Couch to 5K

Options
I'm new to this community. And I'm glad to see that there are so many beginning runners. I just took it up. And I honestly, at this point in time, hate it but I do intend to stick with it.

I signed up for a 5K and will run in it if it kills me. And it just might. LOL

I am using the Couch to 5K in 9 Weeks but I know it will be more like 12 weeks. That's fine. The 5K isn't until July 4th.

Replies

• Living4Me
    Living4Me Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm new to this community. And I'm glad to see that there are so many beginning runners. I just took it up. And I honestly, at this point in time, hate it but I do intend to stick with it.

I signed up for a 5K and will run in it if it kills me. And it just might. LOL

I am using the Couch to 5K in 9 Weeks but I know it will be more like 12 weeks. That's fine. The 5K isn't until July 4th.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I have heard it is a good program. I know it is really hard starting out, but stick with it.
  • lacieinthesky
    lacieinthesky Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also hate running and have been doing the couch to 5k for about three weeks now. I think I'm going to do Breast Cancer 5k in May. I actually have to say I don't hate it as much, and now that I have a heart rate monitor, it's good to know I'm staying within my target heart rate and burning lots of calories! Good luck to ya!
  • crimefighter2
    crimefighter2 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love couch to 5K - great program. Repeat weeks if you have to - go back and start all over after you complete it to knock down your time. Log your times/splits for more motivation.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've been using this program with my son and think it is a pretty good one for a beginner runner. Our race is the first of June and we are on week 3 now. My son would like to run the 5K in 30 min or less so eventually we're going to have to look at pacing but for now it is nice just to be getting the workouts done.
  • Living4Me
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips and encouragement.

Right now I'm repeating Week 1. I'm not really interested in "time" but just being able to run 5K without feeling totally toasted in the end. I don't think that's much to ask.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Could the same theory be applied to a 10 km? Would you run the 10km every time when traingin? I've signed up to do one, and am not sure how to train for this more effectively.
    :smile:
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you have an MP3 player, use it when you run. I give my iPod a lot of credit for keeping me motivated. I just started running at the end of January and now I actually feel a little run down if I don't work it into my day. Few things beat the feeling of that runner's high!:happy:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Annjkh recommended the Hal Higdon trainer for a 10KM race, and it looks GREAT! Just wanted to share!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Living4Me
    Options
    I do use the iPod.

I found these great links

djsteveboy.com (he has intervals for 5k, 8k and 10k
    ullreys.com (I liked this one a lot better because it wasn't techno music.)

I found them both through iTunes Store. And they were both free.

I am so glad today is a day off.
  • Living4Me
    Options
    I have a question for the runners and fitness folks.

On my days off of this plan, can I do another exercise? Like the 30 day shred or billy blanks bootcamp?

I want to do more exercise but I don't want to cause injury either.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    You can definitely cross train on days off the program. If you are concerned about injury, focus on nonimpact exercise. Strength training is a good option. I always make sure to walk on nonrun days but some people swim, use elliptical or other nonimpact options.