should I take a break the next two days?

Options
I'm not sure if you can see my diary but I've been exercising 20 days straight and I think I'm getting tired. I'm not sure thought, I do get shin splints if I run. I was doing basketball and c25k for 2 weeks and now if I do more then walk my dog I get severe shin splints.

My muscles like upper body isn't tired at all from lifting weights.
But I'm not sure if I'm just making excuses for myself but do you think having 2 days of rest today and Sunday would be a good idea?

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Obviously!
  • digitaldigital
    digitaldigital Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Obviously!

To me at this point nothing is obvious :3
  • borys12
    borys12 Posts: 98
    Options
    You should take a break. I took a week off from weights a few times so far, and after that, my workouts were much better.
    Give your body recovery time.
  • digitaldigital
    digitaldigital Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    To be honest for some reason I have a fear of taking a break I guess maybe I'll workout on sunday.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You're addicted like me... I posted something similar about running and everyone said to rest after 3 days of running. Looking back it makes sense - all my previous attempts to start running failed because I got sick in less than a month after pushing myself too hard.
    Obviously!

To me at this point nothing is obvious :3
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Your body needs rest to repair itself. Just like a motor cannot run at redline full time without some form of maintenance, so does your body.
    When you don't get enough rest, your body becomes taxed... your immune system becomes taxed, and you become susceptible to injury and sickness. So you can decide if you wish to take a day or two off as a proactive step, or a week or two off as a reactive step when you get sick or injured.

Also, coming back after rest days will normally show an 'increase' in fitness. But you don't have to take it from us. :happy:
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i lose weight consistently working out for 30 min 3 times a week and watching calories.
    I dont see the obsession with working out all the time.
    I still lose weight without the exercise as well, i just eat a bit less. Thats the beauty of this site.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yes! Take a break. It will do your body good. If you just can't stand the thought of doing nothing, then just do some hatha (healing) yoga or stretches. It will get the blood circulating, can be very relaxing, but won't put any stress on your body. I have never seen a reputable workout plan that did not include at least one, if not two, days of rest a week. Many of the tougher workout plans that I've seen over the years include a recovery week usually every 5th week. It's not that you don't exercise, but the intensity is taken down to allow your body time to recover and actually BUILD.

Good luck! Right about now I could use some of your gusto. :smile:
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yep, I think you need a day or two of rest for your body to recouperate. Just make sure you're continuing to eat healthfully. If you don't want to take a break completely, you could always go for a walk or something that isn't terribly strenuous. Hope it works out for you.