eating healthy but going over calorie goal.. is this okay?

Options
i switched out my poor eating habits for good eating habits. but i am always hungry in between meals so i snack on healthy foods like celery with pimento cheese, apples, carrots almonds cottage cheese and pears. Problem is i notice im goin going over my 1200 calorie goal easily.. Even though i snack on apples and celery i still notice afterwords im still hungry so i snack again on something else healthy.. So if these are good foods to eat does that mean its okay if i go over the calorie count if you eat healthy or not .. Just wondering if i willl still lloose weight. Thanks for the input ..

Replies

• CindiBryce
    Options
    How MUCH over are you eating daily? You will only lose weight at a deficit, no matter what foods you stuff in your mouth.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm all for snacking on vegetables and fruit but sometimes you need something with a little fat or protein to satisfy you. If you switch out one piece of fruit with a hard boiled egg or handful of nuts, you might find that it sustains you a bit more.

Also, you can go over and still lose, it just depends on how much you go over and how active you are.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    A) clean calories and unclean calories are the same for weight loss

B) why are you eating 1200 cals when you're 200lbs according to your sig?

C) you will still lose weight not because you're going "over" with healthy calories but because you are still in a caloric deficit
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'd say up your calories to 1500, you'll still lose weight, and will give you some more "room" to not be so hungry. Works for me! :)

Oh and KUDOS to you for eating cleaner - it will make all the difference. Calories matter yes, but the QUALITY of those calories IS very important - though many will try to tell you otherwise.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Also, you can go over and still lose, it just depends on how much you go over and how active you are.

That's a misleading way of putting it. In terms of the weekly balance, yes, one day going over won't hurt. A response like that will confuse the masses into over-eating unless clarified.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you exercise.... But I would try to add some things liked boiled eggs or a spoon of peanut butter... I love to snack ...but lately I've been finding things that kind of keep me from doing it as much. Good luck!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You are hungry because you aren't eating enough. 1200 calories is nothing. You need to up your calories and drink a lot of water. And you need protein....
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie.

if you eat more than you burn, you will not lose, no matter how "healthy" you think that calorie may be.
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    Depends on how much you exercise.... But I would try to add some things liked boiled eggs or a spoon of peanut butter... I love to snack ...but lately I've been finding things that kind of keep me from doing it as much. Good luck!
    It depends on how much she consumes AND how much she burns. Again, as long as she is at a deficit she will lose weight. And also, I advise planning meals in advance to prevent overeating.
  • mysticdaisy78
    Options
    A tasty snack that is very satisfying is Beef Jerky.....1 oz is approx calories. 1oz may not seem like alot, but that stuff is very filling. I have to force myself to finish it =)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I can't really work out why everyone seems to be on 1200 cals lately?? This is not a magic number, its just the minimum anyone should eat to gain a healthy balance of foods and nutrition. You can usually eat more than that. Have you put your details in the MPF calculator for them to calculate a safe weight loss and deficit for you? Are you then eating back your exercise calories??

There is a proven method used on this site that is listed in the forums. You shouldnt feel hungry if you stick to that.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories good or bad. It's calories in / calories out. Up your calories some if you need to. Do look at what you are doing when you feel hungry. Our bodies have a way saying were hungry say while watching TV just because that what it has gotten use to. If this is the case then try changing your routine to take your mind off of it.
  • jb2323player
    Options
    great job!
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    great job!
    Huh?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'd say up your calories to 1500, you'll still lose weight, and will give you some more "room" to not be so hungry. Works for me! :)

Oh and KUDOS to you for eating cleaner - it will make all the difference. Calories matter yes, but the QUALITY of those calories IS very important - though many will try to tell you otherwise.

are you saying 2 diets of identical macros and cals, that one that was "clean" would lose more weight vs one made up of "unclean" foods?
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Change your goal to 1 pound loss per week...
  • Johnny_Castle
    Options
    No it is not okay to go over calories..the whole point of this website is for you to be able to easily log your calories. Before this website I was eating very clean but I never watched my portions or calories and I never lost weight even with lots of exercise. At the end of the day the first law of thermodynamics does not exclude humans. Calories in must be less than calories out for you to lose weight.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    A) clean calories and unclean calories are the same for weight loss

B) why are you eating 1200 cals when you're 200lbs according to your sig?

C) you will still lose weight not because you're going "over" with healthy calories but because you are still in a caloric deficit

agree with this.

I'd hazard a guess that you would still lose weight eating 2000 calories :smile:
  • brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    okay a calorie is not a calorie
    there are good calories like from lean protein, fruits,veggies nuts ect....
    then there are empty calories like from fats oils, ect...

Its not as important how much you eat, its more important what you eat, there are foods that actually help you lose weight by actually speeding up your metabolism and curbing your hunger
  • brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    Options

are you saying 2 diets of identical macros and cals, that one that was "clean" would lose more weight vs one made up of "unclean" foods?

yes that is what she is saying not all calories are created equal