too much vitamins?

Options
I currently take a daily vitamin (One a Day for Men). It certainly helps with the vitamins I don't normally get or not enough of but there are a few like vitamin A and E that according to my nutrition guide on MFP im getting like 200% daily value. Is there such a thing as too much vitamins?

Replies

• Amyeeeeeee
    Amyeeeeeee Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    well there is and there isnt. I mean if you are eating alot of greens and then you take a vitamin K for example you are over doing it. If you are only taking a multi vitamin and then eating healthy try and find one that is a simple and not one with extra this or that. Does that help?
    :wink:
  • aimeerowe91
    Options
    i don't think it can do too much harm having extra vitamins and minerals. i always go over because of my vitamin tablet.
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    To be honest with you, the vitamins your body cannot deal with, you just pee them out (excess vitamins make it all bright orange or yellow *hehe*)
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    To be honest with you, the vitamins your body cannot deal with, you just pee them out (excess vitamins make it all bright orange or yellow *hehe*)

True to some extent, depends whether the vitamin is water or fat soluble...some vitamins in excess is very toxic, vitamin A for example.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options

True to some extent, depends whether the vitamin is water or fat soluble...some vitamins in excess is very toxic, vitamin A for example.

Ditto - you do not excrete an excess of fat soluble vitamins, so there is in fact the possibility of "too much." The therapeutic index (meaning the safe window, for lack of a better explanation) of some is quite narrow. You might want to research vitamin toxicity. :flowerforyou:

Here's a relevant fact sheet:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09315.html