Need Lap Band Success Stories

Options
Please see the Lap Band Topic if this is your interest... my lap band surgery is coming soon... before it got this close all I ever heard about bariatric surgery was WISH I'D DONE IT SOONER!..... Now all I'm hearing is problems.

Please respond to me if:

You are at least 3 years past surgery date AND
You have lost 50% or more of your excess body weight AND
You have not had major health issues or repeat surgeries.

I need to know that (and if) you are out there.

Thanks from an Impending Bander,
Sharifit53

PS if you are not a surgery fan, I respect your opinion but am really talking to the banders here. Thanks.

Replies

• Gemini_at_36
    Options
    I have to respond although I am 13 days post op gastric bypass. Whatever you decide it has to be for you. Yes you are going to hear about individuals who had a hard time or it was very emotional. And yes you may be that person also BUT if you don't have the band done, what is your health going to be 3 years from now. Can you lose the weight by yourself without this tool? I have had no complications, actually got out of the hospital the next day after surgery. Just kept walking and using the incentive spirometer to get my oxygen saturation up due to all the anesthesia. In 3 years I don't want to have diabetes, I don't want to have hypertension, and I dont want to have sleep apnea and using a mask to sleep at night. What do you want? I hope this helps, good luck in whatever you do, because let's face it, it is not about all those other people, it is about YOU.:flowerforyou:
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I didn't have it, but my mother did. She's about 2 years post-op, and has lost 100 lbs (she started in the high 200s). She does still have issues with vomiting if she eats too fast/too much or certain foods that get 'stuck' but otherwise she's doing quite well.
  • jsoaper01
    jsoaper01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i have had the band for about two years. Its not what I thought it would be but it helps i guess. I have about 30 more pounds to go. Dont do it if you dont have determination to loose because you will be disappointed, you still have to diet.
  • sharifit53
    sharifit53 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great input on success with lap band. Next question.... how many calories do you typically eat with the band? I am in preop phase and am getting about 1500 with regular dieting.

They have told me protein first 60gm minimum then fruits and veggies.... is that how you are all eating and how many cal are you ending up with?

Sharifit53
  • mfontanez77
    mfontanez77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've had the band for over a year and I hit my 60 gm of protein and I find my calories are around 1100-1500. I am also doing low carb because I found that after losing 50 pounds in the first 8 months after the surgery I wanted to continue eating like I was before just in smaller quantities. I ended up gaining 12 pounds back :(. When they say the band is only a tool they are so right. If you want to cheat you can and if you are a sweet eater like I used to be then you will not be as successful as someone who isn't.

I'm on my bike an hour a day, cut out sweets, and I now eat low carb and I've lost those 12 pounds and am back on track.

If I can offer any other information about the surgery I will tell you the day of and the couple of days following the surgery I thought I made a mistake. I was in pain and wasn't happy at all, but give yourself time to heal and work with the band and you'll get to your goal. I like that the weight loss is slower than gastric bypass, it gives you body time to recover from carrying around all that extra weight. I wish you all the best. If you're interested you can friend me, we need all the support we can get.
  • kateland
    kateland Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I've had the band for 7 years. I lost 104 lbs (296 - 192) in the first year and a half and then my port leaked, but I didn't know it. I maintained for a year, but still had about 30 left to lose. (my doc wanted me at 170 but you know us women, I wanted 150) I didn't have the time to get the port fixed and maintained for 2 years, up and down the same 20 lbs, and then I ended up having the port replaced at the same time I had major excess skin removal (woo!). A year later, last year actually, the TUBE then sprung a leak! >:| I've gotten the tube fixed in April. I won't give up. I love the band, love the mental relief it's given me.

Everyone's different in their weight problem causes. My trigger is hunger. I'm unfreakingreasonable when I'm hungry. For me the band not only stopped me from being hungry, but it shut up all the noise in my head. I didn't realize until I got my magic fill how literally obsessed my brain was with my body, other people's bodies, how I compared, how ugly I was, how obsessed with calories, counting, and self worth were tied up in a scale.

The problems I've had with the mechanics of my band are minor, and very unusual. I don't know anyone else in my support circle who has had these kinds of issues with leaking.

I would never, EVER change my decision. I wish I'd done this sooner, too! The band has always been just a tool to HELP me make better decisions. I've eaten past the band and not lost any weight, or gained. THere is still work for you to do, but you will be absolutely amazed at how much easier these decisions are to make compared to how they are without the band.

Food addiction is real - and you don't have to be a bulimic or anorexic to have a food addiction.

The band isn't for everyone, since everyone's different. If you're ready to follow the program, it will be like no other diet you've ever experienced. You can calm down, slow down, listen to your body. It's what other people are able to do and I never could. It's truly a miracle, as far as I'm concerned. One day I might not need the band's restriction, but it's in there now, and I love it, and am here on MFP to kick my last 30 - 50 lbs (I still want 150!) by working it like everyone else.

I've never felt more normal.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    If you have not had the lap band surgery, I would suggest you avoid it if at all possible.

While lap band surgery is not quite as invasive as some weight loss surgeries, it has it's share of serious complications:

http://bmi.ucsd.edu/weight-loss-surgery/lap-band/Pages/risks.aspx

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forum/70-lap-band-complications
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Avoid it. My mom had it done & regrets it now. I've seen her struggle with complications from it & don't wish it on anyone.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I am 5 years post op
    I weighed 160kg's at my highest
    I got down to 76kg - my lowest
    I regained a significant amount of weight when I was pregnant, I was nearly up to 120
    Now I am down to 87 or so kg and have about 21kg to get to my first goal weight (where I am in the healthy weight range)

My thoughts: yes it has helped to lose the initial weight because I was less hungry and I got full more quickly... but I still had to deal with the emotional issues I had with eating, I still had to learn the healthy eating habits and I still had to exercise. There are many who do not succeed with the band because you can cheat the band (by drinking and eating at the same time, or by consuming a lot of high calorie junk food which can pass through the band). It's possible I could have done this without the band, but I guess we'll never know. I think I am at the stage where I could get it removed as it makes no difference to my weight loss progress now because I still have to watch everything I eat and I go to the gym 6 days a week.

Some tips for having the band - count calories, eat slowly and chew a LOT (general rule of thumb is about 20 times), eat whole foods and avoid junk food. People who have complications or do not succeed often seem not to follow these rules, they eat too quickly and food gets stuck or they keep eating junk and they don't lose the weight.

There is a group for lap banders you can join as well for more stories.

Edit* - I forgot to mention health issues. I haven't had major ones but I do think that it has caused me to have acid reflux and possibly IBS. I sort of just deal with it.
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you have not had the lap band surgery, I would suggest you avoid it if at all possible.

While lap band surgery is not quite as invasive as some weight loss surgeries, it has it's share of serious complications:

Any surgery has a chance of serious complications.

Lapbad is what you make it if you over eat or eat to fast you have a chance of throwing up and causing your band to slip so remember that when you want to stuff a big slice of bread in your mouth.
  • KendaVSG
    KendaVSG Posts: 147
    Options

TO the quoted commenter:
    Have YOU had the surgery done?? Why do you feel you have the right to make the suggestion for someone to not get something that can help them be healthy? There are people who truly need the tool of bariatric surgery to help them achieve a healthy lifestyle. Unfortunately many do not seek out that help because of judgmental people and assumptions those people make.

To the OP: It IS a tool to use. It is NOT an easy fix. You will have pain after surgery. You WILL have to adjust to a totally different lifestyle. It is possible to be unsuccessful. However, if you do what you are supposed to do, and listen to your body then you will be successful. You have to be willing to put the work and effort in. Small portions. Good protein first, vitamins, exercise. It is a must. Or it won't work. As another person above said, this is a decision that only you can make. YOU are the only one that knows what you are willing to change and stick with. Your body will change, your mindset will change, and your attitude will change.

If you want input from actual Bandsters I highly recommend going to Blogger. Here is the link for a friend's blog. She is a successful Bandster who is currently maintaining. Her blog talks about the ups and downs of being banded and every day life. Plus, she has many many other bandsters' blogs you can access from her page.

http://amandakiska.blogspot.com/2010/02/it-was-perhaps-month-ago-that-i-did.html
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Because I have friends that had a lap band, and they had horrible digestive problems ever since!
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Because I have friends that had a lap band, and they had horrible digestive problems ever since!

I have friends and relatives who have had it and they have had great success
  • kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I had it done in 2007... it was the most expensive mistake I have ever made. I would NOT recommend it.

The band doesn't do anything except limit your ability to eat healthy food. My band is unfilled and yet to this day I have difficulty eating veggies, whole grain breads, brown rice, lettuce. Some days are better than others but I will likely always have an issue (until I get the stupid thing removed). Seriously, only consider the band as a last resort. Try exercise and diet first. I wish I would have... I've been more successful doing things right than with the band.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Yes some people have success with a lap band. BUT it's a big gamble, because many people do have long term complications and regret having it done.

Here are some lap band forums where you can read about other people's experiences before you make a decision to go through with the surgery

http://womensenews.org/story/medicine/110314/lap-band-complications-could-tie-nations-er?page=0,1

http://unlawflcombatnt.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=medical&action=display&thread=8857

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forum/146-post-operation-lap-band-surgery-questions-answers/

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forum/70-lap-band-complications/
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have not personally had it done, but my aunt has. It has been over two years since she has had it, and has not had any repeat surgeries. As far as I know, she hasn't had any vomitting or problems with it (She is quite a blabber-mouth, so we would have known by now). As of now, she has lost about 70 pounds and seems to be very happy with it.

Then again, she has many people at her work that have also gotten it done and haven't lost any weight because they didn't change their eating habits at all, or ended up gaining it all back.

Sorry I couldn't help more.
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    Don't feed the troll! They have been on other forum posts doing the same thing! There is a reason her profile is closed/has no profile pic/no ticker!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I am not a troll. I am providing links with experiences of others that have gone through this procedure. How is that being a troll?.

I believe that anyone considering surgery -- especially elective surgery, such as WLS -- should be provided with a LOT more information about the possible complications than most WLS patients seem to be getting from their doctors. I would want to know about ALL the possible problems if I was planning on getting a major surgery, and not just the positive outcomes.
  • allnewellie
    Options
    this friday I will be 6 months out from my VSG. it was a long decision coming, and before my Dr. and I decided on VSG, I was seriously considering lapband.

One of the ladies who worked for me had a lapband put in, and suffered tremendously with it. I spent several nights in the ER with her, because she kept having issues with food being stuck or immense pain at the port site. She dropped 35-40 lbs in the first three months, then gained most of it back, because it was "easier" to eat the crap than the dietitian recommended diet. She played the band, instead of working with it.

I know myself - and I know my habits. At the first sign of something not going right - I would have started working my band. The VSG has allowed me (as one other poster put it) FREEDOM from worry about food, menu and dieting in general. It has been an amazing tool in my journey to a healthier me.

Whichever you decide, I hope you have peace and confidence that it is right for you. Don't let others dictate what you need or don't need; and surround yourself with accepting and supportive people. MAKE SURE you're in an active support group. Admit when you're having trouble and ask for help from experienced people. Be friends with your Dr and their staff --- they will have a huge impact on the rest of your life, even after the surgery is over.

Best wishes!
  • mcrmsi77
    mcrmsi77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My friends mom had it and lost about 120 pounds... but has gained abut 50 pounds after 2 years but she doesnt follow a diet or anything :( she still has issues with food getting stuck and stuff like that and throws up alot. But i also have a friend that has lost 100 pounds and has kept it off for 2 years! she throws up every once in a while and certain foods do not agree with her band but she is doing pretty well... she exercises daily and eats a very sensible diet :) hope this helps
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!