Toning upper inner thighs - female

Options
Hello

Just wondering what exercises I can do to tone the upper inner thigh? I am female, dunno if that makes a difference!!

I carry a bit of weight in this area and am looking for solutions to get rid of it!

All suggestions welcome.... Thanks!!

Kayla xx

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    A healthy diet and regular exercise.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I started doing a HIIT workout a few times a week -- speed walking combined with running stadium stairs. It is doing a great job on both my thighs and belly!
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    running, interval training, and pulling a sled at your gym are great for the legs. You cannot spot reduce, so it sounds like you want an overall reduction in body fat.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Cardio and general fat loss will definatly help.

I find weighted plie squats work that area really well. http://videos.bodybuilding.com/watch/47661/exercise-guides-plie-dumbbell-squat-femalelong-clip

Or you could go old school with a gold ol Suzanne Sommers thigh master ;)
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Lunges tend to tone the front thigh, which I think is what makes the shape you are looking for. I also saw a video that I am going to try called thigh dancing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExJcsRv7G78&feature=player_embedded

It looks kind of hilarious, but it's worth a try, right? :)
  • tiffanydawnn
    tiffanydawnn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yup! Training that particular area will strengthen the muscle but u won't see it until u shed fat. Diet, cardio, and weight training all go together.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Running will give your thighs a super nice cut, at least it did for mine.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Lunges tend to tone the front thigh, which I think is what makes the shape you are looking for. I also saw a video that I am going to try called thigh dancing:

That looks like it could also be a nice relationship enhancer ;)
  • kaaylaa101
    kaaylaa101 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i know i can't 'spot reduce' as its upto my body where it loses it, but this is a particular area i want to focus on.
  • kaaylaa101
    kaaylaa101 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

haha how funny is that!

more looking for the upper inner thigh, like the gap between. obv combining this with weight loss
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Aside from lowering bodyfat%, you should lift heavy with your legs. Squats/Lunges/Presses/Extensions/Curls for example. Doing this along with eating at a deficit with adequate macronutrients will likely yield the best results.

EDIT: Reading comprehension fail on my part. While the above will be a great overall plan, if you're specifically targetting the upper-inner thigh, then get on that machine that dudes never use, where you squeeze your legs together to lift the weight. Hip abductors or adductors, I forget which, but someone will correct me I'm sure.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Plie squats. Sumo squats. Curtsy lunges. All with heavy weight.

HIIT cardio. Hill sprints.

Clean eating. I swear that whenever I cheat too much it goes right to my inner thighs and belly button.
  • red_hatorade
    Options
    I have this same problem. Mine have gotten really bad as I ballooned up to 260lbs. I almost feel as if the flaps of fat will never go away. It is unnatural and I thought I was the only one with this issue.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah.... not much you can do. I'm down to being pretty lean but still have chubby thighs, especially inner thighs. It sucks but such is life. And yeah, I've done those stupid hip adductor, and abductor machines my whole lifting life and it doesn't help. Now I have crazy strong inner thighs (did 70lbs on that machine the other day when I actually did it due to knee pain keeping me from other things) but they are still fat. But mainly I focus on the big compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, lunges etc. For what they do, I don't think those hip machines are worth the time.

ETA: I meant besides working on overall body composition.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I started doing a HIIT workout a few times a week -- speed walking combined with running stadium stairs. It is doing a great job on both my thighs and belly!

same experience here. check out iPhone app "minutes"
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Sit on the floor, use a physio ball or a chair, put your feet on the outside of the legs with the chair, or on either side of the ball, legs straight and squeeze. Count to 100. At first your legs might shake, but that's just your body adjusting and making the inner thighs do the work. It will help firm that area.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Yoga helps to tone up your whole body. I do vinyassa yoga, and I can't believe the difference:-)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Aside from lowering bodyfat%, you should lift heavy with your legs. Squats/Lunges/Presses/Extensions/Curls for example. Doing this along with eating at a deficit with adequate macronutrients will likely yield the best results.

EDIT: Reading comprehension fail on my part. While the above will be a great overall plan, if you're specifically targetting the upper-inner thigh, then get on that machine that dudes never use, where you squeeze your legs together to lift the weight. Hip abductors or adductors, I forget which, but someone will correct me I'm sure.

Adductors. I like to think the guys never use it because they've read that it leads to knee imbalances and they realise squats are far superior.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Exercises like Plie squats and leg lifts will help tone that area.

For me I find it hard as hell to do anything with that area but I think for me it's partly just the way my legs are shaped because I know some super skinny people who still have issues with the thighs...

But I do remember jogging helped a little bit for me(I mean, I lost half an inch on each thigh after jogging for 45 minutes EVERY SINGLE night for MONTHS)
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I was a ballet dancer for 15 years, quit, and went back and always noticed that while dancing, my legs always have much better shape. Any ballet exercises, pilates, or yoga will strengthen and lengthen your legs- including the inner thigh. In college, I was a huge fan of the New York City Ballet workout video.
    http://www.amazon.com/New-York-City-Ballet-Workout/dp/B000056MMR/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1320009466&sr=1-2