Is it ok not to each all your calories when you're sick?

Options
I have a nasty head cold, lost my voice. The only thing keeping me human is Mucinex DM and Advil. I am forcing myself to eat. The drinking goes better if I do a big mug of I Love Lemon tea with honey. Still though, I am just not able to eat 1200 calories, I can't smell any food (unless it's brownies for tomorrow for my son's class). Oy. I have been dragging myself around through sheer will power today, should have been in bed, but there are no sick days for moms. And a huge work day tomorrow that I can't miss. Anyway, is it ok if I don't eat the 1200 calories for a few days? It's not like I am capable of moving much anyway...

Replies

• healthorhighwater
    healthorhighwater Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    yes, your body takes your appetite away so it doesn't have to digest and burn food. this way, it can focus on healing ur body. lots of fluids!!!!!!!
  • comeback0903
    comeback0903 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    yes, your body takes your appetite away so it doesn't have to digest and burn food. this way, it can focus on healing ur body. lots of fluids!!!!!!!

AGREED

FEEL BETTER
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Just concentrate on getting better!! If you can't eat that much don't force it!! Hope you feel better soon xx
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Just do the best you can. It is not the end of the world if you can't make your 1200 calories. You don't want to make yourself more sick trying to force yourself to eat. Just return to your normal calorie intake when you can.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Personally I actually try and eat close to my maintenance calories when i am sick (I just eat more calorie rich foods that I would normally not eat)....

The way I look at it is that my body does not need more stress when it is already fighting the bugs - so I try and feed it well .....obviously that is just my two cents :-)

Hope you feel better soon
  • wannababyH
    Options
    My husband and I just went through this. You might notice weight loss with this, and then quickly gain it back. Don't let that discourage you! It's just because you've been sick and hardly eating.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yep, your body is doing its job.... see if you can't get some chicken broth or chicken soup down. Chicken is a natural healer. :) Hope you feel better soon. There is nothing worse then being sick and feeling yucky :(
  • JillianDixon
    Options
    I recently had this conversation with my trainer. He said it's ok to eat about 1,000 calories/day depending on what you are eating. Since your sick, it's ok not to eat everything; it's so hard. He said if your eating a lot of protein, you could easily eat only 1,000 calories/day and always be full. This weekend myself, I hit about 1,100 calories both both (which is insane, because my weekends, I usually want to eat everything in sight.) I do try to hit my calories, but sometimes it's too hard, yet other days, I want to go over.
  • radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I am off to nurse another mug of tea.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't log food at all if I'm sick. I don't want to think, "Oh, this soup has so much sodium!" or "Should I log my cough drops?"

Just focus on resting and getting better, and log again when you're back in business.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't worry a bit about not eating your calories..if you feel hungry then eat a bit...but otherwise, your body is just not up to having food...
    Feel better soon!
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    I certainly hope so. I'm horribly sick right now, and have no appetite or strength. Therefore, I'm not eating. I think I would feel worse if I ate much.