should i b cutting back??

Brandita21
Brandita21 Posts: 6 Member
edited October 4 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I am new.....i was given a 1200 calorie goal. Of course when I exercise I am given more calories for the day. I am wondering if I should just stick to the 1200 in an effort to loose. Are you being successful at loosing when consuming the additional calories after exercising? I would appreciate any feedback

Replies

• hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    You should eat more when you exercise. It will actually help you more than hurt you in the weight lose game!
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    good rule of thumb... if hungry --- EAT... don't starve yourself. keep to a 1200 calorie NET, meaning after exercise. so if you "earn" 500 calories with exercise and are hungry, eat. If not hungry, that is okay, but be sure to keep your NET no lower than 1000, otherwise you will go into starvation mode and start gaining...
  • I tend to work to the 1200 goal. i haven't found it necessary to eat back my exercise calories and I have been losing weight. Sometimes I eat a few of them back, but I have never eaten them all. Other people swear that you have to eat back the extra calories. I exercise six days a week which includes 2 weight sessions, one session with a personal trainer and three cardio sessions.
  • Eating back your earned calories is OK, but word of warning... The "calories burned" in the exercise database seem very generous. I wouldn't eat them all back. Try half?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Eating back your earned calories is OK, but word of warning... The "calories burned" in the exercise database seem very generous. I wouldn't eat them all back. Try half?

Not to mention keep in mind what your body would have burned in that time had you not excersized.
    Say you would have burned 80 calories in that hour sitting watching tv, but instead you burned 500. I would eat back what I burned or maybe a little less.

:)
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Eating back your earned calories is OK, but word of warning... The "calories burned" in the exercise database seem very generous. I wouldn't eat them all back. Try half?

I second this.

I was logging my running the other day (rule of thumb is 100 calories per mile) and what MFP gave me was almost twice as much as it should have been.
This discussion has been closed.