eating after workout?

Options
so i know it's good to eat some protein after a workout to help repair and refuel your muscles.
does the same apply even if you just do cardio and no strength training?

Replies

• abbylove08
    abbylove08 Posts: 215
    Options
    so i know it's good to eat some protein after a workout to help repair and refuel your muscles.
    does the same apply even if you just do cardio and no strength training?
  • machonregier
    Options
    I've heard it's important to eat carbs after a long run. So i usually try to eat a grapefruit within an hour after.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Yes it helps for the same reason ... unless you're doing a type of cardio that doesn't use muscles, hehe.
  • abbylove08
    Options
    i guess it DOES make sense to refuel your muscles after cardio, too.
    i made a yummy pb&j english muffin to get some protein.

i thought carbs were good before a workout, to give you energy, and then protein after to refuel?
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I was told that you should have part carb and part protein. They say the best thing for after a long run is chocolate milk!

~Leash
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The standard recommendation I've seen is to eat protein before and a protein and carb combo after. Milk is supposed to have the perfect protein to carb ratio for after a workout.

Too bad I don't like milk. :laugh:
  • VballLeash
    Options
    The standard recommendation I've seen is to eat protein before and a protein and carb combo after. Milk is supposed to have the perfect protein to carb ratio for after a workout.

I only like soy milk! That doesn't have the same benefit unfortunately

~Leash
  • hiddensecant
    Options

I only like soy milk! That doesn't have the same benefit unfortunately

~Leash

Soy protein is awesome after cardio ... it's said that it can help keep the body burning up to 26% more fat when taken after a workout. I don't quite remember how much protein was used in the study, but soy milk has about 7g.
  • abbylove08
    Options
    when you say soy protein - do you just mean the protein in soy milk? or would you get it from somewhere else?

i LOVE chocolate soy milk. havent had it in forever, but this could be a good reason to start drinking it again!
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    when you say soy protein - do you just mean the protein in soy milk? or would you get it from somewhere else?

i LOVE chocolate soy milk. havent had it in forever, but this could be a good reason to start drinking it again!

Soy milk is great post workout, has carbs and protein you need. I like the chocolate as well but I have found So Nice Chai Soy Milk. I don't even know how to describe it, it is a little spicy kinda like a chai tea but I can't describe what kind of spicy. Kinda cinnamon and other stuff I guess.
  • Starchaser
    Options
    All the literature I've read recommends carbohyrdate to protein in a 3:1 ratio within 20 minutes of a workout. Try a large ripe banana, or some cottage cheese on ryvita, or a sports bar.
  • hiddensecant
    Options

Soy protein is soy protein whether you're getting it from soy milk or soy powder. So I say go for it as long as it doesn't have too much sugar :tongue: .
  • VballLeash
    Options
    What great news! Now I can have soy milk, THANKS! :happy: