so I just wanted to run every night. But after too many injuries from running every single night and not seeing any improvements in pace I went searching for a structured plan.

After reading a bunch, I decided on Hal Higdon's 10K plan. I wasn't training for a 10K at the time (I am now though. lol) but it was like night and day. My strength is improving on an almost weekly basis and I'm running stronger, faster and more efficiently than I ever have. Plus I've been injury free the whole time I've been following the plan. Here's what my schedule looks like:

Sun - My long run day, add a half a mile each week
    Mon - Strength and stretch. I lift heavy, full body on each set (I have "circuit" of upper and lower body that keeps the muscle groups alternating within the sets, do three sets of my "circuit", with about 8-10 minutes of stretching and a 3 minute slow-pace walk in between each set)
    Tue - 3 mile run
    Wed - Cross training, gradually increasing amount of time spent each week. (I rotate between stationary bike, elliptical and arc trainer)
    Thu - 2 mile run and strength. For the strength I either do the same 3 sets I do on Monday, 2 of the same sets, or a trio of Kettlebell workouts (just depends on my mood. lol)
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - Cross train, longer than the Wed session but rotate the same options (never do the same on both days within the same week)
  • Vodkha
    Options
    Anyone else have their routines they want to share?
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to get one going that works for me, so I could use some help too, haha. There have been times when I've done an hour of yoga every day, and days when I've run every day. I'm aiming to set something up where I can incorporate running, yoga, and weight training.
  • Vodkha
    Options
    See id rather do some form of weights and HIIT than long disyance running. Im sure once and awhile its nice but Im just too lazy.
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    with balance in mind.

When building a routine with KBs or clubs it's easy to have balance because they're a full body tool. Otherwise try to get opposing groups in the same day. Biceps and triceps, chest and lats/shoulders, lower back and abs. To often people focus on the muscle that pops and ignore the rest. That's a formula for imbalance and injury.
  • NPetrakis
    Options
    I miss read your post sorry.

I like the kettlebell as they're a full body muscle workout and provide cardio as well.
    Your bells seem light. A good starting weight for a average adult male is 16kg and female is 8kg.
    Be REAL careful starting off, good form is everything when using kettlebells and good
    instruction will go a long way in avoiding injury.

Stretching is a must. Be limber or be hurt. Dont just stretch muscles, stretch joints as well. Look up
    joint mobility exercises. Theyre all over the net on video.

The dragging and hopping and stuff is all great fun. Be careful. This stuff can spike your HR like you
    wont believe. Get a wrist monitor and use it. Going from couch to MMA training in a day is dangerous.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    haha well i wouldn't exactly say I've done long distance running. I was topping out at 4 miles / 5.5 or 5.7mph. There are things I really like about running, and if I can build up my strength and stamina to get faster speeds and run longer I think it would be pretty great. I have to (eventually) have some goals to work towards, and I think doing some races could be good. I would have a long way to work up to that though. I might be able to do like a 5k right now, but that would definitely be my limit.
  • Vodkha
    Options
    I'm a girl...I just weight weigh as much as a guy. Lol. What lb of KB should I use?
  • NPetrakis
    Options
    start with the 8kg -10kg range. You would be surprised how much they weigh when they're being swung around. Or, see a trainer and they will help you find the optimum starting weight for you.
  • Vodkha
    Options
    Has anyone done the Spartacus work out? I know, I know, cheesy name for it, but effective workout?
  • Vodkha
    Options
    Here is a link to the website http://www.menshealth.com/spartacus/workouts/
  • MegTK
    MegTK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1) I have started running three days a week. Saturday are my "long runs" (I don't run long at all and by long I mean two-three miles). Sundays are my 2 mile runs and Tuesday I get in about a mile due to time constraint.

2) I go to dance two days a week. I take ballet and core on Wednesdays and then ballet and jazz on Thursdays. It's about 2 hours each night.

Fridays and Mondays I don't do anything. By Fridays I'm usually pretty sore and need the recovery.