Reaching your calorie goal

Options
jill___
jill___ Posts: 188 Member
As hard as I try, I can't reach my calorie goal!!!

I typically eat between 500-800 calories a day, when I should be eating 1200. I want to reach 1200 calories a day, but my stomach just won't allow it.

Any tips on getting in more calories?!

Replies

• CindiBryce
    Options
    You may be underestimating your calories. And for how long have you been eating 500-800?
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    you need to eat calorie dense foods. Avocado, Nuts, peanut butter, hey, chocolate, a cookie. If you've got the calories to spare, eat them. You will lose more weight that way.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Eat more high calorie foods or walnuts and after a few days you will start noticing that you are hungrier and 1200 will not seem like so much.
  • kathryncowart
    Options
    I have the same problem. Over the years when I would diet, My calorie goal was 500. On my current diet I have raised my goal to 700, but I find that I always end up around 600 on average.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    If you like peanut butter, that's a nice high calorie food you can eat without feeling too guilty. Nuts are great. Milk, fruits, etc. But you're right, you really should be eating at least 1200 calories a day, unlike the poster above me, or your body will go into starvation mode.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    That is so LOW cal chili you made..do you have a recipe??
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    Pinpoint your problem. Do you fear eating more? Are you afraid that eating more than 800 calories will make you gain weight? Has it become a habit? At your current weight especially, eating so little is extremely detrimental. You can lose efficiently on a much higher caloric intake, maybe even 1400.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    As hard as I try, I can't reach my calorie goal!!!

I typically eat between 500-800 calories a day, when I should be eating 1200. I want to reach 1200 calories a day, but my stomach just won't allow it.

Any tips on getting in more calories?!

Practice, practice.

This might apply to you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/380938-absolutely-miserable-failing-weightloss-epically?quote=5205327
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Have a nice bagel with cream cheese, yumm
  • jill___
    Options
    Pinpoint your problem. Do you fear eating more? Are you afraid that eating more than 800 calories will make you gain weight? Has it become a habit? At your current weight especially, eating so little is extremely detrimental. You can lose efficiently on a much higher caloric intake, maybe even 1400.

I don't eat this little intentionally. I eat as much food as I can, and it always come out to be around 600 calories. I have a stomach condition and I get sick if I eat too much food.
  • CindiBryce
    Options

I don't eat this little intentionally. I eat as much food as I can, and it always come out to be around 600 calories. I have a stomach condition and I get sick if I eat too much food.
    Oh, sorry about your condition. What's it called? How did you get to your starting weight? Is eating more than 800 hard for you simply because you are used to eating so little?
  • CindiBryce
    Options

Oh, sorry about your condition. What's it called? How did you get to your starting weight? Is eating more than 800 hard for you simply because you are used to eating so little?
  • jill___
    Options
    That is so LOW cal chili you made..do you have a recipe??

It was already listed when I typed in Homemade Turkey Chili.

I use mostly veggies, beans, and 99% Lean Ground Turkey -- so for a cup, it seemed to be accurate. It may be more, I'm not sure.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    If you feel sick, try eating multiple times a day, maybe even 1-2 hours.
  • jill___
    Options

It's called Gastritis. It's just inflammation of the stomach lining. When I was 16 I developed Hypothyroidism and gain about 90lbs in 6 months -- not from over eating or anything, it was totally out of my control until my medication was under control. I know that sounds stupid because people use thyroid problems as an excuse all the time.

Sometimes I go a whole week at a time without being able to eat anything but soup broth. I think because I've been eating so little for so long, I get full from very little food.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    im having a hard time reaching my 3100 calorie goal...
    i just ate 1.3 cups of brown rice 1 4oz can of tuna in olive oil, a whole grain natty peanut butter sandwich and a homemade protein drink of 400 calories. Since I am gaining , i cannot miss my goal so I have to find anything to fill up my calories...there's no room for failure :P
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It sounds as though you need to get some professional advice. If your gastritis is preventing you from eating enough, then that is a very serious problem and you can't afford to keep going like this, you will end up with malnutrition.

What about asking your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist so they can work with you to develop an eating plan.

I would guess that regular small meals would be the way to go, but there are probably some foods that are better for you than others, so get some professional advice - SOON!
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I TEND TO AGREE - NOTHING COOKED IN BUTTER SAUCE CAN BE WORTH SO FEW CALLORIES. I ALSO THINK YOU NEED MORE PROTIEN IN YOUR DIET, THET WILL GET YOUR CALLORIES UP THERE.
  • jill___
    Options
    I TEND TO AGREE - NOTHING COOKED IN BUTTER SAUCE CAN BE WORTH SO FEW CALLORIES. I ALSO THINK YOU NEED MORE PROTIEN IN YOUR DIET, THET WILL GET YOUR CALLORIES UP THERE.

The only thing I have in butter sauce is a prepackaged Green Giant vegetable thing. Those are the calories on the package, and those calories are actually for 2 servings. I don't think it's real butter, just butter flavored sauce.