Hi,newbie here too, need to lose 75lbs

Options
I am excited to start this program!
I'm diabetic, Hypertensive,with Degenerative Disc Disease,Rheumatoid Arthritic,and COPD-- looking for excersises I would be able to do without doing more damage.
Also, on my first day, my results told me I wasnt taking in enough calories, which is true, I don't eat much at all, afraid of the sodium and sugars. My friend told me about how the body can go into 'starvation mode' I am thankful to her, for turning me on to this program. Cant wait to see my A1C go down, and all other tests closer to normal..as well as being thinner!
Any helpful advise would be greatly appreciated! Thank you !!

Replies

• wannababyH
    Options
    My husband has RA as well. He found that swimming was one of the few activities he would do without feeling horrible for days afterward.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal. I just try to watch my calories, and sodium. I only walk a few times a week for about 20-25 minutes. Just make a lot of friends on this site. It will help to motivate you. Also log in everything, every day.
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Pilates are great too! Non impact and nice streching. You can also try an excercise ball, most come with a excercise chart and these are also non impact but you can get good cardio from the ball.
  • jacsen12158
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis as well, I walk when I can and I use the Tony Little Gazelle, surprisingly it does not jar my knees and I can usually go about 30 minutes, ( I had to work up to 30 minutes) I have a lot of trouble with the fatigue that comes with RA. But I am finding that exercise actually helps with it. I am going start swimming and doing water exercise, it is supposed to be the best and safest form of exercise for RA. Add me as a friend if you like. I have only been on here for almost two weeks and I love the site!
  • curvy_ca_mama
    curvy_ca_mama Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • manicmedic
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm not diabetic, but was on the track for it. My fasting sugar was 116 and A1C was 0.1 high, and that was my motivational moment. I weighed #185...that was in March. I tossed all the sugar and flour, cut down the portions of meat. I've lost #68 since then, something I never thought I could do. My A1C is fine, and my BS runs in the low 90's after eating. I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit, beans, oatmeal, nuts, I pay attention to labels (who knew they added sugar to corn or kidney beans!). I indulge in a Pillsbury Sweet Moments brownie bite for dessert -- better than the half carton of ice cream I used to have, and even eat out now and then, but I'm more conscious of portions. I don't feel deprived or hungry and having your clothes go all baggy is a great incentive!

I just joined here, and it's keeping me ever better, when I look at all I eat sometimes. Keeps me honest! Determination and motive are a great help. Good luck to you. I'm 54, past menopause, when women aren't supposed to be able to lose weight. It can be done!

M
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    Hi,
    First step is realizing you need to make a life change; I have a spinal fusion and arthritis in my lower spine. I started out walking on the treadmill and worked myself to cardio and strength training with weights. Just have to start small - baby steps so you don't make things worse. If you don't have access to a treadmill walk outside, make sure you log all of your food and exercise and you will start to make changes - just don't expect changes right away . . . feel free to add me :flowerforyou:
  • wanda007
    Options
    Hi,
    I am diabetic also. I recently went to doctor and she sugested to me to have 3 meals and 3 snacks. And have 3 servings of carbs at breakfast plus proteins and 4 servings each at lunch and dinner plus proteins. A serving of carb is 15 grams. and have a serving of carbs at each of 3 snacks. She said that this helps keep blood sugar stable and really helps not to feel hungry. Ofcourse you want to eat healthy carbs. I hope this helps. If you like add me as a friend and we can encourage each other. Best of luck:flowerforyou:
  • Beberni
    Beberni Posts: 25
    Options
    Welcome! You'll love MFP. I've been here a week and am really enjoying it. Feel free to add me.
  • queenritz
    Options
    really glad u joined Sandy :) and yes we can definately be here for eachother , count on me :)