Help! I am going on a cruise for five days and need advice

Options
I leave for my cruise on 11/7 for five days to the Bahamas. I have only been on my weight loss journey for five weeks and have lost 11 pounds. I don't want to go on the cruise and make poor choices and end up gaining weight back that I worked hard to lose. I am asking for advice on what food choices to make or what others have done while they have been cruising. It's going to be difficult to keep up with my food journal since I won't know the nutritional information on the foods they serve nor will I be able to log onto MFP while I'm gone.

Replies

• Davali
    Davali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi - we did a 7 night cruise at the end of the summer and I managed to come back without gaining, although I also didn't lose anything! I ate a usual breakfast, little or nothing for lunch and then ate normally at dinner time, but missed the desserts. I also exercised every day. I have another one in 4 weeks time and I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep it up again.

Will look forward to any tips you may bring back! :)
  • sns101098
    Options
    Take the stairs! Also, those fruity beverages are loaded with calories..so be careful. In the dining room, they are great about altering your food selection...sauces on the side, veggies instead of potaotes, etc. Have a great time!
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    I leave for my cruise on 11/7 for five days to the Bahamas. I have only been on my weight loss journey for five weeks and have lost 11 pounds. I don't want to go on the cruise and make poor choices and end up gaining weight back that I worked hard to lose. I am asking for advice on what food choices to make or what others have done while they have been cruising. It's going to be difficult to keep up with my food journal since I won't know the nutritional information on the foods they serve nor will I be able to log onto MFP while I'm gone.

well, you could send me in your place.
    :) j/k

Food is food, no matter how dressed up it is and most cruise lines do a great job of having a variety of choices available.
    However, they also offer it in great quantities.
    So, take this time to prepare.
    You haven't made your food journal public, so I don't know what kinds of things you are eating, so I'll generalize:
    If you normally have 6 egg whites and 1/2 cup oatmeal for breakfast.....do that on your cruise. Ask for plain oatmeal and if they give you more than about 2/3 cup cooked, eat only what you normally do.
    You can take powdered protein with you. Put single servings in ziploc bags, along with whatever supplements you are taking (if you do). One for each day. I use GNC AMP Wheybolic and mix it with 1 tablespoon Hershey's cocoa, 2 tablespoons of instant coffee and L-glutamine. You may have to pack a shaker, but you can get ice and water on board.
    Plain chicken breasts, steamed veggies, fresh fruit...its all there on board. Pay attention to what you are eating, thats the key. Oh and stay away from the bar, or drink carbonated water if you have to have a drink. Take your daily menu with you if you have to. It's very doable.
    Good luck and have a good time!
  • macylane4
    macylane4 Posts: 224
    Options
    I went on a cruise and lost 7 pounds, and went to Las Vegas and lost 7 pounds!! You can do it! Here is what I do...DON"T THINK ABOUT FOOD!!! Have breakfast in the dining room where you can choose healthy options, and have them modify your breakfast the way you like. For lunch if you can't get to the dining room, they have frest fruit, and usually will make sandwiches etc...have a turkey sandwich..no mayo or dressings ets. Don't drink alcohol since it slows your metabolism (i've given it up, and my life has been just as fun even on vacations!) If there are no healthy alternatives...eat small portions and try to get in some exercise...take the stairs not the elevator, and there is a gym on every cruise ship!!! Now you have to update us all on your big loss!! Have a great vacation, and focus on everything but the food...That is what I have to do...I leave 3 days after you for Aruba...I am looking at the future, and know eating like crap and putting on all the hard worked pounds would just upset me!! My friends are supportive, and understand my struggle..needless to say we won't be ordering pizza, or eating pasta on this trip! A lot of seafood for this girl!!!!
  • hayley26d
    hayley26d Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat ........ sort of.

Im going to the canary islands soon for 2 weeks, all inclusive and im dreading the food and drink side of things.
  • bigunme
    bigunme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try to eat more seafood and only slightly indulge in foods such a pizza, buffalo wings and potatoes/starches, but load up on fruit. . Watch the sugary frozen drinks/alcohol ,strive to move some (walking, swimming, hit the gym, dancing) and drink lots of water.
    Relax, but don't lose sight of your goals and have fun. It won't be easy, but there will be plenty of good choices available, so enjoy.
  • StacyLynn8241
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice! I do not plan on drinking. I know that will help a lot. I am hoping to be able to get some exercise while onboard. I know that the one we went on in January had a gym and a track on it, along with other fun things. I am hoping that the friend I am going with will want to join in. Perhaps I will be able to motivate her!!!!! I will keep everyone posted on how I did when I get back! I know that I will definitely do better than I did back in January....lol