Elliptical Reccomendations??

Options
I am looking to replace my treadmill with an elliptical. Anyone have one that they love? I'd like it to be smooth, durable, and not huge. I love the "Arc trainer" that is at my gym, but it is HUGE!!!

I would definitely buy a "professional" level one if that is what I need to do to be happy with it. I want to be able to burn those calories at home during snowstorms without having to drive to the gym.

I am in Massachusetts, so if you are local and know where I could go to try them out/shop for it that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

PS: Anybody want to buy a treadmill??

Replies

• homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Bought a Life Fitness a few years back and it is great. Drivetrain on it is gaurenteed for 20 years. You can spend $4000 - $5000 if you want a lot of bells and whistles, but the basic system is the same. We got the base model and with some discounts it was around $1800. Spend the money, they are worth it.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I have a Nordictrack one and LOVE it
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I like this question. I have tried some at stores and found the stride is to short for me. Does anyone have ideas on that as well?
  • robinellis
    Options
    i have a nordic track as well and i LOVE it. it is also a space saver so i can kinda fold it up and it takes up only like 3 feet. i can also buy an IFIT module that will allow me to hook wirelessly to the computer and do Jillian michaels workouts and such. i haven't done that yet as i am still getting an excellent workout just with the machine itself. and i am in canada so the prices will differ but we got mine on sale for about $1000.
  • robinellis
    Options
    I like this question. I have tried some at stores and found the stride is to short for me. Does anyone have ideas on that as well?

i am 6' tall so i have a long stride and have no issues with my nordic track.
  • merryfaith
    merryfaith Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    this one is mine:
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=schwinn+430+elliptical&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9769365280378243547&sa=X&ei=n1GsTsDUBsmGsALi8aXqDg&ved=0CJsBEPMCMAI

(or: http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-430-Elliptical-Trainer-Discontinued/dp/B000JF20LI)

I've had it for four years. I LOVE IT. only gripes are 1) while there's an HRM (the handles will measure it while you hold them--and it's matched my new balance n4 HRM with a chest strap or only been a couple BPM off when I've compared the readings on the two), and it gets your weight, it overestimates calorie burn by about 50 calories. 2) the newer schwinn models have spots to hold your ipod/phone, but this baby doesn't. not a big deal, armbands work too!

but it is wonderful and I highly recommend it! or one of the newer models even, because they look to be cheaper than this guy on amazon?
  • BeyondApril
    BeyondApril Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    LOL re: the stride is too short - I am 5'2", sometimes the arc trainer I use at the gym bumps me up so high I can't keep my balance!!! I definitely need to try before I buy!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    The one i use at work is a LifeFitness, but it's a professional/commercial model that they put in all of our hotels. It is quite nice, comes w/ a TV in the touchscreen, multiple workout options, etc.
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • orchid568
    orchid568 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Gold's Gym. The one I purchased for my daughter started falling apart in less then 2 months.
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a Sole E35.. Looked at numerous models and it's the one I went with.. It'll be here Tuesday..and from what I've read, I'll be quite pleased.. whisper quiet, durable, adjustable foot pedals to minimize tingly toes, 2 heart rate monitors (chest strap and handles) and a really good warranty.. check it out on amazon if you haven't gone w/another model yet..
  • merryfaith
    merryfaith Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    LOL re: the stride is too short - I am 5'2", sometimes the arc trainer I use at the gym bumps me up so high I can't keep my balance!!! I definitely need to try before I buy!
    I'm 5' 2" as well and I can say my schwinn is perfectly fine, if its any consolation! I didn't get to try before I bought, it was actually a christmas gift from my parents.
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    I love the Precor they have at my gym. It has a lot of bells and whistles, like a TV and mp3 plug-in, but I usually just read a good book on my Kindle while doing the elliptical.
  • BeyondApril
    BeyondApril Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions! I like the Nordictrak one that folds; I have to find somewhere that sells it and has one set up because I really want to try before I buy. Especially if I have to assemble it myself!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Well I got the ARC at home and I love it! We got a fabulous deal on it! It fits nicely in the corner in our living room - and I watch TV while working out! :heart:
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I use a Spirit e-glide at the gym. First one i've found that doesn't hurt my knees. I'm going to buy one for home use after the first of the year.
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The Precor ones are amazing! But they are really expensive because they are built for commercial use. I have a Nordic Trac one that I bought for around $800 on sale at home and me and my wife use it 3-4 days a week each so we beat the heck out of it! After a year of use like that I've already fixed it twice and we are ready for a new one. So my suggestion is if you plan on using it buy a nicer one, but if you are just going to casually use it Nordic Tracs are amazing.