Too Much Protein?

Options
Tracking my nutrition for a couple weeks now I noticed that I usually go over the recommended protein number by quite a bit. I do eat a lot of lean protein and I work out regularly with weights and cardio. So, is it bad to be 20 points or more over the targeted number? What does it mean to my weight loss plans?

Replies

• mhig011975
    Options
    protein is good for you
  • healthy4self
    Options
    I believe the more protein the better! I weight 122, and I aim for 120-150 g per day.
  • Monij1982
    Monij1982 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? I struggle in the protein section and I NEVER hit my goal :( Just don't have a clue what to eat!!!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    How Much Protein Do I Need?

The amount of protein you require depends on your weight and your daily caloric intake. Most Americans consume more than enough protein in their daily diets. A few specific groups of people are at risk for being protein-deficient, including elderly women and people with illnesses or eating disorders. A protein deficiency is defined as eating 50% to 75% of the recommended amount of daily protein, Butterfield explains.

Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

Protein should also make up approximately 15% of your total daily caloric intake, also according to the RDA. In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein.

Source: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
  • HazelElfwand
    Options
    Im constantly over my protein too...but Im still losing weight. I just make sure its lean protein and I think its ok...
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    Going a bit over protein isn't a bad thing. I try my hardest to take in more than 20 g of protein a day because I workout everyday and because I'm anemic. Don't worry too much about going over. I would worry more about carbs,sugar and sodium.
  • bnazarian
    Options
    The way the myfitnesspal tallies up stuff on your Food page makes it seem like it might be a bad thing. They give you a number to shoot for and put a "-" in front the number you went over. Just like calories or carbs which could affect your success in weight loss. Since I still am learning about proper nutrition I just had to ask.

@Monij1982, I think I eat pretty healthy but I never analyzed by diet much. I eat black beans, lentils and other kinds of beans (love Mexican food!), a little cheese, yogurt, nut butters in small quantities, beef, chicken and other meats prepared different ways and in small portions. I think it might be that I add different kinds of milk to my cereal and coffee too: almond milk, flax milk, coconut milk, regular milk, soy milk too. I can't decide which one I like best but they have protein in them and are good in different things.