fish

Options
Does anyone have a good recipe for fish? I have some fresh tile fish (it's a white fish) and would love a healthy way to cook it.

Replies

• christibrubaker
    Options
    Does anyone have a good recipe for fish? I have some fresh tile fish (it's a white fish) and would love a healthy way to cook it.

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

the most universal advice for fish-

cook it outside

I love grilled fish
    I am sure this helps you tremendously
    have a great day:smile:
  • marathongirly
    marathongirly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love fish!! I keep it really simple..put some Pam spray on the stove top and sprinkle with some season (there is all kinds of season you can get just for fish..McCormicks grill mate are good or at Costco I got Organic Great Kimg Salmon Seasoning & Rub and it great!
    Check out the recipe area on this site...some great ones here!!

Good luck and enjoy!
  • Maribela86
    Maribela86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I bake it, just season and drizzle with olive oil and rock salt, with some little potatoes carrtos, fennel... and bake. I also make a little brown rice
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I bake it, just season and drizzle with olive oil and rock salt, with some little potatoes carrtos, fennel... and bake. I also make a little brown rice

I love to bake fish with lemon , garlic, onions, carrots, and celery.. i layer a dish with foil and put everything in there and then make a pocket with the foil so it's covers everything so when it's steams it makes it flavor the food.. also i either spray with pam or put a little olive oil so the fish doesn't stick...
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I just made some rockfish that came out really good. I often just do a simple pan-fry where I season the fish, coat it with flour, dip in beaten egg, then dredge in panko and pan fry. Sometimes I make a quick pan sauce at the end with capers and sometimes sherry.

This was different.

I have become tomato rich the last few weeks as the plants in my garden are doing great. They are delicious. I wanted to incorporate some into a fish dish. It's also finally cool enough to run the oven so...
    • I put on some sprouted brown rice so it would be ready when the fish was.
    • I preheated the oven to 375F while preparing the ingredients.
    • I chopped an onion finely.
    • I chopped a whole bunch of garlic coarsely.
    • I sliced three delicious vine-ripe garden tomatoes
    • I cut a couple handfuls of vine-ripe cherry tomatoes in half (Sungold)
    • I mixed up some spices to include Hatch Green Chile powder, Ancho Chile powder, dried basil, and maybe a couple other things.
    • I cut a few large rockfish fillets into smaller pieces and seasoned them with lemon-pepper seasoning.
    • As I finished prepping the last ingredients, I started heating a heavy Dutch oven on the stove.
    • When the D.O. was hot, I started cooking the onions in some butter. When they got soft and were just starting to brown, I added the garlic, tomatoes, and spices and cooked another minute.
    • I pushed the fillet pieces into the D.O., put the lid on, and put it in the oven for 15 minutes.

It was REALLY good. The only thing I might do different next time is cut up a rib or two of celery and cook that with the onion, but it really wasn't necessary. I will make this dish again.

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,675 Member
    Options
    My mom's recipe for Chinese contact fried fish.

Finely dice a large handful of spring onions diagonally into thin rings, what the Chinese call "horse ears". Finely julienne a thumb sized piece of fresh ginger. You can do this step a few hours in advance, but then put the ginger under the spring onion in a deep bowl to prevent the ginger from discoloring due to oxidation.

When you want to eat cook the white fish in the microwave or by poaching until barely done. Put it in a serving dish with a lip. Pile the ginger and spring onion on top, then douse with several good glugs of soy sauce, some lemon juice or vinegar, a pinch of sugar, and a glug of sake, Chinese rice wine, or dry sherry or vermouth. Bring the fish to the table. Heat two or three tablespoons of neutral vegetable oil in a small sauce pan very hot (you can see the air shimmering over the pan and can smell the oil reaching smoking point). Carefully pour the hot oil over the herbs and fish to contact fry and blend the flavours. There will be a lot of dramatic sizzling sounds. Serve with white rice and an easy veggie side such as cucumber salad.

This is impressive enough to do for a dinner part but is very easy. Also the herbs will hide any accidental breakage of fish fillets. My would do this whole carp, but I do this with any fish that is not too fatty, from whole salmon trouts to tilapia fillets.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I like garlic, lemon, parsley, salt, pepper, maybe a chopped roma tomato and toss it in the air fryer - comes out delicious (caution, might make house a bit smelly though LOL).
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I bought a piece of Lingcod yesterday. I am still thinking about the old standard of seasoning then flour, egg, and panko and pan fry, but I also have a whole lot of fresh, ripe garden tomatoes. So I think actually I will make something up to use them. Probably I will saute some onion, then when it's about done, add the fish and a splash of sherry and then cover with thin tomato slices and put the lid on the pan for just a few minutes until it's poached. Ginger might be a good addition, but I don't want to overpower the very mild and delicious flavor of the Lingcod!
  • jstowle
    jstowle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whatever you use for seasoning, I usually spray the baking dish with Pam and put a layer of lemon slices down and put the fish on top of that.