Ground Turkey Meatloaf..

Options
KatBuz7
KatBuz7 Posts: 20 Member
Has anyone tried making a meatloaf with ground turkey?? if so, is it any good??

Replies

• Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey in mine all the time. Hubby can't tell the difference.
  • Lipvanmeier26
    Options
    I make my meatloaf with Jennie O fresh ground turkey. It is really good but I use Salsa and Quaker Oats in mine instead of egg.
  • gomer_hosea
    Options
    That's the only way I like meatloaf. It is be BEST!! It's very moist and you can add anything to it. I like it with green peppers, onions and a little bit of hot sauce.
  • FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I do all the time also. With a little seasoning, no one can tell the difference!
  • Malloryrae1211
    Malloryrae1211 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's the only way I make my meatloaf these days! Add some green pepper and onions and you won't know the difference. :)
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Venison or Ground turkey is the only way I make meatloaf
  • Tinkerbella831
    Options
    I love it I use ground turkey for every thing spaghetti, meatloaf, taco meat anything you would need ground beef for and it is delicious
  • solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    its really good. I cut up red peppers and jalepenos and mix it up in there too. super tasty :)
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    We do a really good version (will be doing it this week!) that we got from a Sesame Street cookbook (goes in the diary as Cookie Monster Meat Loaf :smile: ). It uses turkey and pork and is cooked in muffin tins rather than as a full loaf so that it cooks a bit quicker. One "muffin" is essentially a serving and is the perfect amount for a leftover meatloaf sandwich.

Here are the ingredients: 2 eggs (we use egg substitute), 1 lb. each ground pork and ground turkey, 2 cups oatmeal, 1 onion, 1 carrot shredded, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, and 2/3 cup ketchup. If you do the muffin servings, it makes 16 mini loaves. Mix everything together and bake for 20 - 25 minutes at 350 degrees F. Comes out to around 200 calories per mini loaf depending upon your specific ingredients.

Obviously this can be done as a 1/2 recipe with either pork or turkey, and it could be done as a traditional loaf but will clearly need more time to cook.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm not hating on ground turkey (I love it, in fact), but ultra lean ground beef-- 93/7 sirloin-- is just as healthy and has more iron. That is, unless you're going to use ground turkey breast-- but in my opinion, that seems like it wouldn't come out great. I don't know, though-- I've never tried it. :)
  • stamcat
    stamcat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you can do the samething but put the ground turkey in a muffin pan.....then you have individual ones add a bunch of
    veggies...you got yourself alot of protein!!
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The only meatloaf I've ever had was made with ground turkey. Always Louis Rich, worcestershire sauce, lots of spices, garlic and onion, some ketchup and spinach and done. It's delish.
  • rockytu
    rockytu Posts: 18
    Options
    love it.less greasy.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Haven't made meatloaf with ground beef in *years* usually I just follow the recipe on the back of the onion soup box - 2lbs of turkey, bread crumbs, 1 packet of soup, 2 eggs (can use egg beaters), ketchup, and a little water. I'll sometimes add to it, but that recipe as it is makes for a reliably good meatloaf.

I can't even remember the last time I bought ground beef. have some chili on the stove now in fact. (also with g turkey)
  • northernlights907
    Options
    I love turkey meatloaf. Thats what Im having for dinner tonight actually... Heres my recipe:

Vegetable cooking spray
    1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
    1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1/4 cup chopped garlic and herb-marinated sun-dried tomatoes
    2 cloves garlic, minced, optional
    2 eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
    2 tablespoons whole milk
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 pound ground turkey, preferably dark meat
    Directions
    Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Spray a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, parsley, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, if using, eggs, milk, feta, salt, and pepper. Add the turkey and gently stir to combine, being careful not to overwork the meat.

Carefully pack the meat mixture into the prepared pan and bake until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice. Put on a serving platter and serve.
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Making it tonight - it is awesome you really can't tell the difference. Make it like you would with regular ground beef. Give it a try!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I love it I use ground turkey for every thing spaghetti, meatloaf, taco meat anything you would need ground beef for and it is delicious

^^This for sure.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I always make this with ground turkey... I can't even remember the last time I bought ground beef!
    I also dont use breadcrumbs -- I replace them with quinoa so its higher protein, good carb.
    I often add grated zucchini too - keeps it really moist.

Usually I make them in cupcake tins so I know exactly how many servings I have when I create my recipe here and track my calories :)
  • northernlights907
    Options
    Oh yeah, I also use panko instead of bread crumbs...Im pretty sure panko has half the amount of caloires. First time I used panko I was worried it would taste different but it didnt...
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    this is a yummy recipe!!

skinnykitchen.com
    http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/barbeque-turkey-meatloaf/

Comfort Food at it’s Best…Barbecue Turkey Meatloaf with
    Weight Watchers Points
    Meatloaf is the quintessential American meal. It’s
    nostalgic, hearty and just plain delicious. Most families
    have their special way to prepare it. I’m using a few
    flavorful and healthy twists. The first is to use barbecue
    sauce instead of the usual ketchup. It’s such a small
    change but adding the barbecue sauce makes it taste
    extraordinary. Next, you’ll save a tremendous amount of
    calories and fat by free forming the meatloaf. If you
    prepare it the way your Grandma did, in a loaf pan, the
    fat soaks into the loaf. With this new way, all the excess
    fat is left on the pan not in the loaf and then in your
    stomach. In addition, using lean ground turkey for ground
    beef cuts the fat. Just by making meatloaf this way, you
    save over 250 calories and more astounding 38 grams of
    fat per serving. The skinny for a generous 3 slice
    serving is 244 calories, 3.3g fat and 5 Weight
    Watchers POINTS PLUS.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Bake Time 1 hour

Ingredients:
    1 package ground turkey (about 1¼ pounds)
    ½ cup plain bread crumbs
    1 cup chopped onions
    ½ cup + ½ cup barbecue sauce (I like Sweet Baby Rays, Bull’s-eye or use your favorite)
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 egg whites
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    Fresh ground pepper, to taste
    Instructions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Line a baking pan or cookie sheet with foil.
    3. In a large bowl, combine the turkey, bread crumbs, onions, ½ cup barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce,
    egg whites, salt and pepper and mix well until thoroughly combined.
    4. Place meatloaf mixture in the center of the baking pan and shape into a 12 x 4 inch loaf by hand.
    5. Spread the remaining ½ cup barbecue sauce evenly over the top of the loaf. Add more if desired.
    6. Bake 1 hour and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
    Serves 4

SKINNY FACTS: Serving size, 3 slices
    244 calories, 3.3g fat, 35g protein, 18g carbs, 1g fiber, 754 mg sodium, 29mg calcium, 4g sugar