Joint Support Supplements

Options
I'm still in my 20's but I run and don't see any end to that. After talking with one of my professors (an MD), I have decided that it could only be beneficial to add a joint support supplement to my diet.

What do you take, recommend? Why?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I'm just starting to take Glucosamine for my knee!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My multi- (Orange Triad by Controlled Labs), has glucosamine/joint supplements in it.
  • tiffanydawnn
    tiffanydawnn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My mom swears by glucosamine and msm.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'm still in my 20's but I run and don't see any end to that. After talking with one of my professors (an MD), I have decided that it could only be beneficial to add a joint support supplement to my diet.

What do you take, recommend? Why?

Thanks in advance!

Old sports injuries have taken a toll on my joints. I'm turning 44 in a few weeks and I've been taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements for a few weeks now. I don't notice a huge difference, but I can certainly tell when I have missed taking them for a few days.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I take a product called Recovery (Purica/Biomedica Labs) because in addition to the typical ingredients, it also has a great antioxidant complex. It's also vegan. I have arthritis in my ankle from multiple fractures, as well as in my neck. I've let myself run out a couple of times, and it became pretty obvious in about six days that it really was helping!
  • occupyme
    occupyme Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My NP recommended glucosamine chondroitin complex, too. The bottle calls for 3/day; I take 1/day. You should ask your doc if you should/what you should take.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I take a combination supplement that has Glucosamine, with MSM and Chondroitin.
  • gizmonel
    Options
    Fish oil plus Glucosamine is a great combo. Also by limiting processed foods and sugar that helps too. Ever since limiting my meat it has helped greatly!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    When my son first started running, he found that Glucosamine/Chondroitin really helped with the aching in his knees. He also mixed in some bike riding which helped take the strain off his knees. That was a few years ago, he still runs now, but no longer has the knee problems. (and no longer takes the Glucosamine/Chondroitin) He swears by getting fitted for and wearing good running shoes.
  • adhillman01
    Options
    The latest research shows that these supplements (Glucosamine/Chrondroitin) are not effective for relieving osteoarthritis of the knee. I'm in pharmacy school and my best friend did two research presentations on it and the more recent papers showed no difference from placebo.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I take extra strong cod liver oil, and I've really noticed a difference. 2 months ago i couldn't do any sort of lunges, either leg, without pain my right knee.

Now, the pain is much reduced, almost unnoticeable. I was a sceptic too, but after taking them and seeing a difference when i stopped taking them for a week, I'm sold tbh :)

The research you talk about admillman may show it's not effective for relieving osteoarthritis. Clearly i don't have that then, as whatever is cocking up in my knee the supplements seem to help it!