Halloween candy

Options
nomorewishing
nomorewishing Posts: 250 Member
This is probably a really dumb question. For those of you that pass out candy on Halloween, how many bags do you usually need to buy? This is the first year since I was two years old that I will be spending Halloween at home and I haven't the slightest idea how much candy to buy. I just don't want to get too much and then end up with a bunch left over...

Replies

• Littlered9
    Options
    You might consider buying just a couple of bags and when they are gone...just turns out your lights. I know many who do that.
  • juliemav
    Options
    I would recommend asking a neighbor - it really depends on the neighborhood as there are so many places that get very few any more. Lots of kids go to malls and businesses now or they only go to certain neighborhoods. The other thing you can do is just buy smaller bags and open them as you go and then return those you don't use. Just my two cents. :)
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I agree - decide on your budget, and then turn off the lights just before it's gone - you don't want to run out in the middle of a group, but you don't want leftovers, either!
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    LOL I had that same problem last year! This year I bought 2 bags of my least fave candy so if I have any left over I can easily get rid of it without the temptation of eating all of it!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    We got individual snack sized boxes of raisins for the little monsters....

I won't give out "candy"... I've also seen great suggestions of stickers, pens/pencils, etc.
  • nomorewishing
    Options
    Thank y'all! Lol, maybe I should just buy a bunch of tootsie rolls, I hate those things! :tongue:
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    First, check with your neighbors how busy your area is because you don't want the candy tempting you after Halloween, right?
    My guess would be about 2 big bags of the assorted candies & start out with 1-2 pieces to each TOT'er that comes to your door. As the night progresses & if it gets slower, you can give out more to each TOT'er - but I do strongly suggest talking to your neighbors first.
    We are known as the BEST house for candy on Halloween because we get the GOOD stuff & not the bite size candies. We will even get some repeat customers who will just alter their costumes throughout the night. LOL
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    we bought 9 or 10 bags of different fun size bars.. nothing with artificial colors. neighbors have told us theres lots of kids around that ToT...but even if we have extra, i wont mind eating the leftovers here and there and just working them into my calories :)
  • Helga4fun
    Options
    As a parent with kids and a chocohalic I have to say that I love love love all the candy we get, but when they kids get the stickers, tattoos, mini pads, pencils and erasers we all appreciate it more. It's something that lasts. Once you eat the candy it's gone, but when you get the little gifts they keep on giving! My kids love the candy to, but they have more fun with the little gifts! The raisins unless they are wrapped in plastic from the store we would throw away as they can be tampered with easliy. The little pretzels or chips are good too!

As for the leftovers we always keep them in a tupperware box in cabinet we don't often go to that way we aren't tempted to eat it all the time!

I agree with above though, if you buy candy ask your neighbors as they know how many kids they usually get!

Good luck and Happy Halloween!
  • nomorewishing
    Options
    First, check with your neighbors how busy your area is because you don't want the candy tempting you after Halloween, right?
    My guess would be about 2 big bags of the assorted candies & start out with 1-2 pieces to each TOT'er that comes to your door. As the night progresses & if it gets slower, you can give out more to each TOT'er - but I do strongly suggest talking to your neighbors first.
    We are known as the BEST house for candy on Halloween because we get the GOOD stuff & not the bite size candies. We will even get some repeat customers who will just alter their costumes throughout the night. LOL
    Thanks for including how many pieces you give out cause I really had no idea about that either! Lol I just didn't want to look like a complete idiot that knows nothing about Halloween :laugh:
    we bought 9 or 10 bags of different fun size bars.. nothing with artificial colors. neighbors have told us theres lots of kids around that ToT...but even if we have extra, i wont mind eating the leftovers here and there and just working them into my calories :)
    LOL, the only problem is with me, it won't be a few here or there, it'll be all of them now! I'm still working on the whole willpower thing :tongue:
  • nomorewishing
    Options
    As a parent with kids and a chocohalic I have to say that I love love love all the candy we get, but when they kids get the stickers, tattoos, mini pads, pencils and erasers we all appreciate it more. It's something that lasts. Once you eat the candy it's gone, but when you get the little gifts they keep on giving! My kids love the candy to, but they have more fun with the little gifts! The raisins unless they are wrapped in plastic from the store we would throw away as they can be tampered with easliy. The little pretzels or chips are good too!

As for the leftovers we always keep them in a tupperware box in cabinet we don't often go to that way we aren't tempted to eat it all the time!

I agree with above though, if you buy candy ask your neighbors as they know how many kids they usually get!

Good luck and Happy Halloween!
    Thank you! My mom used to take our candy and put it in a glass jar in the tallest cabinet and only let us have a piece every now and then. Funny how all the chocolate would have disappeared by the time we were allowed to get some candy :grumble: :happy:
  • verysherri2006
    verysherri2006 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Buy one bag...
    When it's gone, turn the light out, Lmao!!
    That is the way I do it so I will not be sitting up all night eating left over candy...
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    You will probably get a more accurate answer from someone who lives in your neighborhood. None of us know how many trick or treaters you will be having. Just don't buy candy corn, please.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    we only get a dozzen or so and we still buy 2 boxes of fun size chocolate bars