protein intake

Options
I always go over my allowed protein. Is that gonna affect my weight loss goals. Because isn't protein good for building muscle as long as you are working out with it? I am so confused at the moment can anyone help me with this.

Replies

• vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Protein is good. You can go over. MFP has protein set low anyway. I changed mine to 30% and I think my goal is around 90-100 per day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i'll chime in since my eagles are beating the boys right now

the only time going over in protein would deter weight loss, is if it was causing you to go over your TDEE. Also it wouldn't help if it was taking away from your minimum amount of fats you should be getting (roughly .3-.35g of fat per lb of bodyweight)

and you can't really go over something since in reality there is no ceiling on your macros
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you are using the default ratios for protein/carbs/fats don't worry about going over protein as long as you are within your net caloric goals.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom

Change your stats to something like 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat

You WANT more protein... MFP has it backwards imo.
  • netztoy
    netztoy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Great question...glad to know i'm not the only one with that same issue...good luck with your weight loss goal!!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I chose to raise my protein goals. Does not seem to be a problem with me. I intentionally eat more protein.
  • RunningMyButtOff
    RunningMyButtOff Posts: 15 Member
    Options

This is absolutely INcorrect! You're carbs are important, and are your bodies preferred energy source. At minimum, you should have 40% carbs!

A rule of thumb for protein is 1g per pound of body weight. When you're goals become more geared towards vanity, rather than health then worry about the macro ratios.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i always go over for protein and don't worry about it!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

This is absolutely INcorrect! You're carbs are important, and are your bodies preferred energy source. At minimum, you should have 40% carbs!

A rule of thumb for protein is 1g per pound of body weight. When you're goals become more geared towards vanity, rather than health then worry about the macro ratios.

carbs are not essential...

and you should never worry about ratios as you should not be using them...
  • BlJohnston77
    BlJohnston77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Okay I am computer illiterate or something where do you go to change the stats on the website?? :bigsmile:
  • Renabee
    Options
    I know that protein is important for muscle building; however, too much protein can cause kidney problems, headaches, and weakness. So be careful...I to go over my protein intakes some days, just make sure it isnt happening every day.

[http://www.aakp.org/aakp-library/Protein-intake/] Check that link out.n Hope i helped some:)
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options

You are the one who is absolutely incorrect -- in fact you proved it in your answer. If you use the default MFP settings most people would be getting about 1/3 - 1/2 the protein required -- acorrding to YOU saying 1g per pound of body weight. Even using 40% protein does not get me to 1g per pound but its a loc closer than the default.

Also 30% carbs is still A LOT --- close to 100g a day for me which is borderline too high. If you are a female with even the slightest carb addiction or insulin resistance disease (such as type ii diabetes or PCOS) it is extremely helpful to lower your carbs.
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options
    I know that protein is important for muscle building; however, too much protein can cause kidney problems, headaches, and weakness. So be careful...I to go over my protein intakes some days, just make sure it isnt happening every day.

[http://www.aakp.org/aakp-library/Protein-intake/] Check that link out.n Hope i helped some:)

This is only if you have extreme amounts over an extended period of time -- and by extreme, I mean more than most people could even find in a normal day. If you have kidney issues to begin with, this might be an issue.