Ooo my HIPS!

Options
OK... I have been running for a few months now and I am starting to get some what "good" at it. I am taking steps at a time to do what I can to improve my running. I got my feet looked at and found out I over pronate and needed stability shoes. I finally broke down and bought a HRM (polar ft4 ftw!) and my calves no longer burn like hell the first 10 mins of running....

BUT... my HIPS, my Hips ache like hell once I get around the 20 min. mark of my runs! To the point where I have to slow down my pace... My question is, is there specific stretches just for the hips that I can do before and after my run that will give real results?? In other words, is there anyone on MFP who had the same issues, made some changes and seen results??

I am starting to run more races now and I would love to be able to get my hips to get a long with the rest of my body so we can work as a team and I can perform at my best!

Replies

• slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Bump for later. I have some suggestions but I need to look up pictures for you.
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    All I know is a good hip stretch- Standing put one ankle over your other knee and bend kinda like sitting, takes a little balance but it stretches the hips really well, do on each side.
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    awesome...I'll take any help i can get with this... because as I am typing this my hips are aching, and I came home from my run at 11am. My next attempt will be putting a heating pad on them lol.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I started a hip stretch that really helps. Sit on the floor, crossed leg. Right foot on top of left knee, lean forward for 30 sec, lean right with face to right knee, and lean left and do the same. Repeat with left foot on top of rt knee. Try it it may help.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Bumping. I don't have hip pain but have had tightness in my hips for about a year now...
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    If you have hip pain after a certain time of exercise, stretching will help to relieve the pain, but won't increase the tolerance. If they aren't conditioned to go longer than that you should stop. Pain is an indicator to your body that something is WRONG. Don't try to push past the pain just because you believe that you're wimping out if you do.
    Take the cure from your body. If 20 minutes is it, then find something else to do that can still help, but not impact your hips.
  • deverajeanne
    deverajeanne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you have hip pain after a certain time of exercise, stretching will help to relieve the pain, but won't increase the tolerance. If they aren't conditioned to go longer than that you should stop. Pain is an indicator to your body that something is WRONG. Don't try to push past the pain just because you believe that you're wimping out if you do.
    Take the cure from your body. If 20 minutes is it, then find something else to do that can still help, but not impact your hips.

This is good advice! Our bodies were meant to handle running - if you are experiencing pain your body is telling you that something is wrong (remember pain is different than discomfort which may only indicate a lack of fitness). My advice is to go to a physiotherapist for an assessment.
  • BUMP for later. im not a runner but my hips often ache. not sure if its from all the extra weight, or what. but i hate it
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's as much stretching - which is SO important, but maybe hip strengthening exercises may help too. I'd start on YouTube for both searches for hip Stretches and hip strengthening. Look up "Hip Flexor" stretches and strengthening as well.

I have tight piriformus muscles which make my feet go numb, I have a tennis ball I use to go under my butt cheek when I sit, this may help you as well.

And back to my own suggestion - it may be in your shoes as well. Was the pain as bad or there before you got the new shoes? I'm a firm believer in a more neutral shoe without the corrections, I believe sometimes the corrections actually cause more problems by lack of strengthening weaknesses and modifications to form.

I've been to several dr for different running pains - and have found - in the long run, Runners! are really the answer. Fellow runners actually deal with these aches and pains and have ideas for corrections rather than Dr. that just want to give NSAIDS, do MRI's, or surgery, etc etc.

I also use a massage therapist best thing I've found for that extra stretching I just can't do on my own.

One last thing - strong core is the most important thing IMO for you hips and knees and back pain as a runner. Hold your core tight with a pelvic tilt a big, will allow your hips to move on an axis of front to back motion instead of side to side, which can cause hip pain as well.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Have you tried yoga? on youtube under yogayak - There are few great videos and full classes.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Oh man I totally know what you're talking about!!!

The one and only thing that helped to stretch my hips out and make it feel better was putting my one foot onto something about hip level (could be lower if you're not flexible enough) with your other foot farther back so you're at about a 45 degree angle and leaning forward. I'm not sure if that makes sense but I don't know if this stretch has a name that you could look up or anything. It's just something that I do. I remember at work the one day my hips were soooo sore I was doing this at the counter when nobody was there. haha
  • GTI_Girl
    GTI_Girl Posts: 207
    Options
    I know what you are talking about lol cause when i get back to the house after a run, that is one of the first things I do! It feels good but they still ache afterwards.