Losing weight too fast?

Options
I have gone from a pretty much sedentary lifestyle to starting to work out 3 or 4 times a week and tracking my calories with MFP.

I am not starving myself and, a lot of days, I find that I am a bit over my calorie goal. I do not feel like I am starving, nor am I overworking myself.

However, I have lost 10 pounds since September 26th and, lost 4.5 pounds in the past 8 days (209 pounds on 9/22, 205.5 on 9/30). I've heard that it isn't healthy to lose weight this rapidly.

Is this just something that happens in the beginning and should I expect this to even out or do I have to adjust something with my diet and exercise goals? Should I expect this to slow down at some point, perhaps to the point where next week's weigh in reveals that I have remained even or gained a pound?

Replies

• Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It is normal to lose weight rapidly at first.
    It will slow down.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    yup. this ^^^
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Some of it is water weight, and it will slow down as you go along...enjoy it!! Best of luck! :)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    As long as your getting good nutrition, ride that wave until it ends!
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    It was already said above I believe but yea a lot of it was probably water weight in the beginning and you're body not being used to such an active lifestyle. It's almost like a jumpstart, and again it was stated above but results will dramatically slow down, I'd almost be more concerned if they didn't! Great job though keep the motivation and intensity high!!
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Yep I am in the same boat.... started mfp 10 days ago and lost 8 lbs.... but I have lost more through crash dieting. I think the greatest dangers are dangerous electrolyte imbalances caused by not getting enough nutrients, dehydration, and just regaining all the weight back! This applies to losing weight through extreme diets/fasting - I can't really see the dangers of losing weight too fast if you are actually eating above 1200 calories.... and like the others said above a lot of it is water weight from dropping the junk food.
  • kid320
    kid320 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the replies. I had a feeling that is what was happening, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

It is also nice to know that this will slow down so I don't become discouraged when it happens.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Keep a going. There will be stutters, and temporary stops, and quick downgrades, but it won't really be journey without them.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You'll know when something is wrong right away - you'll feel dizzy, nauseous, and lethargic if you're losing weight too fast. In addition, at least in my experience, your liver will feel tender from processing the large amounts of toxins released as a result from your body going into ketogenesis and breaking down muscle/fat. I used to lose weight so fast through fasting/appetite suppressants that my liver would actually hurt and I would have muscle spasms of my abdomen around that area.
    Thanks a lot for the replies. I had a feeling that is what was happening, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

It is also nice to know that this will slow down so I don't become discouraged when it happens.