Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Halloween Help

I'm seeking moral support/suggestions on avoiding my Halloween Candy pitfall. I have 4 trick-or-treaters in my home and the house is full of my favorite candies (Kit Kat, Snickers, Twix - any chocolate for that matter) since my kids have already had a pre trick-or-treat event. Today was a failure and I finally stopped counting calories due to guilt and the candy I snuck from their bags. Even though I've told myself I won't eat anymore, I know tomorrow will be even more tempting after the real trick-or-treating is over. I've offered to buy the candy off my children so I can dispose of it. If I know it's in the house I'm tempted. But, only my oldest seems interested in giving it up. Any help or suggestions?

Replies

• tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Ship it off to the soldiers. Google the address or contact the USO. Might as well get some good from tossing all those treats!

Out of sight out of mind-- make the kids keep it in a cabinet or in their closet (if they are old enough to not gorge on it). Lock it up. It sounds crazy but it would work. Dole out X amount of candy to each kid per day and lock the rest up.
  • patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Have the kids donate half to the closest food bank or church supper.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    I forgot to mention that in my city a local dentist does a buy back program-- $X for each pound. You could look into something like that and let the smaller kids pick out a new toy or book with their money.
  • Jen788134
    Jen788134 Posts: 36 Member
    Just get some healthy alternatives in for you.. Let the kids enjoy their treats.. A few fun size chocs wont hurt you if you can't stick to your healthy stuff
  • Tomorrow is a new day! Don't let today's failures put you down!! You have your whole life ahead of you! Start over tomorrow and dont ever let yourself give in again! but if you do because we are human and we are not perfect THEN JUST GET RIGHT BACK ON TRACK AGAIN !!

Till then i think the only other thing thats going to make you feel better is to do a nice long work out to the point of sweating!!

And next time you want a piece of candy please look at this link it will help you stick to 100 cal or it will help remind you how much cal are in candy! not to mention fat! lol and sugar and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its scariest thing about Halloween thats for sure!

GOOD LUCK HERE IS THE LINK CHECK IT OUT!

http://www.fitsugar.com/Photos-100-Calories-Halloween-Candy-19305820?page=0,0,7#8
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 584 Member
    You just have to make the decision to stay out of it and stick to it. The world is full of temptations be strong make your choice and stick with it. I chose not to have any because once I start its so much harder. Personal NSV for me was my wife made chocolate chip cookies and they smelled so good, but nothing is as good a seeing the scale go down so I chose not to have any I haven't even thought about them and they have been in the house for a few days now. NOW I Want one.... I think I will go get some water.

Best of luck and be strong.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    This is a perfect time to practice one of the most important things to help from gaining weight back: self control. I know it's easier said than done, but it really is the only permanent solution. Your kids will have candy again, you'll be at parties with foods you like, etc. If you bombed today, then start tomorrow with a different approach. Maybe you could allot yourself one of each of your very favorite candies. Put the candy your kids have and that you bought into an inconvenient place and in containers that require some manipulation and effort to open. If you have to stop to think about eating it---getting the container out, opening it up, putting it back, etc.--it gives you more time to think about why you don't want to eat it.

I love good chocolate but realized a few years ago that most of the mass-market chocolate really isn't that satisfying to me. So the way I satisfy my chocolate craving is by keeping Lindt Lindor Truffles on hand at work. (If I kept them at home my husband would eat the entire bag--literally.) When I'm having one of those days where chocolate is desperately needed, one of them fits the bill and is 70 calories. They are so rich that eating more than one in close succession actually diminishes the flavor/value.

And then there's the trick of thinking of the calories in terms of what you will need to do to burn them off--how much time on the elliptical, swimming, etc., and then deciding if it's really worth it. I have spit out food that I've started to eat when I realize what it's going to cost me in calories--just because you start it doesn't mean you have to finish it!
  • Thanks for all the great suggestions. It was one of those moments where I needed moral support. Tomorrow is a new day with a fresh start. I will remember that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels and to practice self discipline.