Workouts for Abs standing up?

Options
I was wondering are there any "at home" workouts for abs that you can do standing up instead of on the floor? I have been doing the crunches...and some other workouts for your abs but they are all on the floor and sometimes this makes my back on neck hurt after doing it continuously. Any suggestions?

Replies

• beverlyl64
    Options
    Hip Hop Abs with Shawn T is an awesome ab workout
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I just found this a few days ago (focuses mainly on obliques) most of the positions are standing.

http://weightingaway.tumblr.com/post/11989020434/love-handle-workout
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I don't know about an entire workout, but specifically the exercise move "Steam Engine" will work your upper abs, lower abs, and obliques.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    the Zumba set has an all standing Ab disc....I think it is very effective!:)
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    If your back and neck hurt, you're not doing the exercise properly. Don't grab your hands behind your neck, and keep an anterior pelvic tilt to keep your lower back flat against the floor. You can do abdominal vacuums standing up to exercise your TVA (transverse abdominus).
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    p90x has a great exercise called 'wacky jacks' that exercises your obliques like crazy
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Hold a small kettlebell on the sides of the horns with the weight up. Feet should be shoulder width apart. keeping your elbows bent about 90 degrees, move weight in a circle around your head. Your entire core is engaged to stabilize your body. Repeat for 15-30 seconds, then do the other direction.
  • iamladibeast
    iamladibeast Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • mampm1
    mampm1 Posts: 88
    Options
    There is an app called Body Fitness that has a wide variety of exercises that I have added to my workouts. Did wood chops yesterday. If you have resistance bands you can do these at home. If not, I suggest you get some. They come in handy.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    There's one I do on exercise tv that's On Demand . I forget what's it's called but I think they also have them on facebook and youtube. it's simply called Standing Abs
  • l_oudman
    l_oudman Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Stormy65
    Stormy65 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melmarler
    Options
    Jackie Warner has a great DVD for abs. The DVD has one workout for standing up and one for floor work. I do the standing up one and it is great. You don't feel like it is too hard while you are doing it but a day or two later. WOW! You KNOW you worked your abs.
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    GREAT question. I have neck problems (degenerative disc) and can't do ab work on the floor (doesn't matter what part of my head/neck I hold).
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I found an ab workout in Women's Health mag this spring that's all standing and you use handweights. I'm up to using 8-15 pound weights depending on the exercise. You might be able to google it, I don't know if I could write it all out here and the mag cutout is at the gym right now.

But yes, it can be done. Keep in mind it takes lots of cardio on top of the core exercises to really firm up the abs. They won't appear until the fat is gone! Just keep working on it!!!!!
  • JennBunny73
    JennBunny73 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam. Ab Jam has about 10 minutes of standing abs on it
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    p90x has a great exercise called 'wacky jacks' that exercises your obliques like crazy

Ah, yes.. Those too. :)
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    There are a few you can do but they're hard to explain. I'll give it a try:

1. Side bends. With your hand to the side of your head, bend your upper body sideways and at the same time bring up your knee to connect with your elbow. This will work your obliques.

2. Standing straight up being an object that's about 2 feet high and swing/kick your leg over it (swing your right leg from left to right over the item and then with the left swing it from right to left)). Some use a chair and swing their leg over that but you might want to start smaller.

3. Standing straight up with your arms extending straight over your head, lift your leg straight up until about your waste and at the same time bend your upper body so that your arms come down and your hands meet with your toes. Alternate leg.

4. Squat down almost like you're in a sitting position and extend one leg straight behind you (foot on the floor). Keep your arms straight ahead in front of you. As your arms come down to your waste, as if youre pulling something towards you, bring your knee of the extended leg up to your chest. Alternate leg.

Sorry if these are not too clear. Some of these moves are from Billy Blanks Tae Bo and others are from Jillian Michaels exercise tips (she has a free app called Slim down). You can check out their sites.

Enjoy!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Jackie Warner has a great DVD for abs. The DVD has one workout for standing up and one for floor work. I do the standing up one and it is great. You don't feel like it is too hard while you are doing it but a day or two later. WOW! You KNOW you worked your abs.

I was actually going to suggest this one, it's great. I love all Jackie workouts, though