Disney and Planes...D:

Hello there MFP community!

I'm heading over there the end of February and really fretting about stuff. Considering I am between 290 - 320lbs, I'm worried on how I will manage over there. (Yes, I am 19 and in college. D: Which makes it bad to lose sometimes!)

The last time I went was 6 years ago, but I traveled with a car to get there. Even then, I was overweight for a teenager. But I know how much I weighed then, so I know what weight I can still fit in most of the rides at (which I will be trying to hit in the next couple months.)

Even though I am still worried about getting there for just the ride aspect, I also have to worry about the plane. I've seen things that say that I might have to buy an extra ticket and all. And as a college student, I really won't have enough money to buy another $125-$250 for going there and coming back. D: I know I can ask for an extension for the seat belt (which I really don't care about)...but ugh! It's just really frustrating.

Out of my huge babble of text, is there anything that would help me with the plane traveling?

I think that's the only thing I am really worried about right now. :(

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    I would recommend contacting the airline to find out the size of the seats. I'm sure you'll be fine, but that would put your mind at ease.
  • skinnywellfed
    skinnywellfed Posts: 6 Member
    At your weight, depending on your height, you will likely need a seatbelt extender but may not depending on how you carry your weight. Once you board, try the seatbelt. If it's too short, press your call button and request an extender. The flight attendant will be discreet about bringing you one. The seat will be tight but not horrific. Are you flying with a friend? If so, you can lift the arm up in between the two of you and relieve any discomfort.

At your weight, the only airline that may force the second seat issue is Southwest. If you are flying any other airline, I'd not fret too much. If you are flying Southwest, you need to be prepared that they may make you prove you can sit with the arms down and not 'spill over' to the other seat under or over the arm rest. If you have any spill over (which you likely will), they will make you buy a 2nd seat. If the flight is already full, they will bump you to the next available on which you can get two seats. If you have no choice but to fly Southwest, I highly suggest you buy two seats up front. If the flight is no oversold, you will get a refund of the second seat after traveling (Southwest is the only airline that refunds a second seat, fwiw). I have never not gotten the refund.

Some planes are smaller than others as well. If you're not flying a major airline on one of their larger planes, you may want to check out seatguru.com for measurements. Those smaller commuter planes definitely have smaller spaces and can be more uncomfortable.

Sorry, I can't help you with the ride info as I've never been. However, I know I've seen info online so I'm sure you could find ride info with a google search.

Most importantly, enjoy your vacation! We can't let our weight stop us from living life!
  • Contratian - Thanks for the little tid bit. :] I might do that if need be.

Ah, thank you for your input skinnywellfed! :D That's just the kind of information I needed for that and a nice amount of it too.

But yes, I would be flying with a friend and her mom. So, that wouldn't be too bad of a problem, but it is Southwest (from the times they told me, but I am looking into some other airlines that leave around the same time.) :/

But thank you about the seat belt extender though, that makes me really happy. I'm 5'7", but my weight, I'd say I carry more on the bottom, but I carry a bit on top too. :P But that's for another time.

And don't worry about not knowing about the rides. That's a-okay! And thank you for the support!
  • skinnywellfed
    skinnywellfed Posts: 6 Member
    Honestly, it's up to the people that check you in whether they make an issue of it or not. Since SW doesn't have assigned seating, they won't let you by with saying "but I'll be sitting next to my friend". For years I wasn't stopped by them, then suddenly it seemed they started enforcing it and I was stopped (at about 340lbs) even though I had just flown them a week prior too. Since I was an A boarding group and flying with a friend, they didn't make me buy the 2nd seat. I have just gone ahead and bought it each time since then if I fly them.

In general, I don't mind their policy since I've always gotten the money back and the extra room is actually nice. However, the initial layout to buy tickets can sure put a dent in a budget. If you call them, they may have a special and just charge you the childs fare for the second seat, making the tickets not too much extra, especially since you have to pay to check luggage on other airlines. If you're traveling with others and can swing it, I'd probably buy the two seats knowing with almost certainty that you'd get the money back, rather than trying to coordinate being on separate flights. Or, if your friends haven't bought yet, I'd tell them your dilemma and ask if you could fly another airline. Most people have been really supportive when I've shared the issue with them. I mean, they already know I'm fat after all.

Happy to help!
  • Mhm. I can see were you are coming from with that.

But with respect to the policy, I don't think I would mind it either. But as you said, it's the budget. I'm already paying $1200 to go down. Dx Maybe they might give a child's discount. Plus, my friend has already paid for her ticket, but her mother has not. I found a close one with United Airlines, even thought it leaves a half hour later (6:30 am not 6 am). Plus, that won't be a huge dent in what happens besides getting luggage.

Either way, I still have a few months until he vacation, so I'll worry about the hurdle when I talk to my parents this weekend. If anything, I'll just tell her I need to take another airline and I'll meet up with them. (I have an aunt down there anyway if any other problems arise.)