do you feel anxiety as you lose weight?

Options
What's weird is that when I lose weight I feel great physically but I'll have these periods where I feel severe anxiety for some reason. I actually feel more secure when I'm fat - part of it is that I think people I know will think I'm on drugs or that my relationships with them will change. I think my previous attempts at losing weigpht and staying are failed because of this anxiety... anyone experience the same? Could it be caused by the extra energy?

Replies

• bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    To hell with what people think! I figure they think I had my stomach stapled, more power to them. They need to spend more time looking in the mirror than at me!!!
    Do what makes you happy!~
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It's the same reason I feel anxiety about dressing up or wearing more makeup than normal or getting a drastic new haircut. You're overly concerned with other people's opinions. But here's something that I've learned and am working hard at remembering: if people love you, they're not going to judge you for making changes that make you feel good about yourself. If they do judge you negatively, then you don't really want them around anyway.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Be joyous in your journey! You are making changes for a healthier lifestyle for you! I'm with the above poster, who cares what they think!!
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I worry that I'll gain it all back overnight...but I'm commited to this change I'm making.
    Don't worry so much about what others will think, what matters is that you're HEALTHY. :) Much Love!
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I used to hide behind my layers of fat and as they peeled away in the past, my anxieties were fully exposed to the world. This time I have made a lifestyle change and a newer, more confident me is bursting out from within.

So I understand where you are coming from and I am equally sure that you will overcome.
  • JillianDixon
    Options
    I sometimes feel anxiety, because I can say people don't like me because I'm fat. Guys will think I'm pretty, but not dateable, and girls will think I'm nice, but I don't fit into their "click" (don't know how spell it) because of my weight. But if someone didn't like me because of my personality, I think I would be devastated. I hide behind my weight sometimes. I am married now, so they guy issue is over. I am starting to realize that my girlfriends want to hang out with me and my weight has nothing to do with it. Just a lot of pressure sometimes. Does this make any sense?
  • MrsPeavley
    MrsPeavley Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This is normal... I work at a rehab and through working with drug addicts I found that I was a compulsive over eater and I have took charge of my eating ways... It causes me anxiety and stress because I have used food to surpress my feelings and emotions. I have noticed with each pound that I loose more emotions come up and I am up and down but I know what I am doing is for the best! Good luck to you and fel free to add me!!!
  • Rohnic
    Rohnic Posts: 82
    Options
    Hi,
    I didn't experience it myself, but a very dear friend of mine had the same troubles.
    She went from lets say very big to skinny. the skinnier she became, the more scared she got of meeting people,
    especially people she knew before she got thin. She never really talked about it with me, all she said was
    that she didnt like that all people now talk about with her is her weight loss.
    Its been a couple years now, my friend regained a little weight but maintains it at a healthy level.
    She doesnt avoid people too much anymore, and never mentioned it again.
    I suggest that you talk to your close friends about it, or even seek professional help, a chat never hurts.
    All the best on your journey,
    hope it'll go well for you!
    Nicola
  • daveytrouble
    Options
    i have no advice here. but i do think that's really interesting. feel good knowing you're interesting.
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel anxiety, because I can say people don't like me because I'm fat. Guys will think I'm pretty, but not dateable, and girls will think I'm nice, but I don't fit into their "click" (don't know how spell it) because of my weight. But if someone didn't like me because of my personality, I think I would be devastated. I hide behind my weight sometimes. I am married now, so they guy issue is over. I am starting to realize that my girlfriends want to hang out with me and my weight has nothing to do with it. Just a lot of pressure sometimes. Does this make any sense?

This was totally me when I was younger. I lost about 80 lbs post high school and kept it off for about 5 years. Those years were such conflicting times. It felt great to be "thin" but suddenly I had all this other emotional stuff I had to deal with. I often found myself trying too hard to be "normal" or "desirable". It's certainly a transition that can stir up some unexpected emotions.
  • chanson104
    Options
    Wow!! I thought that I was the only one that had this problem!!
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Yeah I guess I care too much about what people think when I should be doing this for myself. Y
    Overeating really is comforting so losing that support and actually having to face my own insecurities is probably the cause of my anxiety. I think I found a way to deal with these intermittent feelings - I almost didn't run today because of I felt really nervous for some reason but as soon as I reached second wind during my run it was as if my anxieties melted away.... after the run I felt so at peace so I guess the anxiety may be my newest motivation to run regularly :). Knowing that I'm not alone in this problem will also help me deal with this as I know that other people can deal with it so I should... hmm possible new group?