What to eat?

Options
Good morning! I have a quick question: What is the best thing to eat before a work out and afterwards? I only walk for about 35 min but I was wondering what would be better. Thanks!

Replies

• qualcosachenonce
    Options
    I think carbohydrates are good before a workout, like bananas, wholegrain pasta etc. For after a workout, I have heard that protein is good to eat as it helps repair muscles, so lean meats, eggs etc.

:)
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I think you could get by without eating anything prior to your workout. But if you're hungry, maybe a banana or half of a banana with some peanut butter. And a couple glasses of water.

After your workout, I'd just suggest your regular breakfast as long as it contains a protein. And drink a couple glasses of water.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    if you're only walking then i don't think protein does anything it is more geared for muscles
    carbs are good in this case but 35 mins also doesn't spend much energy
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    This is an informative read, although I normally eat something before I workout, because if I don't I run out of steam. I normally eat carbs with protein before; 1/2 bagel with PB or a whole wheat wrap with egg inside. That's just how I function best. My workouts are normally intense and over an hour long. See what works for you.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37492881/ns/health-fitness/t/get-rid-fat-dont-eat-workout/#.Tq1Hs3Kz6uI
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    Under those conditions just go for a walk between meals, nothing special needs to be done.....keep it simple.
  • jessicaxochitl
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • jessicaxochitl
    Options
    This is an informative read, although I normally eat something before I workout, because if I don't I run out of steam. I normally eat carbs with protein before; 1/2 bagel with PB or a whole wheat wrap with egg inside. That's just how I function best. My workouts are normally intense and over an hour long. See what works for you.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37492881/ns/health-fitness/t/get-rid-fat-dont-eat-workout/#.Tq1Hs3Kz6uI
    Very interesting. I've been working out the last week without eating before but I noticed that it made me feel sick. Today I had a light snack and that seemed to help.