Any Lacto-Ovo Vegetarians?

Options
2»

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Hello, i am a lacto ovo vegetarian. I try to do without as much as possible. It is very easy to keep meat out of your meals. There are alot of options. Do not be afraid of tofu, just make sure you get it fresh and season it right and you'll be fine. Since he is eating cheese and eggs you don't have too many vitamins to worry about. If he ever starts to not eat those i would recommend either soy milk or another fortified "milk" drink for B12. Protein is easy with beans, lentils, seeds, nuts and whole grains. Best of luck to your son and thank you for taking the time to make him do this right.

vegweb.com and theveganzombie.com has alot of great recipies.

Well, I actually tried tofu today....I don't like the texture lol. It was flavorless, so that's not an issue. Might be able to add it into smoothies, but definitely won't be trying to make it to replace meat again.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    lol I did the same thing to my parents when I was 3. There are lots of fake meats made by morning star or boca (don't buy their burgers though they're so gross). However they have a lot of sodium. I love tofu just look up some recipes online because it could end up not going well. You could fry it in a pan into strips and give him bbq sauce or whatever he likes to as far as dip. A lot of the time I'll just make some veggies in a skillet and add a little soy sauce or vegan butter with tortillas and it tastes really good. Homemade pizza is another really good one/ There are so many options =]. Have fun with it!

Also try looking up spaghetti squash!

(I'm vegan btw) Have a look at my diary if you'd like some ideas (just not today's lol)
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    lol I did the same thing to my parents when I was 3. There are lots of fake meats made by morning star or boca (don't buy their burgers though they're so gross). However they have a lot of sodium. I love tofu just look up some recipes online because it could end up not going well. You could fry it in a pan into strips and give him bbq sauce or whatever he likes to as far as dip. A lot of the time I'll just make some veggies in a skillet and add a little soy sauce or vegan butter with tortillas and it tastes really good. Homemade pizza is another really good one/ There are so many options =]. Have fun with it!

Also try looking up spaghetti squash!

(I'm vegan btw) Have a look at my diary if you'd like some ideas (just not today's lol)

Yeah, I probably won't be buying the fake meat stuff. Doesn't sound appealing, I'd rather just not eat it lol.

I LOVE spaghetti squash! I eat it a lot!

He loves wraps and quesadillas, too. So, I can do a large variety of things there.
  • Red5446
    Red5446 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    No problem! Have fun! Oops; this showed up in the wrong place. I'm new to the message boards. :blushing:
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hello, i am a lacto ovo vegetarian. I try to do without as much as possible. It is very easy to keep meat out of your meals. There are alot of options. Do not be afraid of tofu, just make sure you get it fresh and season it right and you'll be fine. Since he is eating cheese and eggs you don't have too many vitamins to worry about. If he ever starts to not eat those i would recommend either soy milk or another fortified "milk" drink for B12. Protein is easy with beans, lentils, seeds, nuts and whole grains. Best of luck to your son and thank you for taking the time to make him do this right.

vegweb.com and theveganzombie.com has alot of great recipies.

Well, I actually tried tofu today....I don't like the texture lol. It was flavorless, so that's not an issue. Might be able to add it into smoothies, but definitely won't be trying to make it to replace meat again.

If you want to replace meat, Quorn is a far better option IMHO. I love tofu if it is used the right way - it is great in stir-fries, sushi and asian style soups. It then takes on the flavour of what's around it.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Also, I had vegetarian nachos last night, they are very yummy treat and I make a low fat, high protein and vege version of them.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I personally am not a vegetarian of any sort, but my son refuses to eat meat. He's refused for pretty much his whole life and I want to start making more meat free meals. Aside from his refusal, I know it can be healthier if done correctly as well so I don't mind also straying from meats.

Anyway, I was wondering what your favorite recipes are? What does a typical day look like for you?

Thank you! :flowerforyou:

OMFG, mine, too! At first I thought it was a texture / look of meat, but when I recently tried to entice him into rotissire chicken, he yelped, "Nooo! It's a living creature!" WTF.

Anyway, the best bet is to go for things that meat can easily be added to later / on the side. Pasta is a good one-- cook the chicken or whatever meat protein in one pan, have noodles and sauce seprate, and add whatever you like to your own plate.

Cheese is a good protein source, but can be hard while you are watching cals.

We also do a lot of beans and meatless products, like soy bacon and veggie burgers (morningstar farms is my favorite brand). My son is luckily a pescatarian (the effing kid is only 3, I should mention), so we can do fish flaked into rice or pasta and fish sticks (Ian's makes a great healthy version).

GL!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I would actually recommend making him an account on here so you can keep track of his nutrients, protein, iron and calcium for sure! It sure helps me.

That's not a bad idea! Only problem is, for lunch, I know what I send him, but I know sometimes he doesn't eat it all! I think he eats pretty well for the most part, but I really need to start making more dinners for him, b/c now he just eats what we eat w/o the meat.

A typical day for him looks like this:

Breakfast - scrambled eggs with a little cheese and some fruit/oatmeal and fruit/cereal with milk and fruit

Lunch - PB & J (or sometimes a drizzle of honey instead of jelly/jam) on whole grain bread, yogurt, fruit and some veggies like carrots

Dinner - whatever we eat minus meat...so sometimes pasta and veggies, sometimes just veggies and bread

Snacks - fruits, veggies, yogurt, homemade granola bars

He also drinks milk with lunch everyday, sometimes breakfast. At home my kids primarily drink water. I don't really make them fruit flavored drinks (Kool-aid) or give them much juice.

These boys are brothers from another mother. Don't forget to protein him up at night-- I do cheese often times, or some not-too-sugared up yogurt. Do try the meatless products! I think he will like it. If you are worried about processed food, try making your own veggie burgers and serving them as sliders, crumbled up into his pasta, cut into strips like finger food...